The OFFISHAL Vancouver 2011 Reports Thread

Several Tyees have been caught , I would try the bell. I know of a 33 plus taken at the t10 last weekend and to in the 38 range were taken between there and the bell. Cap may be worth tring also.

anyone out in the north arm right now and if so what is the wind like. I have a smaller boat and enviro canada is calling for strong winds. Thanks

Several Tyees have been caught , I would try the bell. I know of a 33 plus taken at the t10 last weekend and to in the 38 range were taken between there and the bell. Cap may be worth tring also.

thanks dmurph. Are the springs late or are there not as many as the last year?

Got into a double header right off the bat at 530am of a 28lb white male and a 24lb red female, one on spoon one on pink needlefish(not squirt). Boxed one sock and one pink and lost a couple more.

I picked up a 29# white,a 26# white and a 16# red ,Lost 2 in the high teens at the boat last weekend all on bait ! See what happens tomorrow.

Yeah haha sure was, had the guys up front watching for wood on the ride out. We were out off T10 in around 450' of water. Would post a pic if I knew how!

"Tidal recreational fishery retention of sockeye is open until further notice,
except in area 29, which will change to sockeye non-retention on September 6th.
Check with specific Fishery Notices for further details."

"Tidal recreational fishery retention of sockeye is open until further notice,
except in area 29, which will change to sockeye non-retention on September 6th.
Check with specific Fishery Notices for further details."

Followed with a "Seiner / Troller and Gill Net opening for the remainder of Sept in Area 29 Only" , not true but it wouldn't surprise me !

Looking forward to the next few days and finding more of the Sox ...... along with the Big Bugger Springs that we are picking up as incidentals. Also taking some BIG bait for them Biggies when we get tired of Sox and Pinks.

Good luck everyone ! See you out there, ta heck with it, sleeping on the boat the next couple nights.

That will make for an early start,...... haaha

HT

Pretty fun out there today although there were some slow periods .....fished 5 hours targeting socs of course......starting late morning and managed a limit of mainly socs ( and another red chinook today) Had to sift through many pink schools though to find schools of socs

IMG_5341brmarc.jpg

IMG_5336marc.jpg

Nice work Peahead! Where did you find the sox and at what time roughly? I was out today between tides at the red can with only a lost one and a couple nibbles. Was targeting springs but tossed some sox gear down to see what would happen but nada. Wind was looking nasty this morning.

Question: are u guys mainly using chovies to target springs? I usually do, but i have a bunch of hootchies and spoons that i never use. Suggestions for hootchie/spoon set-ups?

New to the forum, and fishing. I'm heading out tomorrow for only my third time ever fishing. Haven't had much luck, but after reading all the tips on here hopefully that will change.

Hey Revenge and Demco, how deep are you picking up the Springs? As I said I'm new here and just read a whole bunch of the Vancouver happenings and noticed a debate earlier in the thread about fishing deeper/shallower for springs. Just wonder where you guys had your luck.

See ya out there
Bonkers

Hey Guys, been lurking for a while trying to gleen knowledge as best I can.

I'm new to fishing in the chuck, having spend most of my fishing life in rivers and lakes.

I have been out a couple times (last weekend and the weekendbefore) and of course got skunked while every boat around me cleans up. Frustrating (and costly) but of course part of the process working the kinks out. Aside from a shaker, and a flounder, we don't have anything to show for our misguided efforts.

Just wondering, typically how many "pulls" out do you run your gear before attaching to the downrigger?

I'm sure it differs from day to day and species to species, depth, current, wind etc...but any pointers to this would be appreciated.

We're going to be out there again this weekend in our yellow tinny.

Hey Damien,

Here's how to catch pinks:

1. Use small pink hoochies as your lure. The smaller the better. If you have the full sized pink hoochies clip the tentacles short and pull out every second one to make a small sparse lure. (see attached photo)
2. Use pink haze, purple haze, green or steel flashers.
3. Tie the leader (the length of line from the flasher to the hoochie) at 17" to 20". Pinks love the increased action of the short leader.
4. Clip a dummy flasher onto the cannon ball of your downrigger. You can clip it directly onto the ball backwards if you like. It still works.
5. Lower the ball 6 feet into the water and attach your clip to the cable.
6. Let out about 8 feet of line behind the boat and clip the line to your downrigger.
7. Lower the cannon ball to about 35 feet if you are fishing at the north arm. 40-50 feet if you are at t-10 or sandheads.
8. Try to stay in about 80' to 120' of water as this is usually where the pinks are concentrated.
9. Troll slow, about 2mph, try to maintain about a 30 degree angle on the downrigger cable.
10. Reel in your Pinks!

The easiest way to find a school of pinks is to look for jumpers. Then stop in that area and start trolling. If you have a depth sounder you can mark exactly what depths you need. If you are getting flounders, you are too deep.

I was out yesterday and caught and release about 16 pinks between T-10 and North arm using exactly that setup.

For sockeye the above setup will work only add some more dummy flashers. Also they tend to be slightly deeper in the water column, 50-70 feet down in 150-300 feet of water.

Cheers

Attachments

• pink or sockeye lure.jpg
    pink or sockeye lure.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 77
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Springs demco!
- There certainly are a few around for sure .....we had another on today between soc flurries this afternoon...it looked quite big, perhaps Tyee class or close and certainly fought as if so, but after a couple great runs and then zipping from port to starboard at warp 10 he spit the hook. The springs I have been getting have been incidental, while targeting socs. We brought 14 socs to the boat this afternoon, (released 2 as 12 was our limit) We released all our pinks and lost lots of soc and pink. We fished noon to 4:45 and then zipped into the inner harbour to pick up my daughter at the seaplane terminal .

IMG_5360socsept.jpg

Back