The Good News Thread

Stizzla

Crew Member
With all the BS that keeps getting us down such as; covid, flooding, gas shortages, fishing closures, Gill netting etc, I thought it would be fun to have a thread where only optimistic things can be said.

I will go first:

Good news everyone! It’s been a beautiful weekend, and I’m going to get my nice green lawn mowed this afternoon. My birthday is coming up soon and I think I’m going to snag a stereo system for the boat.

Great news is I’ve had a wonderful first year of my new career as a developer and project manager, and I am hoping to move to a gorgeous new home in a few months. I’m even going to add covered boat parking and a storage room for fishing gear :)

Okay… your turn.

My wife and I both enjoy excellent health, and I've retained stable weight since losing 60 lb in 2019. Both my children have good jobs and both grandkids attend school 2 blocks from us so we see them almost every day.

Health and family, it's all minor beyond that.

My wife and I with our 2 little dogs are getting settled into our winter home in San Jose del Cabo, Mexico. Haven’t been here since Covid hit. Will enjoy the warm sun the beaches and a little fishing. Be back late April

Attachments

• 90BA0950-B03E-42EC-9228-10CA75487894.jpeg
    90BA0950-B03E-42EC-9228-10CA75487894.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 55
I see you made the most of the money you won off of me from the leafs sucking at hockey.
My wife and I are looking forward to the invite!

Although I could write a lot of different things that I would consider good news I will go with the most recent.
My sons U13AA hockey team was just excepted out of 340 teams to attend the Quebec City International PeeWee tournament. They will be playing in the AA Elite division. It’s the first time in 27 years that a team Fort Mcmurray has made it in and never at this high of a ranking.
They are 15-0 on the season and it’s been a lot of fun to see my son and the whole team progress. It’s one of those groups that just seems to get better every time they are on the ice. Pretty excited to see how they stack up in February.

My grandfather put 10 grand into this place in the 60s to become a shareholder. Those went to my mom, and now my siblings and I own the shares. It basically gives us 30 days a year at 70% off the going rate. We arrived last night for our first visit since becoming shareholders and Covid. Beachfront walkout with lanai and kitchenette for $154/night.
Since I practically own the place, I'll give a plug, so if you're ever at this end of the island, come try the Seahouse Restaurant pupus and Mai Tais.
Naplil Kai Beach Resort. Great place for families or just about anyone. It's a little crowded today, since it's Sunday and the locals and other tourists have discovered Napili Bay as a cool spot with good snorkeling and safe/little surf.

napili.jpg

Hey @tubber everyone in that pic is too pale to be local. Bunch o haole! And I totally wish I was one of them!!!!

Last edited:
Monarch Butterflies are back!!!!!!

On October 16, “over 1,300 monarchs were counted at the Pacific Grove overwintering site; this site did not have a single monarch butterfly during last year’s count,” the Xerces Society wrote. At Natural Bridges State Park in Santa Cruz, Gamel said there are about 3,000 monarchs clustering together in the sanctuary’s tree groves.

Some environmentalists believe butterflies are bouncing back thanks to California’s drought. Warmer and drier weather helps make the long migration an easier journey.

UNQUOTE

Also, I’m going river fishing tomorrow with the puppy!!!!!!!

DC842A05-C794-4FB4-BA59-58B8060F18A2.jpeg

It's the small wins that help dull the pain of life on occasion haha...

First off, the resulted carnage of a floor jack misadventure inside an oil pan:

20211121_134349_resized_1.jpg

Yes that's peeled off powder coat floating around inside the pan.

Spend some money for another NOS pan, new gasket and who knew dental floss could be so handy:

20211121_125711_resized.jpg20211121_134323_resized_1.jpg

That's an inline six so it was a pita to line up the seal down the pan, lacing the floss worked great:

20211121_141010_resized_1.jpg

At the same time, I took the transmission out to deal with a stupid leak at the output shaft. There's a bushing that the yoke rides upon and it can wear out, causing the seal to fail. So much for "full rebuilt" haha...easy off oven cleaner removed all of the fried on transmission fluid from the stainless exhaust. I was shocked the internets delivered on that one as steel wool wasn't cutting it.

Back in the garage after a quick spin for the winter.

20211122_200108_resized.jpg

Yahoo

Last edited:
My grandfather put 10 grand into this place in the 60s to become a shareholder. Those went to my mom, and now my siblings and I own the shares. It basically gives us 30 days a year at 70% off the going rate. We arrived last night for our first visit since becoming shareholders and Covid. Beachfront walkout with lanai and kitchenette for $154/night.
Since I practically own the place, I'll give a plug, so if you're ever at this end of the island, come try the Seahouse Restaurant pupus and Mai Tais.
Naplil Kai Beach Resort. Great place for families or just about anyone. It's a little crowded today, since it's Sunday and the locals and other tourists have discovered Napili Bay as a cool spot with good snorkeling and safe/little surf.

View attachment 72533
Will be there Jan 22 can’t wait!

Great thread, Stizz!
A few years back, I retired after 45 years a carpenter. Borrring! It started after my daughter asked if I could do a little job for her friend. "Sure." I said. Now, I'm busier than a one-armed paper-hanger, have lost 30 pounds, pick and choose what I do and I'm having a lot of fun doing it. Oh, and the money these days is unreal! Almost pays for the fishing and boating expenses. ;)

Back