The OFFISHAL Vancouver 2011 Reports Thread

So does anyone know if the Sox fishing is over?

area 29 will be closed at midnight, but area 28 remains open. so basically draw a line from point grey to point Aktinson and fish away for sox's inside that till your hearts content, there was a ton of them in there today.

Last edited by a moderator:
opps, Thanks tubber & gidyup,

Saved me from fishing ilegally tommorow , I really didnt see the posting maybe just getting to old to read LOL.
I have deleted my posts re 29 still open and again THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP ON THE PROPER INFO ....

AREA 29 CLOSED FOR SOCKEYE AT 00.01 SEPT 6 -2011 BUT AREA 28 STILL OPEN ...!!!!!

area 29 will be closed at midnight, but area 28 remains open. so basically draw a line from point grey to point Aktinson and fish away for sox's inside that till your hearts content, there was a ton of them in there today.

Yes, the fishing inside that line has been phenomenal the past number of days. We picked up our limit of 8 in an hour on Sunday night and then had 5 people on the boat today and ended up two shy or our limit with 18 sockeye and we lost at least that many again as we had two young boys on board who we learning how to play salmon. Absolutely phenomenal fishing.

Yes, the fishing inside that line has been phenomenal the past number of days. We picked up our limit of 8 in an hour on Sunday night and then had 5 people on the boat today and ended up two shy or our limit with 18 sockeye and we lost at least that many again as we had two young boys on board who we learning how to play salmon. Absolutely phenomenal fishing.

What he said, unbelievable couple days

I managed to land a couple today and lost a couple but it took me all day to do so! What type of a set-up are you running and what depth? I must be doing something wrong here..i'm running:

Cannonball then dummy flasher 5' back off the downrigger line. 8-10 feet up and 6-12 feet back off the boat my release clip and green flasher with pink hootchie about 20-24" leader.

My boat trolls a little fast (no kicker) so i slowed it down towing some buckets which helped alot. I compared my speed to other boats and seemed to be going the right speed. Are Kone-Zone flashers or just more dummy flashers the trick?

What type of a set-up are you running and what depth?

I have been running a kone zone flasher right above each cannonball at 55 feet with flashers and pink squirts running on each side five feet and fifteen feet above the ball/kone zone (that is, lines at 50 ft and 40 feet on each side). The squirts are on 26 inch leaders behind green flashers.

Slower

I have been running a kone zone flasher right above each cannonball at 55 feet with flashers and pink squirts running on each side five feet and fifteen feet above the ball/kone zone (that is, lines at 50 ft and 40 feet on each side). The squirts are on 26 inch leaders behind green flashers.

Similar. Except I'm using 18-24 inch leaders., first set 3 feet above kone zones. One side at 56, other side at 45. Flasher colour doesn't seem to matter. I'm running a variety of colours. I also saw a Sock landed on a full size White Hootchie and on Anchovie on Suinday

Today was slower for me. Got out about 12. Nothing for 2 hours. Then 3 hookups within about 5 minutes. Then a Triple header. Then a double in the next 20 minutes. Packed up and headed in. Sunday it was "ON" from the time I put the rods in to the time I pulled them up.

We picked up one shy of our limit (15) monday, thanks to the info posted on this board. We lost about 5, and threw back a pink. We caught 13 of them on a small hoochie with a white glow head and about 3 pink legs. We did really well with these hoochies last year. Most of the fish were caught at 65 and 75. We are running the gear about 6 feet from the clip. Some really big fish, after they were cleaned and heads off they weighed in at 75lbs or average of 5lbs clean.

opps, Thanks tubber & gidyup,

Saved me from fishing ilegally tommorow , I really didnt see the posting maybe just getting to old to read LOL.
I have deleted my posts re 29 still open and again THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP ON THE PROPER INFO ....

AREA 29 CLOSED FOR SOCKEYE AT 00.01 SEPT 6 -2011 BUT AREA 28 STILL OPEN ...!!!!!

I cannot find this on the DFO website all that comes up for me is as follows

*** Sockeye

Sockeye: Aug. 25 until further notice: the daily limit for sockeye is four (4) per day in: Area 29 (Strait of Georgia and the tidal waters of the Fraser), except Subarea 29-8 (Boundary Bay).* Listed 24/08/2011 FN0784

Regard's Dan

I personally think DFO should make it harder to follow the closures. It's easier to follow the instructions to set a new DVD player the know which fish I can keep. Maybe next year they could put new rules in place too, like if you stick feathers in your hat and dance around like a chicken when you're landing a fish, you get to keep it....

Thanks for the tips Teja! What color Kone-Zone's are you running? Do you use them for only Sox/pinks or do you also throw them out for springs? I got to get me a set for next year. Do you also have very few legs on the squirts? How far back off the boat is your flasher/squirt before you attach your release clips?

I was out on monday no kone zones and no dummy flashers. Downriggers set at 49 feet, red flasher 10ft behind ball and a pink hoochie with a glow head on it! We got so sick of sitting and standing we removed the chairs and stood for the last hour. I can see why people use these attracters but if you got a sounder look for the schools and you'll nail em.

Anybody get out today? Are they still nailing sox inside the harbour?

Thanks for the tips Teja! What color Kone-Zone's are you running? Do you use them for only Sox/pinks or do you also throw them out for springs? I got to get me a set for next year. Do you also have very few legs on the squirts? How far back off the boat is your flasher/squirt before you attach your release clips?

Bondo - I have used the Green kone zone flashers for the last two sockeye seasons (I think they are the "cracked ice" finish). While I personally wouldn't use them for late season spring fishing at the Cap, I have also tried them early in the season when the spring are feeding and biting more agressively and are less easily spooked ... it would be a good question to ask someone at Nikka Industries as I believe they are the sole local vendor and will have the best feedback. For sockeye, we have been running between 10 to 15 feet from the flasher to the release clip.

I was out there today. 9:00am to 6:00pm. Sox were there and biting. I managed to lose 4 nice sox at the boat trying to net by myself this morning.

I moved over to the north arm around 3:30 PM and nailed a 14lb red spring and a 7lb pink. Huge pink. Lots of fun playing a spring for a change.

Sox are still there if you want em.

Yep, still there and in excellent numbers too. Bright Chrome and definitely some of the hardest fighting sox I have seen this year. Easy boat limits.

Back