Telegraph Cove

I just got back from 4 days at Telegraph Cove. Fishing was good but lots of Boats. The slide between Donagal and Lizard point was a zoo. I counted 62 boats on Weds AM. I ended up fishing at Bere point all 4 morning and did well. Largest was a 36 lber on Fri am on a cut plug. Most of our action was between 45-55 feet. No Coho yet
We have done well in years past at places that no one fishes anymore including Us!! Fire point, Whitebeach pass,Bold Head and Foster Island all produced well. Everone seems to head to Malcolm Island with the 75 or so other boats in the summer. We are headed up again for the month of August so I am going to try all of the old spots that no one fishes anymore. Cheers

Dont forget flower island got lots of fish in there give you a tip if you see bait doing the happy dance in the bay where the abondoned houses are bring it up to 17 ft or so get in tight to the kelp bed I have got many a big spring in there LOVED that spot very much miss it up there there is 3 reefs in tight there and they do hang in there rub the kelp tou will get them there is 2 reefs coming into the bay heading west and then the big one coming out heading south wont ake you long to find them.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I could have used that tip yesterday when I was there Wolf. Next time.
My trip started with a $38 ferry ride because she didn't see my boat, I told her and she couldn't figure out how to refund and recharge so I got a deal. Off to a good start.
I got a 15(Slide) and 29 (by the clearcut closer to Donegal) on Thursday by 7:30am thinking life was good. Late Thursday evening after a few cocktails I topped of the gas from a jerry can.

Friday morning, first boat out at 4:45. Got 200 yds out and the motor died. Farted around and still wouldn't start, tide took me down past Alert Bay. Came back to Alder Bay on the auxillary(2.5 hours of rowing). Turns out the ferry people last summer made me put water in the jerry can, and I figured at the time there was no way anyone would be so stupid to try to pour that in the boat, but I am. Got my motor dried out, Got the watery gas out of the tank (thanks to John at J+Z Charters)refuelled and out fishing by 12:00. No boats, no fish. One guy got his 2 halibut near the slide and looked a little embarrassed when I told him it was only one now.

Yesterday I started at Malcolm again. The odd fish was taken then it got hot for a brief spell. Both my rods went off, neither stuck. While hurrying to rebait and get back to the spot, an eagle grabbed my anchovy and took off for the trees with the flasher twirling below him. He soon splashed down. I made my way over and tried to get the pliers on his talon, but that beak looked pretty sharp up close. I cut off the trail hook, he did the double wing eagle crawl in to shore to dry off and I saw him flying a while later. By the time I retied, rebaited and got fishing again, that spot was loaded with weeds. I got a couple shakers but no fish there or over at Flower. One boat got 3 but spent the whole morning there.

Charlie, you were right, there are lots of little invisible biting insects that come out at Alder Bay just before dark.

Ive been away in the praries for a week now, but am dying to know if the around McNeill has been steady. Have the coho showed up yet??

Yak

quote:Originally posted by Yak

Ive been away in the praries for a week now, but am dying to know if the around McNeill has been steady. Have the coho showed up yet??

Yak

Hows the pickerel and Pike fishing????:D

It has been pretty well hit or miss here. Talked a couple guys from the south and they were hitting the odd fish, but it was a long time between fish. One other I talked to was into 11 springs on Sunday and has only one since.

The back side has been the usual, the Slide as well. The Wall has been good, along with Flower, but again hit or miss on the tides. It has been ebbing all week on the morning bite, we are just starting to get floods in the morning.

I know that some of the folks in Hardy are doing well, so the fish should be moving down.

Will be out all weekend....if the wind settles down.

Cheers

SS

And the odd Coho is around, but not like last eyar....at least right now it is not.

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Will be in Telegraph Cove Thursday till Tuesday any reports salmon and hals and the weather any wind.

Beacon

IMG_16.jpg

Wind is supposed to be.............light, but I will wait and see.

Crappy tides as it is ebb every morning until early Sun and Monday, but if there is fish around, you should still see a few.

I did not get out this weekend, but I know of one fish caught, and a bunch of folks who washed lures.......

I will be out Thursday till Monday, on 68, Putt Putt 2

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Picked up two springs near Lizard pt. yesterday. Both in the early am. One teener the other 23lbs. Today one coho in the am near the slide. Fished for hali and cod midvday. My daughter lost a nice spring at creighcroft on the afternoon flood. Wind has finally settled down the last two days. Two days prior was windy and the fishing was slow. I wouldn't say fishing is great, but the locals and a few lucky visitors like myself have gotten a few fish. Will be taking my wife and daughter to Victoria tomorrow. Then will hit the water hard the next five days. Beacon, I will look for you at Telegraph Cove when you arrive in a couple of days. Tight Lines

Back