To go Aluminum or Fiberglass?

I have had lots of both Fiberglass and welded boats. Pro and cons to both you will always get the Ford vs Chevy kind of answer. For me I like welded for a trailer boat . If I was going to have slip in salt water I would buy Fiberglass. Aluminu boats do pound but they burn less fuel. From my experience boats are a trade off when there better at one thing they are worse at another. There is know perfect boat if u have a ton of cash and can buy a couple boats for different applications that would be ideal but most of us are not in that boat so to speak. From your original post I think a welded aluminum would work really well for u.

I've had both. I would not go back to aluminum unless I could afford a 24 pilot house or bigger with a deep vee and some weight to it . I've been in 100k 22 lifetimers and in a silver streak 22 that was worth around 100k and I was not very impressed. They were very nice boats and I like the simplicity of aluminum but the ride was loud and rougher than I would be happy with for that kind of money. I personally enjoy running in my glass boat way more than the aluminum I had . I hit a log this summer at 30 mph right outside kildonan and was surprised to see a small chip in the gelcoat the size of a nickel. I guess mines not a ping pong ball.

It's difficult to settle on the ideal boat for one's self, and it's darn near impossible to prescribe the ideal boat for someone else. I think there are some guidelines that might help him decide though:

Trailering: If you trailer your boat, it can be BIGGER if you go with an aluminum hull - assuming you don't want o buy a bigger truck to go with your new boat. If you already have a monster hauling vehicle, maybe this isn't an issue for you. If the boat that you're towing is lighter, then they are easier to tow and require less trailer infrastructure (i.e. brakes). A lighter package on your trailer means less fuel for your towing rig too.

Storage: If it's sitting in the water, then I think a glass boat is a better bet. No concerns about hull corrosion and you're not towing it every time you fish so no concerns about the weight. Parked beside the house I "hose and go". I never wash, wax, polish, or fuss and I don't worry about rot.

Ride: Given similar size and design, a glass boat is going to ride better. Period. I've been in glass boats that the owner says ride hard and they are still more comfy than my boat in the slop.

Impact Resistance: Aluminum will dent. glass MAY crack or fracture or even suffer a breach. My brother in law hit a deadhead right under the pilot's seat in his Hewescraft doing about 20 knots in the Alberni Canal a few years ago. Once we got it on the trailer it took us a couple hours to beat out the small dent it left. In a glass boat it might have been a different story.

Fuel Economy: I think there are some assumptions being made here. People are assuming that by saying "fuel economy" or "fuel efficiency" the boat owner is concerned about fuel cost. Personally, I don't even think about that. When I think "fuel economy" I'm thinking about range. For example, on a trip to Bamfield, I filled my 48 USG tank (20' ThunderJet Luxor) when we left Port Alberni. We ran out to Bamfield, fished for a week and ran back. I had a little less than a 1/4 tank left. My buddy , running a similar sized Trophy used nearly twice the fuel I did and he had to run into Poet's to top up twice (not complete fills). Of course my boat costs twice as much as his and you can buy a metric $hit ton of fuel for the difference.

Weight: This is largely captured in towing, but moving a boat around at the dock and getting it back on the trailer is easier if it's lighter. More importantly, a lighter boat requires less power to propel and when it comes time to replace the engine, a smaller HP requirement is cheaper.

Purchase and Resale: Glass boats are cheaper to buy but they degrade faster than aluminum. That translates to less of a barrier to entry, but a lower relsale value. Aluminum boats are getting more expensive as demand increases and they have a higher resale value because there are not a lot of them in the local used market. A close friend boat a similar sized glass boat to my alloy and it was fully loaded and ready to rock for $25k. He needs a F250 to tow his boat safely, and mine tows beautifully with a Nissan Frontier. How do these points factor into the purchase price? It depends...

So what does it depend on? Weighting. Look at these factors, and others and decide what is most important to you. Then make your choice knowing that there will be positive and negatives to every boat, glass, aluminum, wood, or even concrete (I owned a concrete hulled sailboat once. It was fantastic).

All these guys saying this is better than that, are probably spot on, given how they use their boats and what is important to them. Any boat owner needs to determine his own weighting of these factors and then intelligently determine his own ideal boat. Most of all, have a great time with it and be kind to fellow boaters. You never know when you'll need a friend on the water.

Good post Franco,the only thing I would disagree with is the glass degrading faster than aluminum.My boat is 22 years old and compares to new,well almost, and I have friends with mint condition 20 year old boats(you know who you are).Your probably referring to the transom and stringers rotting but if their well cared for that shouldn't be an issue.An uncared for aluminum will corrode and I haven't seen a mint 20 year old aluminum.

Good post Franco,the only thing I would disagree with is the glass degrading faster than aluminum.My boat is 22 years old and compares to new,well almost, and I have friends with mint condition 20 year old boats(you know who you are).Your probably referring to the transom and stringers rotting but if their well cared for that shouldn't be an issue.An uncared for aluminum will corrode and I haven't seen a mint 20 year old aluminum.

I don't disagree @Rayvon, there are people who take great care of their gear, always store it in a heated garage, etc. And there are people who just drive the crap out of their equipment. But all things being equal, aluminum will never rot. Most fiberglass boats incorporate some wood in the stringers and transom and eventually, it will get wet. Once it's wet it will rot. Again, it's not an issue if you take care to avoid it, but we're talking about used boats here and this is one area that condition is hard to determine for the average buyer.

Aluminum will develop a grey colour over time if it is not protected with something like Sharkhide, but this is not a degradation or corrosion. Aluminum oxide is actually HARDER than the base aluminum. This is what makes it so difficult to remove. Anodizing is an oxidation process and it is what protects our expensive reels. Some people (including me) don't like the look of the oxidation so we take measures to prevent it. Once every 5 years I take a couple hours and recoat my boat with Sharkhide. No biggie. It is the equivalent of taking care of the wooden components of a quality fibreglass hull.

I was looking at aluminum 20 footers for $45,000.00 with a 115 Yamaha , so I would sell my 2101 Striper for $28,000 even though its in perfect shape and replacement value of $80,000 ? The numbers don't work so I'll keep my Striper and use our old 14 foot aluminum for lakes, I can't imagine anyone paying that much for a crappy tin boat that can't even make it across the Strait.

Franko your sailboat would have been made of ferrocement (cement over a metal framework) not concrete which basically is cement containing aggregates.

Franko your sailboat would have been made of ferrocement (cement over a metal framework) not concrete which basically is cement containing aggregates.

That sounds right. I could not recall the exact name, but it was fun as hell telling people the boat was concrete!

I was looking at aluminum 20 footers for $45,000.00 with a 115 Yamaha , so I would sell my 2101 Striper for $28,000 even though its in perfect shape and replacement value of $80,000 ? The numbers don't work so I'll keep my Striper and use our old 14 foot aluminum for lakes, I can't imagine anyone paying that much for a crappy tin boat that can't even make it across the Strait.

Clearly, you cannot approach the necessary intellectual density required to comprehend the inherent nature of this thread. What works for you in terms of an ideal boat, might not work for someone else. Some people just don't get it.

Decided to weigh in because it appears I cannot really decide:). To date, I have gone through an 18 DE, an 18 Eaglecraft, a 22.5 Campion, a 21 Harbercraft, a 26 Striper (miss that one!), a 23 Campion and am now boat less (probably best decision yet;)). If you are keeping score, that is 4 glass and 2 metals. There are benefits to both and you REALLY need to decide in advance what fits your needs at this time. How much time do you have after use to clean and tidy up? Based on my experience, metal is easier to tuck away. For the dollar and creature comfort, glass is superior. Do you want bells and whistles or plain jane functionality? Each of my glass boats has been awesome and extremely comfortable but I cringed every time I missed a leaf or something on the hull that took hours to clean. With my metals, I didn't feel the need to shine as often and maybe that was just a mindset. At this point, my preference is metal.

Thanks for all the responses. Glad to see all the different views as that's what was playing out in my mind as well. I think aluminum is the way to go for me. Missed a couple real good deals in the past few weeks so now I've got a pretty good idea what a deal is or is not. Got to move quick on the great deals as they're gone the next day. Missed out on one I'm really kicking myself for.

Im a little late on the draw with my two bits, but for what its worth here they are; I know many more guys that own fiberglass boats who wish they had aluminum boats then aluminum boat owners wishing they had a fiberglass.

Im a little late on the draw with my two bits, but for what its worth here they are; I know many more guys that own fiberglass boats who wish they had aluminum boats then aluminum boat owners wishing they had a fiberglass.

the only alu boat owners that i know that want fibreglass have 14'ers.

the only alu boat owners that i know that want fibreglass have 14'ers.
Hey trophy, just wondering if you have the same opinion now? I thought I seen you had recently bought a new glass boat..possibly a Pursuit? I was just also looking at someone selling a 2625 aluminum Kingfisher who replaced it with a 28' Pursuit. Thanks

aluminum. i beat teh crap out of my equipment and at the end of the day i would like metal below me instead of plastic.

I have yet to see an aluminum boat keep up to my Hourston when its rough out. There are no tin guide boats in Tofino
Lots in renfrew( northwest alum) been a
On a few and they ride surprisingly well, they are a heavy alu boat In comparison to a lot of the ones out there,still like the ride of a glass boat myself

Lots in renfrew( northwest alum) been a
On a few and they ride surprisingly well, they are a heavy alu boat In comparison to a lot of the ones out there,still like the ride of a glass boat myself
Yeah, until last year i hadn't fished salt water in BC anywhere else than Tofino since 1986 so i was talking about our area. Not familiar with Renfrew at all.

Also, there are 3 in Tofino now that i know of

1 is a 32 Northwestern, 1 is a 30 ft Weldcraft and Kelly's (which i can't remember what he got)

I'm still happy with my Hourston....it crushes the ocean and it burns 10 gals/hr

No transom rot.
No stringer rot.
No waxing.
Won't melt if on fire.
Can beach multiple times with minimal wear without adding some "strip" to the hull.
Wash and walk away.
10 times the shear strength upon collision.
Most impacts involve denting instead of rupture.
RECYCLABLE!!! (huge these day's and the biggest positive IMO)

Just a few things to think about. Some of them are a major reason for the rise in popularity of aluminum boats lately.

Yes, you can't get the same bow flair that some of the chlorox bottle boats have but the Aussies and Kiwis's are getting close. Some of the newer custom aluminum's that are build heavy are getting a pretty good ride these days. Hence there popularity lately. The fuel economy goes down with weight but they are still beating or on par with the ping pong boats for fuel economy.

I've seen several aluminum boats melt in fires

Honestly, unless you get a properly built heavy built aluminum boat.. they are not great boats imo. Flashy bells and whistles don't make a good boat. Don't make em fishy either

Back