Desolation Sound for 10 days

We spent a very nice couple of nights at Refuge Cove last summer.

The new restaurant is great, spotlessly clean bathrooms, laundry facilities. Used book wall. I am going to take some up and leave them this year.

The grocery tackle shop was pretty low on food supplies day one but the supply boat came in later that day and things were back to normal.

I paid my $25.00 and bought my life membership in the Desolation Sound Yacht Club.

You get a hat.

Later on our trip we were in Maple Bay and this fellow came over and asked me if Americans were allowed to join the club.

I told him yes, then explained it was just a hat. He thought that was great and he was going to buy a bunch of hats, make up some ******** paperwork and give Founding Member Documentation to a few of his US buds for Christmas. When I told him they also had a Burgee , he nearly lost his mind.

Perfect, I have been looking for a new hat as well.

Sounds like I will need to be prepared to swim or float to shore after mooring my boat somewhere if I want to go tenting.

Curme Islands have oysters, tent pads and an outhouse.
Apparently, there is a rope swing around there somewhere? I don’t exactly know where it is. I would love to know, as I plan on taking some friends into desolation, and that might be a fun thing to do for a while.

there has been a rope swing in the south east corner of Laura Cove for many years. I remember our boys playing on it back in the early 90's. Last time we were anchored there, about 5 years ago, people were still having a blast with it.

Apparently, there is a rope swing around there somewhere? I don’t exactly know where it is. I would love to know, as I plan on taking some friends into desolation, and that might be a fun thing to do for a while.
There is also a rope swing in Squirrel Cove. Be careful of the one in Laura, it seems each year someone requires an ER visit after being injured on it.

I was up at Lagoon Cove two years ago with my family and dog for BC day long weekend.
Just landed and headed ashore.
Wife and two eldest kids go blackberry picking.
I am at the rope swing with youngest.
Was looking out at the docks, suddenly I turned around to see my six year old daughter five feet off the ground totally horizontal, with arms outstretched towards the rope swing. She was heading away from the swing and landed with a thud.
Cleaned the pine needles and dirt out of her mouth, middle daughter shows up and I tell her to get Mom and sister to the boat, now.
Head to the boat, clean up youngest who is tough as nails, but in shock.
Says her arm hurts, look at it where a watch band would be and it had a big notch on one side and a lump on the other side of her arm.
Wife then shows up and I show her while giving her the "don't freak out" eyes.
She wants a helo or the coast guard to come. It's Saturday night of the long weekend.
I check the tide tables and current is good to head to CR and the hospital, because that what was really needed.
Thirteen hours later, we arrive at Fisherman's Wharf.
Tough kid.

No more rope swings for this family.

Back