tiller handle conversion

bigredsnapper

I have a 2003 Honda 15hp kicker tiller handle. Is it possible to hook up controls to it? It is electric start with auto choke.Thanks for any info. BRS

I can make it work, there is a throttle control available from Cabelas that I can mount up front. My buddy did it to his Honda kicker and he swears by it. It does not start, shut off or change gears but it does save you running back and forth all the time. Thanks LC. BRS

If you're looking for throttle control check this guys out
http://www.troll-masterpro.com/
About $250 for starters or if you're handy get a RC tester plus a servo motor at your local hobbie shop for around $75. Cheaper on e-bay.
cheers

JUST FISHEN'

bigredsnapper
I have a controllking on my Honda kicker motor. I love it. Just put one on my friends Yamaha kicker. He got his from Cabelas.
BS

bigredsnapper
I have a controllking on my Honda kicker motor. I love it. My friend just put one on his Yamaha kicker. He got his at Cabelas.
BS

Hey BS, Cabelas used to sell Trollmaster and now they sell controllking. I think they are similar I know the controllking is $219 on their website and Cabelas. Trollmaster does not show prices so I'll have to phone tomorrow. Anyone know of any major pros/cons with either? BRS

Reading this thread got me moving. My kicker is a tiller model and it is a pain to have to go to the back to set the throttle. I have an EZsteer and with throttle control could run from the helm.

I looked into both the Controlking and the TrollMaster. The TrollMaster Pro II for a merc is $245 plus shipping. Reading comments on the web, the trollmaster appears to be a bit more up to date. It "looks" better with the LCD display for throttle setting, but that may be all flash.

I took the plunge and ordered one. Shipping is supposed to be around $22.

I'll have more comments after I receive it and install it. I'm looking forward to being able to adjust trolling speed from the helm.

With some help from Wolf, we converted my tiller handle 9.9 Ymamaha to remote controls. Cost was $120. I found a used set of Yamaha controls and cables for that price. We had to convert the control from a "push" throttle control to a "pull" throttle control. A bit time consuming but not difficult.

I have to admit that I love the new setup. It is so much better than running back and forth to the kicker to change the throttle setting or to switch from forward to reverse. I would never go back to a tiller handle.

Also, spend the time to think about exactly where to mount the remote controls including the angle. Mine is waist high and at a 45 degree angle which works perfectly.

Back