This design looks sketchy....

Dave S

Am I wrong in thinking that this is a sketchy design?

42621921_934.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It may seem sketchy but a lot of the older off-shore boats from the U.S had open transoms like that. My old grady was open like that. I only had waves rolling to the captains chairs once when pulling prawn traps,That was enough!!

It's a self bailing deck. As long as the scuppers are well placed and functional it should be OK.

Are you looking for a new ride Dave?

It's a self bailing deck. As long as the scuppers are well placed and functional it should be OK.

Are you looking for a new ride Dave?

Casually looking. I would love to upgrade to a 19' Arima Sea Ranger (hard top would be ideal). There are a few others I'd consider as well, but I do like a lot of features found in an Arima.

It may seem sketchy but a lot of the older off-shore boats from the U.S had open transoms like that. My old grady was open like that. I only had waves rolling to the captains chairs once when pulling prawn traps,That was enough!!

Key word in this statement is HAD. "It may seem sketchy but a lot of the older off-shore boats from the U.S had open transoms like that."
Self bailing works as long as it's not over loaded, unbalanced, water logged wood, or ineffective scuppers. Also, these hulls were probably designed for 2 stroke power which we all know is both lighter and less common when compared to 4 stroke power. Either way, not for me.

There are some boats call butt cats they are self bailing and have no transom they use them in heavy water and they say they can't be swamped because there is nowhere for the water to hold.

buttcat2.png

buttcat3.jpg

I have a older open transom boat that works well. Don't overload it and make sure your scuppers and bilges are well maintained and she can handle most anything.

beemer

Yup. Seen this set up LOTS in the US.

Like cordoroys, bell bottoms, skinny jeans, there is fashion in the boat world.

WOULD BE AN EASY FIX to fab up a sea wall so that nothing flows out (tackle boxes and small kids???) if the boat took water on a big wave. Just get some of that 3/4 inch puck board, some stainless steel angle iron, and stainless steel hardware. Cut a couple of scuppers and you mount them low, and you are modern!

Drewski

Back