The 2014 Bamfield Tuna Shootout!

Ripper! We pulled the pin around 30 fish and we weren't the only ones hitting big numbers. Still running in so we will see what the leader board did but I expect changes.

Ps birdsnest we watched seagulls land and stand on them picking off parasites. Even had one breach completely out of the water today beside the boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
We ended are day around 1 with 30 in the box. A few in the high 20s. We will weigh in tomorrow and see what our total is. Great day. image.jpg

Thanks for another great event guys.

Just stopped in Port for a nice greasy J & L burger. I feel like something my dog ate this morning lol. Hope everyone else survived the party.

I'll post up some more pics this evening...

Yet again, totally bagged after a looonnngggg Friday on the water and Partying till the wee hours last night.

I'm going to let the pictures do the talking.....

Left the dock at 4 am on Friday morn.

Firelight at the wheel while I tried to get a nap in lol.

We fished the Louden Canyon and lucked out with Derby being right there and into fish right off the bat. It took us over 5 hours to get out there and only averaged`12 mph most of the way out. We ran slower than that in the dark.

We had a bit of a crew change and popped Jeffywestcoast's cherry BIG TIME!!!

Jeff worked hard and kept us entertained through out the day.

Continued....

The grade of fish was larger than the first weekend for sure. It was a welcome sight.

29lber that I caught on one of the dive boards.

Jeff with one of many.

You never know what your going to catch out on the tuna grounds.

Long day with a better ride home than on the way out. Firelight exhausted from all the fun.

Continued....

Bish and the boyz.

Back at McKay's fuel dock.

We ended up with 20 tuna. Average size was around 14 with a few bigger ones and the one 29 lber.

Brad and Greg putting on a carking clinic.

Putting together one of the donation prizes.

Continued....

I hope everyone's brains aren't fuzzy still lol. Great party. Thanks again to the BC Tough crew and everyone else that helped pull of the awards ceremony and dinner.

Nice spread of food when we got there.

Osama and Kelly starting the announcements.

Things got a little out of hand there for a minute with the winners. RP doing what he does best lol!

First place winners. Biggest fish and largest 4 fish aggregate. Congrats guys.

Second place went to Trophyhunter. Congrats guy's.

Third place went to Whyknots crew. Congrats guys.

Continued...

Whyknots team shirts.

One of the funniest parts of the night was when Jeffy and Derby tried taking off with the winning cheque lol!

Derby making sure I'm still standing (which I managed to do this year).

It was a whirl wind trip for us this last weekend but we did manage to get a little down time in on Saturday. We met lots of new tuna addicts and some old ones. It was really nice talking with everyone. It was really cool to see everyone pitching in and helping each other. Great event and great people. Thanks again Jeff, Kelly, Johnny, and everyone else that helped pull off yet another successful shoot out.

Cheers,
John

Looks like a freaking blast!!! I bet Jeffy is wrapped up in his camo snuggie with a can of lucky right now!

Thanks for the pics!

Haha.. Im a pilsner guy.. Big thanks to Sculpin for giving me one last shot at them tuna, had a great weekend and very full of gratitude for being invited along , don't think i have ever gone to the westcoast and not had fun , here are a couple of my shots,
5d37812bb846b269b1de108261bc1ad7.jpg
da6fb24d4798794af8440bded420215b.jpg
e3f78f365be84e9c1e787962f34c1770.jpg
7ec9e0b96f64920c6035a8fb5552b417.jpg
A tuna addict is born :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sculpin,

Thanks for taking the time to put this post together. It was such an awesome time and thanks to guys like you helping out and donating prizes this event would not be what it is.

The Hardy Buoys team had another epic trip, got 3 full days on the water this year and really tuned in our skills. Great stay at Mill's Landing with Jerry and got to meet a bunch of new tuna addicts. I will post up pictures here in a few days after I get everything put together.

Thanks to the BC Tough crew, Kelly, Jon and Jeff for putting in all the time and effort to make this derby happen, I know it is not easy.

Cheers,

Wade

A group of us are still trying to catch these tuna things further north.

Did any of you guys have the hot lure? What was the "magic"? The hot bait? The fish killer?

Did you notice any late season finicky fish? (or was it the same baits?)

Thank-you for the posts, and awesome pictures, I was there in mind and spirit, ................one of these years.

Wow, what an event, 7 days on the water averaging about 180 miles/day. It will take a while to recover but will definitely do it again next year.
Great to see all my old friends and meet a bunch of new ones.

Thanks to the BCTough Crew for another spectacle! I know how much work an event like this is but your efforts paid off and are appreciated by all.

Will gather the pictures and video from the crew and post a link shortly.

Back