Tandem axle disc brake help

bigdogg1

Well, I lasted about 2 weeks without a boat :). Sold one, thinking I would have the winter to look at options when one came in that checked all the boxes. Has been inspected, etc an all is in great form. The only downside is that the trailer is a tandem axle with only front drum brakes. I have started looking at options and would like to completely change the braking system to a tandem disc set up. The trailer is a 7000 GVRW so I believe this is comparable to the system I want/need. It appears complete.

Any thoughts and suggestions about where to buy in Canada (or online with shipping to Canada) is appreciated!

https://www.etrailer.com/p-T4843200.html

This package uses surge brakes. Surge brakes are not allowed in BC on trailers heavier than 2,800 kg (6,160 lbs). The trailer brakes must be capable of being applied by the driver independently of the towing vehicle's brakes.

I’ve ordered a couple times from this company. Both excellent experiences and super fast shipping. I have taken advantage of free shipping to Point Roberts or friends in Seattle.

I bought the same system from a local marine dealer for a price that was pretty close to an internet US deal after $ conversion and shipping. One thing you will want to check is to make sure the axle without brakes on your trailer has backing plates to take the new brakes. You may be looking at a new axle as well.

This package uses surge brakes. Surge brakes are not allowed in BC on trailers heavier than 2,800 kg (6,160 lbs). The trailer brakes must be capable of being applied by the driver independently of the towing vehicle's brakes.
I think that refers to the combined weight of the boat and trailer. Sounds as though this trailer has two 3500lb axles that might imply a 7000lb capacity for the trailer, it would be interesting to check the sticker on the tongue of the trailer to see what the actual GVW rating is.

My understanding of the law is this., using the trailer in question with two 3500lb axles. Tow the trailer with anything on it for a combined weight of trailer and cargo of anything up to and including 2800kg ((6160lbs) and you can use surge brakes, tow with a combined weight of anything more than 2800kg and you( the driver) need to be able to control the brakes from the cab. This means electric or electric over hydraulic. And yes, you need brakes on both axles.

I think that refers to the combined weight of the boat and trailer. Sounds as though this trailer has two 3500lb axles that might imply a 7000lb capacity for the trailer, it would be interesting to check the sticker on the tongue of the trailer to see what the actual GVW rating is.
The front and rear axles are 3300 pounds respectively (so GVRW is truly 6600 pounds). I read the documentation on this and agree with gungadin's interpretation. Bigbruce, thanks for the reminder about the backing plates fitting as well. You are up island from me-from whom did you buy the system? I would prefer to buy 'local'.

The front and rear axles are 3300 pounds respectively (so GVRW is truly 6600 pounds). I read the documentation on this and agree with gungadin's interpretation. Bigbruce, thanks for the reminder about the backing plates fitting as well. You are up island from me-from whom did you buy the system? I would prefer to buy 'local'.

Got my axle from Courtenay Spring and my brake kits (discs and callipers) from CV Marine. Price on the brake kits was probably a bit more than I would have paid had I ordered on line and had shipped, but as I said, it wasn't enough of a difference to shun the local guys.

Got my axle from Courtenay Spring and my brake kits (discs and callipers) from CV Marine. Price on the brake kits was probably a bit more than I would have paid had I ordered on line and had shipped, but as I said, it wasn't enough of a difference to shun the local guys.
Thanks!

Back