To fluorocarbon or not to fluorocarbon thats the ?

quote:Originally posted by blueorca

Hey, I'm happy if anyone gets out to fish.
Let us know how you like the Kone units.
Take a poll on twenty fisherman get twenty different ways to catch the same fish.

Amen to that!

Just remember plenty of Spit for you Flouro Knots as you cinch-em down. Stuff really holds up.

quote:Originally posted by SIR

Thanks Salt - I was nervous about trying a braided to mono knot as I thought the braided would slice thru the mono under load. If it can take tuna salmon should be no problem.

I think I'm going to experiment with your setup. Trying to rig a thickening of the braided for the clip with dloops or shrink is going to be finicky and time consuming on board if I need to re-rig. Just special ordered some Maxima fluoro as it was a little la-ti-da for our local tackle shop :) Only four knots this way so Blue, FM and Wolf are gunna be happier ;)

I'll fish the braided albrighted to fluoro setup for a while and report back to the board. Now's my time of year for experimentation before the paying guests show up. Haven't managed to get out to test the Kone flashers yet either, too damn much wind, good bite this Wednesday.... if the weather co-operates.....

Thanks again for all the ideas guys.

Ian - Sevilla Island Resort - SIR

I prefer Big Als Fish flash if trolling faster or heavy river currents. Less tangles is seems and they spin faster. The Konezones fish well for nooks and at slow speeds. KZ tangles are rare but when you get them they can be honey's

As to topshot knots be sure a re-tie every 7-10 days if you are fishing alot. With the Albright too many wraps will weakend you knot and make for knot that is hard to evenly cinch down....want avoid one end of the knot super tight while the other end is loose. That will cause the braided to saw thru itself or the mono.

Whew, that albright knot is not the easiest in the world to cinch down cleanly. A third hand would have been good while tieing it sitting in the living room, on the water in a three foot chop is going to be downright fun. It does however seem to hold the fluoro to braided well, now to go find a 30#er to test it....

SIR - I noticed you mentioned the Sunshine Coast earlier in the thread. Where do you normally fish? Pender?

No I'm further north, go to the end of the road in Lund, get in a boat and keep going, and you get to us on Sevilla Island. I fish Grant's reef, Savary Island, Iron Mines, Hernando Island, Lewis Channel and occassionaly swallow the gas bill to hit the mouth of Toba and Butte. We don't go up there too often though as our boat's don't have the pedigree to hang out with all the Resort boats up there, need to get some Grady White labels to slap on the sides :)

So I've been playing with 60# braided to 40# fluoro connection knots trying to eliminate the small titanium swivel I use for converting from braided to fluoro 15' up from my flasher with limited success.

I have been trying albrights and albrights with an extra clinch knot on the fluoro and the fluoro fails by slipping thru the knot every time.

I've been tieing the knot, then putting an old lure on the fluoro and sticking it to a fence post then wrapping the braided around my gaff handle and pulling. With my old setup the hooks would bend before the line or swivel failed. With the new setup the fluoro slips the knots. Granted I'm pulling pretty damn hard but I'd still rather go with a setup where the hook is the first point of failure.

Any other favorite knot suggestions for larger diameter fluoro to braided conversions oh wise ones?

Have you tried the albright both ways?

That is, loop in the braid, and loop in the mono?

Ian

I don't get it, what benifit does adding all these weak spots provide?

Here's what I do - tie my mainline to my flasher, tie my leader to my flasher - lower into the water and catch fish.

What benifit does a section of 70# then 40# infront of your flasher provide?

PS - the issue is that the Scotty clips will not hold the smaller diameter 60# braided line!!! Even with the variable tension Scotty release clips they false release all the time with any type of weed/jelly in the water. So if I have to convert to mono I figure I might as well convert to fluoro to try to minimize the line vis. Experience says I have to convert from the braided as the clips just won't hold the braided...

I have used small diameter swivels for years and reeled them thru the guides and onto the spools but was trying to experiment with a replacement knot to minimize the wear on my rod guides....

Back