The Mac beach stop and drop poaching

fishin solo

Crew Member
Last Saturday afternoon we were launching to go fishing I saw something that caught my eye. After numerous times trying to talk to the operator of the vessel as we were right beside him curious he finally answered and told me they had yellow eye. I then asked wow how many did you guys get and where? he then proceeded to speak in Chinese to the passengers purposely avoiding talking to me. What I witnessed was 8 garbage bags full and 4 Asians up the dock and gone. So of course I called dfo and reported it while right beside the Grady. As I was talking to the dfo officer on the phone I explained to him this is the same outfit that has been doing this for years out of the same dock and same time everyday. Does anyone else report these people ? The name of the boat is "porpoise envy" 23' Grady
db004fbb7642d85ccdcf198e0895525d.jpg
4d0dcea485742fa3fd866f0035febf65.jpg
0bbef730e091cb25345b5cd1e524ae36.jpg
6bce2f3a4dc35bd6ca050509d7bbeeef.jpg
1a5f6db1c71ce7cd4a5fa5dbb04b2af5.jpg
5dce154e135922eff15299e76aaaabde.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what did DFO have to say about it?
Good on you for calling it in

Sent from my rotary phone using tapacrap!

Honestly it's pretty sad.... They just took the info I was very descriptive with him gave vessel # and name of boat. I see why it's been going on for years !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That one sunk, apparently this is the replacement

There have been many posts about these poacher boats. 9 out of 10 times you will see these boats at McDonald. Often making two runs out per day, with the same black garbage bag results.

There is a Grady catamaran, a large white kingfishers, and this 23' that I know of, though I think one of them flipped and sunk last year, possibly the cat.
Good on you Fishin Solo for making the call. Anyone who launches at McDonald is aware of the rampant poaching by these boats. If you see it happening, make the call. Hope for change.

See it in Nanaimo too LOTS! 18Ft Lifetimer with t-top. Want to lose my *&%$! everytime I see it and they are at Brechin all the time. Never with downriggers and year round. DFO cant do a thing. Last time I saw them they had a cooler on wheels and a garbage bag and were heading right for the ferry terminal. 35 bucks round trip for raping and pillaging this side freaking disgusting creatures I tell ya.

Time for a "park in" by all the people that do follow the regulations. Call DFO, then park trucks/trailers in the way of the exit until they arrive.

These guys don't launch there. After the customers get their fish in the plastic bags, they leave by vehicle and the boats leave and go somewhere else.

Makes my blood boil at the act....and that EVERYONE knows it is going on but nothing is done about it.

everytime some one see this ..call it in .. Get pics of the boat and the boat number .... they will be caught just a matter of time.... this is a really serious problem in the Salish seas/ Georgia strait and needs to be dealt with.. does help the ling cod pop. either.. i

if your out and see them just motor up close and snap some pics,
if they're up to no good they'll probably take off

It happens all over the W.C coast;they are jigging and hitting all the reefs...not much different than other unnamed sectors who sell numerous species, out of season,undersized...without fear of punity :mad:

These boats are moored at mill town. Playing devil's advocate, how do you know poaching was going on? Who's to say they didn't have their limits of rockfish and ling cod in those garbage bags?

If these boats are moored at Milltown, why are they meeting guests at Mac beach, or maybe they don't allow charters to operate out of MT.

These boats are moored at mill town. Playing devil's advocate, how do you know poaching was going on? Who's to say they didn't have their limits of rockfish and ling cod in those garbage bags?

Play devil's advocate ALL you want.....this operation is NO mystery. They pick up and drop off at McDonald....TOO many eyes to walk past at Milltown. ;)

I applaud them if they DID go to the Gulf Islands AND took their ONE fish of rockies or lings. But when I have seen them at Seymour Landing, Brigade Bay, Southeast corner of Anvil ALL in closed areas with a bunch of rods down jigging pulling in rockfish.....I am pretty sure that's poaching. I have called DFO on them more than a few times and know a number of others who also have.

Play devil's advocate ALL you want.....this operation is NO mystery. They pick up and drop off at McDonald....TOO many eyes to walk past at Milltown. ;)

I applaud them if they DID go to the Gulf Islands AND took their ONE fish of rockies or lings. But when I have seen them at Seymour Landing, Brigade Bay, Southeast corner of Anvil ALL in closed areas with a bunch of rods down jigging pulling in rockfish.....I am pretty sure that's poaching. I have called DFO on them more than a few times and know a number of others who also have.

Back