Tides & Offshore Fishing

tyeeking

I will be making my third trip to Tahsis this year after 10-years of fishing inside waters up at Telegraph Cove. Last year we caught most of our fish offshore (10-20 miles) out of Esperanza Inlet.

I am used to fishing tide changes when fishing inshore. My question to the board is how important are tide changes when fishing so far offshore? Last year it seemed like we did well all day long regardless of the tide when we were offshore.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

quote:Originally posted by tyeeking

I will be making my third trip to Tahsis this year after 10-years of fishing inside waters up at Telegraph Cove. Last year we caught most of our fish offshore (10-20 miles) out of Esperanza Inlet.

I am used to fishing tide changes when fishing inshore. My question to the board is how important are tide changes when fishing so far offshore? Last year it seemed like we did well all day long regardless of the tide when we were offshore.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
I have never had to go 20 miles offshore out of Esperanza, unless you are planning on going after "tuna"? :)
Once at the whistle buoy, just run 220 degrees magnetic 6 to 8 miles and start trolling toward deeper water. You'll catch fish.

Chinook like to feed 1 hour prior to sunrise and travel with the flood, which is your best times, but can be caught throughout the day! They just tend to go deeper!

DSC01311-1-2.jpg

Wind speed and direction are more important than tides when offshore. Generally speaking when you fish offshore of Nootka Island, you want to head straight out until you hit 300 feet of water.. water will gradually get deeper as you go out. Once there just troll along the contour. This is called the highway. Once youre there you'll figure it out. You'll be about 10 miles out.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Back