Storing Boat throughtout winter

samba123

My boat gets periodically used throughout the winter months. When not in use, it sits on a trailer in my driveway. With all the rain and mix bag of weather that we get in BC throughout the winter, what's the best way to keep your boat mold free? I have a hardtop with canvas that covers the back deck from the top of the hardtop to the stern so the boat is fully enclosed and out of the elements. I also have a boat cover which goes from bow to stern. I used to load up the boat with the moisture remover plastic containers you get from the dollar store but it's a pain to remove them and then spread them out after each outting and I find they are very slow in removing any moisture. I just recently changed to leaving the side windows cracked open wide enough for air to get through without being too wide for critters to camp out inside my boat. I have an oscillating fan which circulates air throughout the boat. Was curious to find out what others here do to keep their boat dry and minimize the chances for mold growth throughout the winter months.

I also have a hardtop with a drop curtain so cockpit and cabin are out of the elements crack ninjas destroyed my boat cover so she gets pine needles and leaves on her but inside ive only ever used a camfrano moisture remover the round silver plug in style ive never had a mold issue inside my cabin or cockpit since I started using it except for the time I thought a tarp was a good idea worst mold year ever!!

whats a crack ninja? do you notice the heat produced by that caframo unit? do you keep the windows cracked open to let some of the warm air produced by the caframo that picks up moisture to escape?

Do a search for winter storage tips. Lots of info been talked about on past threads. You need airflow. Run an extension cord into your boat with a fan or low temp heater. Also use something that absorbs moisture. I just use a gray princess auto heavy duty tarp. Air is able to move under the tarp with the my boat all zipped up.

The Camfrano has minimal heat but when you go in the cabin it is definately warmer then the outside air it has its own fan so air is constantly circulating use the same unit in my travel trailer never a mold or moisture issues in 10 years...

Last edited:
If you don't want mold best thing you can do is put a portable shelter over it, and then if you have a cuddy put a Camfrano in. I have a hardtop with the canvas drop and never put it on. I find it just traps moisture.

Good tips. The temp inside needs to be warmer than that outside to prevent condensation; hence the very low heat output Caframo. My boat is large, so I use a space heater @ 1000watts.

We rebuilt our Hourston in 2006, and decided to invest in a shelter to avoid the problems described. We used to have green algae on the canvas, moss in the window channels and sometimes mould in the cabin.

Under the shelter, I can leave all windows open a bit, and the boat needs a rinse in the spring. I leave a heater set at 40F to prevent freezing.20210128_104628.jpg

Good tips. The temp inside needs to be warmer than that outside to prevent condensation; hence the very low heat output Caframo. My boat is large, so I use a space heater @ 1000watts.

EricL, I was thinking of putting in a ceramic space heater with a timer which turns it on and off for a few hours during the day in combination with a fan to move warm air around. I have heard of fire hazards with space heaters left unattended such as fires etc... I think the chances are low but wonder if it's a higher risk of fire than I am guessing./

We rebuilt our Hourston in 2006, and decided to invest in a shelter to avoid the problems described. We used to have green algae on the canvas, moss in the window channels and sometimes mould in the cabin.

Under the shelter, I can leave all windows open a bit, and the boat needs a rinse in the spring. I leave a heater set at 40F to prevent freezing.View attachment 61177
What brand shelter is that?

EricL, I was thinking of putting in a ceramic space heater with a timer which turns it on and off for a few hours during the day in combination with a fan to move warm air around. I have heard of fire hazards with space heaters left unattended such as fires etc... I think the chances are low but wonder if it's a higher risk of fire than I am guessing./
A heater with a fan runs cooler than one w/o. With my larger boat the heater can be placed at a proper distance from flammable objects. My Marina pays the power bill (I do indirectly) but power is not optional.

Back