The OFFISHAL Vancouver 2011 Reports Thread

I'll be fishing em hard all weekend then.. are most of you guys using pink squirts as in needlefish or plankton size? Going to Nikka this morning to stock up and pre-tie a ton for this weekend..

Hey demco99 I v'e seen you out there a few times . I'm in a 25' Revenge with a black soft top 250 yamaha .
Thats a nice boat you have. I'll give ya a wave next time .Probably did already but at least I'll know who it it next time lol
I'll be out Friday for sure.
Dan

I guess you didn't read the thread but you did post on it. After the commies opened up it wwent to crap and thats when we got there.I'm very surprised you didn't follow Island Girls action on the matter.http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?15839-2011-Sockeye-Run-Port-Alberni/page13

I am reading the date of your post.....

Are you talking about Chinook or Sockeye. Cause if you were there looking for sockeye in PA that weekend yes it would have been really slow. Now if on that weekend you were in PA fishing for Chinook was great and still is. Maybe you were targeting the wrong fish.

Oh, and yes I do follow Island Girls actions on the matters. She is doing a great job.

Last edited by a moderator:
An meeting update I get from DFO. They want to protect Cultus Lake Sockeye.

Hmmm yeah thats what they say ......

There is a slight possibility that just the Fraser River will close Monday night , but don't hold your breath.

I promise a fishing report after my rant , so read on....

While its great we are having a sockeye fishery this year and I realize sporties don't have priority on socs ( FN and commercial does) it really is absurd to close the recreational saltwater (ocean) soc fishery in the name of protecting Cultas fish. Commercial siene nets are open from Sandheads to Steveston for goodness sakes ! I won't even mention all the other nets all over the river. Think how many Cultas socs will be killed by all the nets combined in the river vs killed by you and I in the ocean, trolling ? I have yet to hear anyone killing or even catching a Cultas fish yet this year in the saltchuck. I caught 1 and released it last year. ONE! ( likely got caught in one of those nets in the river! ) This is a political closure because we don't have priority on sockeye so to close those that have priority , sporties have to close first .

If DFO wanted to protect Cultas fish, the nets would be out of the river - Allowing sporties to keep socs they caught trolled in the ocean would not put Cultas Lake Sockeye in danger.

Now for the report - Socs are still here and then some ! Only out for a quick fish from 1230 - 2 pm this afternoon ... rough water/nasty conditions for a small boat but awesome Soc action- 7 socs , (boxed my 4 limit and released 3 ) and lost several socs , I think mainly due to the 3' seas and doing everything by myself was tough . Released several Pinks too...

Good to hear they are still there, if they want to protect fish maybe they should stop nets from being filled with dead fish .

I'll be out tomorrow with a old college friend and our kids! Should be a hoot. I love taking out kids and he's a first time Salmon fishing.

I'll be out tomorrow with a old college friend and our kids! Should be a hoot. I love taking out kids and he's a first time Salmon fishing.
I am planning to be out as well tomorrow - a ten year old and and 2 adults ...that act like 10 year olds :D

The deal is is that Sockeye are A COMMERCIAL FISH,SO we SPORTIES do not have any clout...FACT..The mouth of the Cap is non COMMIE.FACT....Were else can you plunk jour boat in and and travel 10 minutes from False Creek and have great opportunities to catch great fish.....not many places.Maybe some others would say OFF of Victoria.,Or offshore a mile or 2 from UKE or BAMFIELD.BUT vancouver in close for those late BIG springs into october and sometimes into the first week of NOVEMBER can be FRICKEN wild............WILD-WEST

Can't agree with you more Pea head, and, what about the Thompson Coho and Steelhead. The DFO is a JOKE, NO Nads ! Backed by Politicians that have ZERO spine, same clowns as the 88 to 12 ration on Hallies. Pathetic ! You wonder what has happened to the Thompson COHO and Steelies, now the Cultus Sox ! Just check out the Catch and Release of the F/N gill nets. Next up, opening for Chum right in the thick of the 2 migrations.
They will Never realize how much the Sport fisher puts into this economy till they shut us all off. Then the tackle shops, gas stations, boat builders and marine repair shops all BUST !

Wake up DFO ..... is there ever any one home there?

HT

I am planning to be out as well tomorrow - a ten year old and and 2 adults ...that act like 10 year olds :D
Were are you planning on lanching your boat from and what area are you going to fish.
Need a little bit know how (New to the area)

Were are you planning on lanching your boat from and what area are you going to fish.
Need a little bit know how (New to the area)

Launch at Mc Donald Beach Park by the airport. Run down the North Arm of the Fraser and hang a left at the mouth and start fishing heading south. Fish around 50 feet down in 180-200 feet of water. Good Luck

Launch at Mc Donald Beach Park by the airport. Run down the North Arm of the Fraser and hang a left at the mouth and start fishing heading south. Fish around 50 feet down in 180-200 feet of water. Good Luck
Thanks alot Blackmac for the info.

hey guys,

anyone been targeting strictly springs out there? wheres my best bet for them? and have any tyees been caught lately?

Back