Tips for Impeller replace Mercury 4 Strokes

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hey all

I am planning on tackling my impellers on my 200HP Mercury Seapros this weekend I have done plenty of impellers on other engines but wondering if there is anything to consider for these engines? Do I need to know anything specific about the DTS system?

CPM

Impellers an impeller basically. Helps to put the engines in forward gear before you take them off. So you can use the prop to turn the drives haft when putting back on to line up the splines. Just makes it way easier. Do not grease the tops of the shift or the driveshafts.

Hey all

I am planning on tackling my impellers on my 200HP Mercury Seapros this weekend I have done plenty of impellers on other engines but wondering if there is anything to consider for these engines? Do I need to know anything specific about the DTS system?

CPM
My engine is a Mercury L4 Verado which has DTS. One of the best things I ever did was spend $90 on a factory service manual.
My (I don’t know if your application has this) lower unit has splines on the shift shaft drive that you can snap off if you don’t assemble it correctly. I believe the newer gen stuff is a square drive socket and much harder to damage but not impossible.
My maintenance manual tells me to absolutely bath everything in Merc’s 2-4-C before assembling as you can damage the o-ring seals in the powerhead because the driveshaft splines are lubricated with engine oil.
Also make sure you know which way your driveshafts turn so the impeller fins are pre-curved in the right direction.
Again my stuff is probably slightly different then your stuff and I’m not trying to frighten you, impellers are pretty straightforward but there are simple things that could ruin your day if you’re not careful.

Most importantly, have fun

That's a good point. Don't use long strand grease on the spline. Make sure you use a bearing or light grease. Something that won't overheat a seal or an oring

Last edited:
Found it in the Merc Online Parts Catalog! I will order the Manual before getting to work on this project! Excellent Idea Fritz!
I ordered mine through APM here on the Island and they were cheaper than the online prices. Never hurts to try the dealer first.
And the Merc manuals are exceptional. Very clear, concise instructions with detailed diagrams.
Also I’m not sure if you were aware but the Parts catalogues are available for free through the Merc Website.

Back