The Provincial Government is proposing to give First Nations a VETO for all activities on Crown Land.

The truly sad part of this is that there has been zero thought on this short and and long term.....

A case in point is that to get ANYTHING done in this province, there is a 101 hoops to jump through and half of those hoops are related to First Nations requests.

Now we are going to have to have FN "permission" to do anything; fishing, hunting, camping, hiking, mushroom picking, want a dock on a lake, run cattle on crown land and most anything else you can think of. I see it already up here in the Peace and the Blueberry decision. Just look at our moose hunting for a good example.

The other thing is that this will be with 204 first nations in BC. Does the NDP think that this will go smoothly?? Hell, just look at the FN that are opposite sides to forestry, oil and gas, LNG and mining just to name a few. Do they think that they will all hold hands and sing kumbaya and all agree to get along?

What a mess this is going to turn this province into!!

SS

I googled how much Crown land is in BC , I'm shocked 94%.

Interesting times we are living in right now. I sent in a submission and signed a petition. NDP enjoy overwhelming support here in BC right now and can do what they want.

My wife was asked to join the band that her step-mom is part of. Might have to look into that and join lol. Bunch of scandanavian band members joining for the purpose of being able to pick mushrooms

I googled how much Crown land is in BC , I'm shocked 94%.
Yup, so the government wants to give total control of 94% of BC’s public land to less than 5% of the population with no vote, no announcement, no nothing. This certainly isn’t a democracy anymore. I sure don’t remember the Ndp mentioning this in the last election, I wonder why? Not even an announcement or press release, zip, just tried to slide this in without anyone noticing. Unbelievable

Yup, so the government wants to give total control of 94% of BC’s public land to less than 5% of the population with no vote, no announcement, no nothing. This certainly isn’t a democracy anymore. I sure don’t remember the Ndp mentioning this in the last election, I wonder why? Not even an announcement or press release, zip, just tried to slide this in without anyone noticing. Unbelievable

They did, there plan was to implement undrip

It was in the 2017 platform

UNDRIP​

Promise: Adopt the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. Act on the 94 calls to action in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission report. Develop school curriculum for Indigenous languages and history. Improve relations with First Nations by ensuring decisions affecting land, air and water respect the law.
Did they do it? Yes, Yes, Yes and partly.

And as there was no votes against it and no discussion about what it would mean, no real way to kill it.

Here’s the link for commenting directly to the gov
Everybody who appreciates access to our crown lands and the opportunity to fish and hunt should be completing this survey.

The BC Cattlemen’s association is going at this full on to try to get this stopped. The BC cattle industry depends on crown land to operate. Passing the amendment to the land act will cripple industry in BC. Everyone should push back against this it will affect us all negatively. The Kevin Falcon interview sums it up perfectly.

Some interesting posts

Cheers

SS

They had some first nations members from the squamish band on the radio talking about this yesterday, They said they have not even been consulted on it and dont want the government to move on it till they have had a chance for input. They said they should have a media release on what they would like to see in the next few days.

Back