Halibut horribilus for the rest of us

MILLERTIME

Halibut horribilus for the rest of us
1 Sep 2011Times ColonistD.C. REID

“Commercial halibut is considered one of the best managed fisheries in the world.” says the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. That earthquake shaking is 300,000 saltwater sport fishers falling off their chairs. OK, now get up off the floor. Yes, this is the same program you have learned to “dislike.” The public still gets only 12 per cent of its own halibut and the commercial sector still gets 88 per cent of our halibut.
In comparison, 100,000 sport licences take halibut and only 435 commercial, though only 157 boats actually fish. So 1.6 per cent of the fishers catch 88 per cent of our fish. Because DFO couldn’t find any better management method of effecting its faulty “market mechanism” concept, it issued an extra licence, 436. This year sport fishers were allowed to buy fish, er, lease, not buy quota, provided we could find a commercial guy on our way out. Then dicker over the price, stash some cash in his/her pocket, and with some sort of legal evidence go out and catch a halibut.
That has not worked well. The reduced 7.5million-pound total allowable catch, was split so sport guys got about 900,000 pounds as the next management action. Then the next was the public could catch one halibut per day and two in total possession. In the past this has been two/three, and is where we should be now.
The next management action, Aug. 26, tells the sport sector our season is over on Sept. 5. This will likely mean, for the first time ever, our fishery is closed as long as it is open — but not commercial guys who can still catch another two milion pounds. This causes a big problem for sport resorts, not to mention us, who have to phone thousands of clients and tell them about this last minute change, asking whether they still want to come. Would you?
Here is what Robert Alcock, president of the Sport Fish Institute has to say: “This closure will not conserve halibut or increase employment in coastal communities. In fact, it will ensure that Canadian taxpayers will receive less value for their halibut resource. Recreational anglers who want to catch one or two of the fish that they own as Canadians should be outraged at this high-handed decision.”
Alcock also said: “By forcing an unnecessary closure to the recreational halibut fishery… DFO has demonstrated that it is beholden to the commercial halibut lobby and indifferent to the economic impacts on residents of coastal communities. DFO will have to explain to the hundreds of workers in the sport fishing industry who will be affected by this decision why their continued employment is of little importance.”

Stephen Harper said in Campbell River in May during the election that Conservative candidates were not allowed to speak about saltwater fishing and that DFO would have a solution for 2012. The downside is that the damage will have been done. The last time such a late closure was introduced — 1995 for Chinook — the sport lodge trade did not recover for five years. Here are two management strategies that will work: allow sport anglers the traditional two/three, with any overage taken out of the commercial side. Alternatively, DFO should buy 10 per cent of commercial quota and give it to the people of B.C. That management action would solve the allocation issue for the rest of this century.

i dont think that dfo buying 10% is what should be done at all, in essence all that is happening is the taxpayer buying back their own fish with their own money, that doesnt really fly in my books...that like stealing someones boat and then selling it back to them, cmon now..holmes*
Yeah, except you gave their boat to someone else when you didn't own it in the first place ;-)

It has already happened. As I understand it the Feds spent big bucks buying back halibut quota they gave away to their friends just a few years ago (The DFO Millionaire Lottery Winners). They had to buy it back so that they could give it to the First Nations as part of settlements.

I don't care how they do it but they need to fairly resolve the allocation issue and that means a major reallocation of 88/12 or an elimination of the quota system altogether. Perhaps the best financial and social use of this public resource should not include a non first nation’s commercial halibut fishery at all.

Harper and some of the Conservative West Coast MP's promised that this issue would be fairly resolved by the start of the next season, so at this stage we are waiting to see. I am prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt but if it turns out this was just lies to get them through the election, the anger of recreational anglers will fester and grow and there will be another election. If so, we will have the time to prepare and organize and there are sufficient anglers that even our own votes can make it hurt.

I am curious to see if they are arrogant and foolish enough to try and float the moronic, trial balloon failed and discredited quota lease program as the solution. Recreational anglers are not interested in leasing the right to fish a public resource such as Halibut that belongs to the people of Canada from some private Slipper Skipper DFO Lottery Winner or some billionaire fish lord with good political connections. That’s like having your neighbor steel your lawnmower and then offer to lease it back to you each time you need to cut your lawn.

Last edited by a moderator:
DFO should buy 10 per cent of commercial quota and give it to the people of B.C. That management action would solve the allocation issue for the rest of this century.

Ya Jimmy P stole our Halibut quota, but all the whining, crying, and foot stomping ain't going to get it back.
I personalty don't have ten years to wait for a resolution to this problem nor do many small charter operations.
If DFO paying Jimmy P will get me back fishing then do it, I've seen my tax dollars wasted on far more useless things.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many times have you guys been checked out on the water this year by DFO??? I spent well over 100 days on the water this summer and didn't see them once! Go kill your halibut and don't get worked up about all the political BS. They don't have the manpower to police the closure anyway. The majority of people in this province, who fish, completely disagree with the current management program, closures, etc and we have very valid reasons for doing so. Science states that there is no problem with the numbers of halibut out there. Therefore, the only problem we have is our current management issue. All of us agree on this, right? So just go fish halibut, they don't have the manpower or resources to chase you anyway. If all of us continue along as though nothing has closed, the message is going to register a lot sooner. Letters are nice to write and read, but they don't really work now do they? Time to take it up a notch boys and girls. The real question you should be all asking yourselves is - HOW MUCH DO YOU REALLY WANT TO CHANGE THIS QUOTA SYSTEM AND WHAT ARE YOU WILLING TO DO TO MAKE IT HAPPEN????

Angling is a sport. Sports have rules, all of which can be endlessly debated for fairness and morality. Poaching is a choice. Reporting a poacher is a moral obligation for the witnesses if there are any.

This isnt about poaching Tubber. This is about fair allocation of a common resource. Im not advocating using barbed hooks for steelhead or the like. Hell, i have a better idea im going to run "Food Fishing Charters" with my card carrying native buds. It'll be the next big thing you watch.

The 12% is unfair and the method of counting our (sport caught) fish are a joke. So to have a numerical method of dividing the catch is absurd. Should just be Feb 1- Nov 1 with a 10 fish annual limit. Most guys get none and few get more than 20. I have 2 pieces of my 12 lber left to get me through the winter. Good luck with your new venture. I enjoy your stories by the way.

Man I hear ya i'm just frustrated as hell. Nobody likes it and what's worse is that it feels like none of us can really do anything about it!

That's what really gets my goat.

Back