Tandem or single?

Had a crazy day offshore last week.
Lost the first 7 fish that hit, 5 of which were on and taking line.
Hoochies with 5/0 Mustad singles (barbless and sticky sharp).
Managed to get our limit anyway.
Anyone have days like this? Any advice?
Ive been thinking of trying sickle hooks like the Gami 5/0 Big River open eye.
Dont use tandems as I hate shredding the Coho.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I find I only lose fish when I'm trying to horse them in. If the fish gives the slightest indication it's going to run, I let go of the spool so he can fight the drag. Especially important close to the boat I have found. If the fish pulls hard against a locked drag then changes direction or stops, that hook is probably going to pop out.

I find I only lose fish when I'm trying to horse them in. If the fish gives the slightest indication it's going to run, I let go of the spool so he can fight the drag. Especially important close to the boat I have found. If the fish pulls hard against a locked drag then changes direction or stops, that hook is probably going to pop out.

Not horsing them.
I let em go as much as they want.
They are spitting the hooks when they head shake.

Not horsing them.
I let em go as much as they want.
They are spitting the hooks when they head shake.
Try smaller hooks and see if it sticks better. Where I fish, 3.0 and 4.0 work very well for summer chinooks.

When you crimp the barb on a Siwash it creates a hump; helps keep the fish on IMO. I think a barrel swivel on the hook helps keeping them hooked. Head shaking usually results in the fish having a great day IMO - greatest reason to use a knuckle buster is instantaneous drag changes. Siwash makes for an easy release. Back in the day my buddy got 4 fish (not really big) for 4 anglers in 45 minutes, so getting the gear back out quickly matters in a hot bite.

We are not fishing trout.The narrow wire of trebles and single 0 size will rip and tare the hooks from the fish without finness of the fisher.and i agree with the last post about foul hoooking with the trailer hook.

Back