FN0294 FishingBC App Catch Log will now Sync to Your License and is a Valid Record, even when Offline

Now all we need is someone to show us old guys who are visual learners how to operate the App. I only figured out how to post pictures on here a year ago.
Click/tap on stuff and see what it does, take notes if needed. Read the “help” section if there is one. Google things that you’re not familiar/unsure of.

Which could result in a court appearance for Obstruction ...
Yep, I like the forward thinking and use of technology by the department, I would just be curious to see how many phones are having to be purchased by the department for accidental drops. Regardless if it is dropped or not the Officers should be able to run the log and see if they have recorded anything prior to the accidental or intentional drop.

Does this mean you have to hand your phone over to Fisheries guys or RCMP so they can look at your license? I do not see that happening.
The Dept is recommending that you put your phone in airplane mode prior to handing it over. At the end of the day, Fishing and holding a licence is a regulated activity in which you voluntarily participate. By doing so, You agree to any and all licence conditions imposed by that licence. . That includes producing your licence and proof of compliance with recording. You always have the option of holding and recording catch on your paper licence, the Dept is just giving you some convenient and modern options now.

CR Greg

This is great. The app is super useful when out on the water. We can still do paper recording if we want, so those of us who don't want to share this data through the internets, no problem.

Some will be comfortable putting personal data online, others won’t. Good to see there is a choice. Read the security policy before deciding.

Some will be comfortable putting personal data online, others won’t. Good to see there is a choice. Read the security policy before deciding.
Hate to break it to you, but everyone’s personal data is online. Unless you don’t own a computer or smartphone, have zero accounts anywhere, and live in an off-grid shack in the woods.

I would hope that with an online catch recording system, it would be connected to a database that can be accessed by DFO officers. Now, if you’re in an area without cell coverage, it wouldn’t update immediately, but otherwise I don’t see a reason to hand over your phone so they can cross-check your catch logs to your name and angler number. Either way, if you have a smartphone, any social media accounts, or even a personal computer, your personal data has been collected and sold a million times. Not sure the tinfoil hats are necessary with respect to the government, considering the existence of things like drivers licences, SIN cards, etc.

Back