Huge ski resort proposed for the Kootenays

IronNoggin

Another big ski resort is being proposed for sensitive wildlife habitat in the kootenays.

The proposed Zincton Resort is a massive ski resort development that would cover 55 square kilometres of the Central Selkirk mountains between Kaslo and New Denver and borders Goat Range Provincial Park. The proposed resort (Proposal Link) passed the first stage of review from the BC Mountain Resorts Branch, and is now in the public comment period phase until November 23.

Irreversible Impacts on Wildlife

The resort proposal risks severing a crucial connectivity link and impacting core habitat for grizzly bears. Intensive all-season usage will displace grizzlies from important huckleberry dense habitat vital for inland grizzly bears. Resorts and resort towns are known to be bear sinkholes that attract and ultimately lead to their demise.

The area is also habitat for sensitive species active during the winter including wolverines and mountain goats, and endangered mountain caribou before being extirpated. The proposed resort is within an area that is amongst the highest wolverine density areas in the West Kootenay. The project will result in habitat loss for females in particular, who avoid high levels of human activity. Mountain goats are also well documented to be highly sensitive to human disturbance, especially in the critical winter months.

Adding a +1,200 person/day resort will greatly increase traffic volumes on the Highway 31A corridor and could result in the loss of wolverine connectivity across Highway 31A.

Simply put, an all-season resort is a net loss of habitat for some of BC’s most iconic species. No habitat, no wildlife.

Loss of Access to Public Land

These public lands are used by backcountry enthusiasts for various activities including recreation, hunting, trapping, and gathering. The Zincton proposal would impact the current access indefinitely. As commercial tenures expand across the province, backcountry recreationists are continually facing conflicts with tenure owners in prime recreation areas. A cumulative effects assessment and regional recreational plans can help alleviate these concerns.

Land-based reconciliation

The governments of Canada and British Columbia have committed to truth and reconciliation with Indigenous people. The Zincton resort proposal lies within piq kiʔláwnaʔ, an important traditional use area named after the rare white grizzly. Consent for this significant change in land use has not been provided by First Nations.

Enough is Enough

The Central Selkirk Mountains are the most heavily-tenured adventure tourism area in BC. Intensive backcountry development and recreation are already stressing sensitive wildlife populations. The proposed area overlaps with two existing tenures: Retallack cat skiing and Stellar Heliskiing and there are more pending tenure applications in the works. More development in the backcountry will intensify human encroachment on this landscape. The cumulative impacts on the ecosystem and socio-economic impacts to the small rural communities in the area have not yet been assessed.

The province’s Mountain Resorts Branch process is flawed and considers developments in a one-off review process. Modern land use planning needs to consider cumulative impacts on the land, water and wildlife.

Please take the time to speak up and protect our wild public lands, waters, and wildlife.

Submit your comments (File 4406015) to the Mountain Resorts Branch public engagement portal open until November 23, 2021.

comment.nrs.gov.bc.ca/applications?clidDtid=4406015&id=61718b9cd7260600227912f0#details

Follow our friends at The Wild Connection for updates local in the area.

If you live in Nelson-Creston or Kootenay West, take it a step further and email your local MLA:

Brittny Anderson, Nelson-Creston – brittny.anderson.MLA@leg.bc.ca

Katrine Conroy, Kootenay West MLA – Minister of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development – Katrine.Conroy.MLA@leg.bc.ca

SUBJ: Zincton Resort

British Columbia BHA
www.backcountryhunters.org/

It’s interersting to see the way David Harley spins this proposed resort:

According to him, it’s all about maintaining or even expanding animal corridors, the remediation of toxic waste dumps left behind from the abandoned mining towns...low impact and net zero carbon footprint etc etc etc

Then there’s this quick one liner that mentions the property he owns in Zincton——from that little tidbit you see the reason for the spin and what’s quietly driving it in the background

Net zero carbon? My arse....

The ski industry, whether it’s getting people to the tops of mountains on gondolas or chairs or letting them climb on their own using skins (which appears to be the “net zero carbon” thing going on with Zincton) , fails to mention that all these people have to get into his parking lot from where they live and they do this in SUV’s and trucks, and 90% of them are driven by one, maybe two people.......so it’s an endless line of SUV’s going to and from these resorts, day after day afer day....I’m one of those SUV’s when the powder flies and admitting to that, it strikes me how obscene the ski industry is every time I’m chugging up the mountain in one of those unbroken lines of carbon drooling rigs

I’m thinking the world at this stage needs less resorts of this type, no matter how “green” they pretend to be

Last edited:
That won't be as easy as one thinks. Mine remediation means that soil needs to go somewhere. I can see this being an issue for them. I would monitor closely each quarry close to that project. He opened a large can of worms there.

The toxic waste will just be moved to somewhere else. Probably already a quarry applying to accept it. I would ask that MLA specific questions on that.

That won't be as easy as one thinks. Mine remediation means that soil needs to go somewhere. I can see this being an issue for them. I would monitor closely each quarry close to that project. He opened a large can of worms there.

The toxic waste will just be moved to somewhere else. Probably already a quarry applying to accept it. I would ask that MLA specific questions on that.
That’s an interesting point. I guess from the town’s name there are zinc tailings to deal with and digging them up and removing them is probably not as easy as some people would like to think

It’s ironic for me to have just caught wind of these resort plans today due to Matt’s post....I was not aware of Zincton up until his post.

Meanwhile, all this week, my younger brother has been hyperventilating at how gorgeous and unspoiled that area is..... he’s on his way there in January so he’s been talking about it for awhile now...He’s been going to that area for a decade...one of those hut guys who choppers in then does the 4,000 feet of vertical a day for 6 straight days on skins with a guide.......and now this news about another “resort” right smack dab in the area he’s been going to....it’ll leave him cold reading about Harley’s plans, just like it will for a hunter or a fisherman or a hiker or anyone else who soaks up outdoor solitude, especially when it’s pristine

It’s always been bizarre to me how some human beings will look at old-growth forest and see gorgeous trees, the miracle of the wood wide web....then there’s are the guys who just see board feet....they sweep their eyes across the horizon and they’re doing mental calculations about how much it’s all worth.... and how might they get some of that

Please excuse the mixed metaphor but those guys reminds me of lodge owners on the Kispiox and Bulkley and the guides that run their sleds

Last edited:
Back