The "New" Restrictions on Chinook Are Up

Same sad BS regs. that are an over reaction to the unfounded demands of ENGO's that screws the public fishery and all the businesses and local economies that depend on the public fishery. We eventually end up like the east coast where the fishery is divided up between the FN's and the commercial sector, with perhaps a tiny public fishery for the very rich who can pay for it.

We seriously need to think about how we can take this govt. to court to stop them from taking away all our public fishery rights (i.e. access to common property resources) before it is too late!

Same sad BS regs. that are an over reaction to the unfounded demands of ENGO's that screws the public fishery and all the businesses and local economies that depend on the public fishery. We eventually end up like the east coast where the fishery is divided up between the FN's and the commercial sector, with perhaps a tiny public fishery for the very rich who can pay for it.

We seriously need to think about how we can take this govt. to court to stop them from taking away all our public fishery rights (i.e. access to common property resources) before it is too late!
Fishing is basically my RELIGION....... the areas I fish are my Church ......... They are denying me my faith by shutting down the fishing

And it closes again for the fourth straight year with barely a whimper from the fishing community.
Odd how we adjust.
It is sad, I think most of us on this forum have written our fair share of letters and made others aware of the disgrace front office DFO employees are to the industry. I’m not throwing in the towel but it has been quiet this year for sure in terms of outrage

It is sad, I think most of us on this forum have written our fair share of letters and made others aware of the disgrace front office DFO employees are to the industry. I’m not throwing in the towel but it has been quiet this year for sure in terms of outrage
I have written a letter every year for the past 5 years and still have not even had a acknowledgement of any of them.

I have written a letter every year for the past 5 years and still have not even had a acknowledgement of any of them.
All measures tried so far have been USELESS. Until a new, more radical approach is taken, the same results can be expected. Just look around at what the real protesters do.

I am fishing myself. This announcement didn't come as surprise. It was known in the fall on here that this was the route department was going to make. Anglers at our Area 17 were also told this at our spring meeting with DFO present.

I think it sucks as well but I am not going sit and cry about it. Until anglers unite and stop bickering and support some of the groups which majority are unpaid I see no changes. Sorry just being real with you all.

We need the majority of anglers to be engaged not just the 5% that post here and read this. We also need our meeting to get back to several hundred people on all SFAC's.

What I am personally doing? I am going out anyway and will be collecting DNA data in straight of Georgia when I salmon fish. Not going to stop fishing.

Unless the Fraser river turns around we are going to see the same round of closures for years to come. No change in government is going to make any difference if stocks remain low as they are. We need a marked selective fishery which groups are still trying top push for to alleviate in meantime, and then a government dedicated to salmon enhancement/recovery.

Just me view. It's totally OK to be angry but it is not any of the groups that support you fault. Totally Ok to vent on here I get it.

Last edited:
Unless the Frsaer river turns around we are going to see the same round of closures for years to come. No change in government is going to make any difference.

I disagree with this, Fraser Returns actually don't have that much to do with restrictions. Based on my conversations with local fraser river DFO resource managers its mostly to do with FN allocations especially when you start getting into the August restrictions. If more fish would help we would of seen less restitions this year as Fraser FNs will most likely get over a million sockeye allocated to them for FSC. With FSC being met with sockeye there is no reason for them to have 30K plus fraser summer 4-1 chinook allocated to them and that would free them up for ocean fisheries.

Pretty much all the stocks of return are also in the river by August 23rd, DFO's on science is pretty clear on this.

What we are seeing is a result of Minister decisions based around FN allocations, ENGO Lobby and PMO policy. If you recall back in 2018 with the A and B options put out by lower level DFO staff based on scientific measures they were much less restrictive then what the minister ultimately decided. Some of these restrictions were actually planned to go back in 2008.

A conservative government would make a big difference for recreational access to fish.

Also lets not forget about the goal posts being moved, Its not Just about fraser stocks of concern but also, GST stocks of concern now like squamish, Nanaimo and others.

You are right though a MSF does see to be the only path forward.

A minister that's more favorable to the recreational fishery IMO would make a HUGE difference.

Back