Tips for ceaning boat canvas covers.

Rockfish

Anyone have any tips for cleaning boat canvas. Mine sits outsides on the boat all winter and has some dried on green algae and seagull crap that I want to clean off. Needs a good deep cleaning but I want to clean it and also not hurt and perhaps restore the waterproofing. The canvas is dirty but still seems to keep out most of the rain water.

Timely question Rockfish. I live beside the ocean so I get a lot of algae buildup. I've heard it should be a mild soap like dish soap and to try whatever you use in a small area, especially on darker coloured tops. Hopefully there will be some helpful advice. Thanks.;) eman

You apcan use a fine polish and buff out you plastic window scratchs. Make sure not to polish one spot to long and get it hot

Use Pledge spray on polish for the windows works great.

How to clean canvas boat tops mildew
½ cup NON CHLORINE BLEACH
¼ cup mild soap per
1 gallon water at 100 degrees f
Soak for 20 mins
Rinse in cold water

was given this from a canvas guy. works for me i use my scrub brush to agitate it in a clean garbage can.

Really, Casper? Polish?
Ya didn't believe it myself. Tried it last year on my side curtains and couldn't believe how great they turned out. It also keeps them soft.

Okay, Pledge spray on polish. I have some old original windows that are stiff from age but otherwise perfect. I should give that a try. Hey, I have some Pledge! It says with natural orange oil. Does it matter what kind of Pledge? It not aerosol but spray on like you said. Thanks

pledge aerosol and pledge orange oil are totally different the aerosol one has wax in it. both oil and wax will fill small scratchs and make it look better. do not leave the oil on it is potent stuff and can eat finishs. I like the Glo orange oil but any (wood) oil works awesome to clean gummed up glass stainless etc. I dont think id use it on your boat top. I might try that 30 second cleaner which is tsp and bleach and then treat it with a really good uv protector. West Marine has some different cleaners and CT has this stuff http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g12310-plastx-clear-plastic-cleaner-polish/ Trotac has a bunch too

Back