Thrifty Food's halibut commercials

I like thrifty's they buy alot a stuff from us and do there part to support the local farmers, but those adds the fishermen look like they are twelve

quote:
Trolling for Halibut huh?

Ya, it's those damn commercial Halibut trollers that are taking all the Halibut! [:eek:)] [:eek:)] [:eek:)]

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Believe it or not wizard the commercial trollers "troll" for part of the BC commercial quota. Also those bashing Thrifty's, not everyone can afford the time or money for one of your charters. you may feed 40,000 people with the sports catch but the commercials feed the other 33,000,000 Canadians.

quote:
Trolling for Halibut huh?

Ya, it's those damn commercial Halibut trollers that are taking all the Halibut! [:eek:)] [:eek:)] [:eek:)]

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Believe it or not wizard the commercial trollers "troll" for part of the BC commercial quota. Also those bashing Thrifty's, not everyone can afford the time or money for one of your charters. you may feed 40,000 people with the sports catch but the commercials feed the other 33,000,000 Canadians.

quote:Originally posted by fish4all
...Believe it or not wizard the commercial trollers "troll" for part of the BC commercial quota.

And just where pray tell does this occur[?]
Area G Troll (WCVI) has not even been able to retain a single</u> halibut for a score or more of years now. Same thing I do believe for the North Coast Troll Fleet.
On the other hand I do well know a good many who fish for that commercial halibut quota percentage. Funny, the only "trolling" gear I've ever seen on their boats was the odd salmon rig...

Wondering...
Nog

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin

quote:Originally posted by fish4all
...Believe it or not wizard the commercial trollers "troll" for part of the BC commercial quota.

And just where pray tell does this occur[?]
Area G Troll (WCVI) has not even been able to retain a single</u> halibut for a score or more of years now. Same thing I do believe for the North Coast Troll Fleet.
On the other hand I do well know a good many who fish for that commercial halibut quota percentage. Funny, the only "trolling" gear I've ever seen on their boats was the odd salmon rig...

Wondering...
Nog

There are trollers right here at the dock who troll up there halibut ITQ's. Not exactly sure what area it is. I would think it is west side QCI or inside by Banks. I know that the electronic monitoring had to be adjusted to work with the guys that decide to troll up there quotas.

I truly wonder who's business stands to loose more revenue from the harm that Sushi Hunters images depict? Not the smartest move to use someones trade mark with out their express written permission and where it may cause harm and loss of revenue to said business. Not that it matters to me. It's just a tip! Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

Could not agree more with about the 88/12 :(

Yes Thrify Foods does try hard they try to buy locally first which in my opinion is not a bad thing Keep BC's industries strong
Most grocery stores buy where they can get food products the cheapest
If you look at Thrifty Foods they sell Island Farms Milk pretty much exculsive. Dairyland is Crap and isnt local I dont know if you guys have ever experienced that Dairland soemtimes expires before the expiry date is due but Island Farms usually last a bit past the due date. Same with Paradise Island Cheese they support them big time! they are local company means jobs for us local island people and both companies pay well and treat employees well.
Anyways I would support a company that supports local businesses anytime

anyways the point Im trying to make is they try and have been a major sucessful company starting out only on the island
Overwaite wanted to buy it when the company was for sale
If any of you think you can run a grocery store better I would like to see it! they are not perfect but they try hard Not really fair to bash them IMO

Would you guys rather them buy alaskan Halibut or WCVI Halibut?

I just sent an email to Thrifty's, through their feedback, asking for clarification on the way they catch their fish and explain to then about Longline fishing and such.

Will post a reply if I get one.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by mason.jar

I truly wonder who's business stands to loose more revenue from the harm that Sushi Hunters images depict? Not the smartest move to use someones trade mark with out their express written permission and where it may cause harm and loss of revenue to said business. Not that it matters to me. It's just a tip! Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

I can only hope Sushihunter consulted with Mr. Clown before using his trademark.

quote:Believe it or not wizard the commercial trollers "troll" for part of the BC commercial quota. Also those bashing Thrifty's, not everyone can afford the time or money for one of your charters. you may feed 40,000 people with the sports catch but the commercials feed the other 33,000,000 Canadians.

Holy,, 33,000,000 Canadians eat Halibut wow thats amazing.. So where is it that you got this number from,, a comercial troller ????

IMG_1021-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Sitkaspruce

I just sent an email to Thrifty's, through their feedback, asking for clarification on the way they catch their fish and explain to then about Longline fishing and such.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

I did the same last night and referred them to this forum thread for clarification, so as they would understand my view and position of support for their ads, as they were fairly accurate and informative as well as educational, however, with a slight twist. I suggest Sushi should at minimum edit his image not to use their TM. Just a tip! Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

Goodness, I forgot to add, lets ask a long liner or any commercial halibut fisherman the details of his day in this day and age, from start when he leaves the dock until he returns with his catch what it all in tales! If you knew exactly, then you would honestly think twice about everything that you are trying to take as a sporty, really, what is fair. Lets be honest with ourselves, we are not being screwed over what so ever, we just keep trying to kill more than we truly need! Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

quote:Originally posted by Sitkaspruce

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

So, as I sit here with a blood clot in my lower left leg after knee surgery, I see that late last week, I recieved an email from Thrify's replying to my questions about their "trolling" ad's. I will post it later as I am not at work....yet. Basically it stated that the reel sound was a marketing gimick, and that they did not say trolling any where in the ad's. I replied that they did and added the link that was posted on here.

Today I recieved a phone call from the manager for all seafood purchasing and marketing for Thrify's and he told me that they will/have removed all the ad's that say the word "trolling" and the commercial with the reel sound. They said they were sorry for the confusion and would make sure that what was put in their ad's was the truth.

So I guess complaining sometimes does work:)[:p]

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Only when they care of your opinion.
Good on Thrifty's that's what I call customer service.
cheers

JUST FISHEN'

Blood clot Kenny??? Yike-- scary stuff. Do exactly what the docs say.

Havnt been on the board lately as I am in NZ. But returning tomorrow. Pics and humble bragging will follow!!

And good on Thriftys for listening.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Sorry to side bar this thread but Kenny look after that blood clot, that is very serious. Do more than your docs says, if you are on warfarin make sure your INR is in therapeutic range (ask the doc or pharmacist what your INR should be and watch it, or better yet write it down and monitor the INR) and don't miss having blood samples taken. If you are on a heparin like drug that is an injection, make sure you have the right dose for your weight. Don't miss doses on any of these drugs and don't stop early. Ask about getting mobile, sitting around increases your risk.

quote:Originally posted by salmon9

Sorry to side bar this thread but Kenny look after that blood clot, that is very serious. Do more than your docs says, if you are on warfarin make sure your INR is in therapeutic range (ask the doc or pharmacist what your INR should be and watch it, or better yet write it down and monitor the INR) and don't miss having blood samples taken. If you are on a heparin like drug that is an injection, make sure you have the right dose for your weight. Don't miss doses on any of these drugs and don't stop early. Ask about getting mobile, sitting around increases your risk.

Two shots a day, plus 10 mg of Warfin (rat posion), plus blood work every day until I get my INR between 2.0 and 2.5. Right now at 1.1, most of us are at 0.5-1.0. Have to sit om my a$$ with my leg raised until I get to 2.0. No work, not fire department, no fishing:(

The wife is on me big time and will not let me do much of anything.

Off to see the needle again.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Sounds like you are well taken care of and monitoring your care. Keep up the good work.

Seems these comercials are still running.
Also so an banner ad on used victoria advertising line caught hali.

Tips

who cares, its line caught, just a really long line. Hate to break it to you but Thrifty's isn't the first to stretch the truth advertising.

Back