Halibut Decision Expected Any day

... Canada finished almost dead last..... We are a "big talk no action" player in the world.

And one guess just at who's feet that issue lies...
50516_182985418381215_116976_n.jpg

Going to mull this one over for a bit. Way too pissed off to be completely objective.

Will say for now. Facts being correct or not GLG (I do not know either way if they are) at first read I tend to think you are saying a lot of what I was skirting about in the other thread.

Thanks for your comment fish4all and yes I do see a pattern and I am pointing it out to others.
I have been reading the reports from IPHC and I know that we have lot's of Halibut in the water.
Problem is they are small and if we keep whacking them, then we may be in trouble.
This may take many years to happen but i don't know.
Is it our fault (you, me and FN)? Well it's everyone's fault and problem.
I read a report that compares fishing management around the world.
Canada finished almost dead last..... We are a "big talk no action" player in the world.
We need change from DFO, not speeches and web site articles.
Our science never seems to be put into action.
Our policy is opposite to what we do.
The "precautionary principal" is being superseded by a "section 35".
Kind of "do no harm" to "do harm but make up for it".
Problem with that is it doesn't work very well.

Fish4all we do have common concerns not just with Halibut, and value your thoughts.
I may not agree and I may argue but that doesn't mean I don't want to hear them.
GLG

Not surprising dfo is at the bottom of the list. For 10 years we had an RDG who stuck his head in the sand until pension time came around.

A comment about lots of little ones around. I spent some time with the IPHC staff and they have 2 different points of view. One of the head number crunchers is of the mindset that there are lots of small fish out there. The other asked why are these small fish not showing up in the non-selective set line surveys and are they really there.

I personally like to lean on the side of caution as it is a big butt ocean out there and we know very little about what happens especially in the deeper depths.

Going to mull this one over for a bit. Way too pissed off to be completely objective.

Will say for now. Facts being correct or not GLG (I do not know either way if they are) at first read I tend to think you are saying a lot of what I was skirting about in the other thread.

Jencourt you might want to read this new report in brief
http://www.rsc.ca/documents/RSC_MBD_1_3_25_Twenty-Five_EN_FORMAT.pdf

Others that want to read the condensed version can look here.
Sustaining Canada's Marine Biodiversity: Responding to the Challenges Posed by Climate Change, Fisheries, and Aquaculture
(February 2012) http://www.rsc.ca/creports.php

I have not read the full report yet but it's not looking good from what I have read.
Like I said "all talk no action" from DFO in Ottawa.
Sad state of affairs.

Jencourt you might want to read this new report in brief
http://www.rsc.ca/documents/RSC_MBD_1_3_25_Twenty-Five_EN_FORMAT.pdf

Others that want to read the condensed version can look here.
Sustaining Canada's Marine Biodiversity: Responding to the Challenges Posed by Climate Change, Fisheries, and Aquaculture
(February 2012) http://www.rsc.ca/creports.php

I have not read the full report yet but it's not looking good from what I have read.
Like I said "all talk no action" from DFO in Ottawa.
Sad state of affairs.
GLG thanks for these links. Tons of information here. Only read Exec summary as yet, but what really stood out for me is the panelists have highlighted the conflict of interest in the DFO. I.e. industrial development promotion (aka salmon feed lots, among others) and marine conservation. This came out again and again in the Cohen Commission testimony. I just hope someone is listening and that DFO as we currently know it, is split in two with the emphasis going to the marine conservation side. The recent court ruling about the Orca has handed someone a weapon if they wish to use it. The only problem is the Harper Govt has a disdain and contempt for science because of the "fundamentalist" background and ideology of many of our current crop of conservatives, including Harper himself.

I hear you English.... Wonder how the extreme right would talk if science supported their position?
They would be riding that horse till the cows came home.
GLG

Back