Tales From The Tyee Pool.....2023

Here's the photo of Greg and his beautiful little Tyee.
Thanks to the Tyee Club for posting it and letting me filch it for this thread.

View attachment 96492
Well done Greg.

Take care.
Thanks Dave !! Alone in the boat is a much different game !! It was I who rowed the Giant Cabezon ! Oddly enough I had finally agreed to take out one of your Blonde regular rod holders and the end result was No Tyee and a big Cabezon....... A future question for any prospective Rod Holders in my boat will now be... "Have You Fished With Dave Hadden?" I don't need any more Cabezon. Good thing she is a cute blonde Rod Holder ;-)

Thanks Dave !! Alone in the boat is a much different game !! It was I who rowed the Giant Cabezon ! Oddly enough I had finally agreed to take out one of your Blonde regular rod holders and the end result was No Tyee and a big Cabezon....... A future question for any prospective Rod Holders in my boat will now be... "Have You Fished With Dave Hadden?" I don't need any more Cabezon. Good thing she is a cute blonde Rod Holder ;-)

Thanks. I wasn't sure who had got the Cabezon.

Looks like the crown may be changing heads at the end of the season, as long as Bob Main doesn't hog the good Cabezon water all the time. LOL

Take care.

Nothing to report today so far as no Tyee were taken last night or this morning.

Lots of fish showing last night and I had a proven rodman and a newby from Quebec onboard so thought I might have the right combo.

Alas, Pisces wasn't receptive.

Ah well........

Take care.

Good morning all.

I didn't mention yesterday that it was a very sad day as my pet Parrotlet, BB, crossed the bridge and is now flying free wherever little birds go after they pass.
Broke my heart and I didn't row last night, arguably the nicest evening row of the season conditions-wise, but was on the beach watching and nursing my heartache.

Despite the glorious evening and many fish showing, hook-ups seemed few and far between, but we did see a boat row out shortly after 8:00 PM with a fish on. They ended up way outside the pool and I'm sure I saw a couple of jumps before we heard the thumping that signifies a fish in the boat.
Sometime later the crew arrived at the beach and carried their fish to the scale. At a glance it looked like it would make it and sure enough, it did, weighing 32 pounds and six ounces, thereby creating another new member for the Tyee Club, a Mr. Mike Farrally.

Rowed by Chris Shields they fooled the Tyee into striking their plug.
It won't do that again.

Here they are with their nice little Tyee.
TyeeShields23.jpg

Well done men.

Take care.

As has been painfully obvious, the past couple of days have seen no Tyee action at all, despite idyllic rowing conditions for the most part as well as numerous fish showing nearly everywhere in the pool.
Last evening saw very few fish showing, at least as viewed from the beach, and nothing of note was caught.

I had a tough day Wed and my local rodman for that evening was really understanding about my lack of desire to row that evening, so I didn't.
Thursday, I had promised to take out one of my annual long-suffering rod holders and his father from down island, so out we went and covered much water while being totally frustrated by the numerous fish cavorting all around us. Other rowers shared the same feeling I'm sure.

Friday found me feeling the loss of my little pal even more deeply, so when my rod holder for that evening called from Victoria to say he couldn't make it I wasn't terribly inspired to phone up any local prospects to replace him. Instead, I joined the small crew at the clubhouse and enjoyed the spectacle, although it was a subdued crew who hung in there past dark before slowly leaving and motoring home.
Same scenario for yesterday as I just couldn't get excited about rowing around in what suddenly appears to be almost empty waters.
Tonight, I'm taking out an old acquaintance and his son from down island and I'm feeling better after cleaning out my abode and rearranging things now that I don't have a bird anymore. They are great little pets but can be messy and influence a much larger area than one might imagine.

Anyway, here he is, looking cute while sitting on my shoulder and hoping I'll give him a treat.
BBCookieJar.JPG

Just realized we look like we are imitating my pirate cookie jar, seen behind us. Ha ha, total fluke and not planned at all, seriously.

Anyway, R.I.P. little BB. You were a character for sure and I'll smile whenever I think of you, and my heart will hurt just a little bit too.

Take care.

An old lyric seems apropos here, "Sunday morning, coming down."

After what looked like a really good year building, based on good August results, we ended up with just a decent year, thanks to very poor September results.
I don't know why the pool went dead after a Tyee on the first, another on the second and one more on the sixth, but nothing was registered during the last nine days of the season.
Factor in a sad loss in my life and add the fact that I'm not one for rowing over what is obviously unproductive water leads to the indisputable fact that I owe several people an apology for not rowing them on evenings we had scheduled to go out.
I have a list and will ensure that each of them will get out with me next year, which may not be as exciting a prospect as one may think, given my abject failure to produce anything this year, but I need to atone and I will.

Carrying on, I was pleased to see that my prediction at the beginning of this season was fairly accurate with a few examples that really helped my case.
On July the 4th. this year, I wrote this:

"Praying for good returns with some size.
There has been decent pasture in the North Pacific the past few years but there is a large El Nino starting up now and that usually means poor pasture looking forward.
Hoping some fatter fish show and that Hydro doesn't spill water at night again.
That screwed us last year methinks."

Note the term "fatter fish" and think about most of the Tyee registered this year.
This fish, despite the Weighmaster trying to downsize it, (note weight on board) actually weighed 36 1/2 pounds and when Gerald put it on the cleaning table I checked its length, as it looked short to me, and discovered it was but 39 inches long.
Normally, a 39 or 40 inch Chinook is either close to being a Tyee or is just heavy enough to be declared a Tyee, and rarely do they weigh 36 pounds. A short but healthy and well-fed fish. Ocean conditions have been good the past three years, more or less, and that showed true this year.
TyeeGerald23.jpg

Note also this photo, where it looks like Tim, the rodman, is related to the Tyee he boated, given they have the same body shape. Ha ha ha. Sick sense of humor here.
TyeeGrant23.jpg

For some reason that has escaped me, after one good hook-up with what may have been a Tyee and one strike that instantly broke off, I wasn't able to induce any semblance of a strike thereafter.
I tried all my old tricks, used old wooden plugs, rowed newbies, rowed tried and true rodmen, changed my name, and even sank so low I actually asked another rower how many "pulls" he was using, something no self-respecting rower would ever do.
His answer was of no help to me as he uses mostly spoons and I use mostly plugs and the two are not the same.
I even took advice from strangers on the Internet.

Anyway, despite my failures, others had good success with Mike Stutzel showing us how it's done by rowing four Tyee this year.
Darla (Twinkletoes) Hunt boated two Tyee this year, one of which led to this impromptu joyful jig, a moment of which I managed to capture.
TyeeDarlaJig.JPG

And a couple of other notable things happened, insofar as Paul Curtis rowed himself a nice Tyee, a first for him I think. As well, Randy Killoran showed he hasn't lost anything despite not being as heavily involved as he was in years past, rowing himself to a nice little Tyee, something I don't think he had done before. He's rowed many Tyee for others over his career, and really knows his stuff.

The largest Tyee this year was rowed by Steve Spiers and boated by Rick Tillapaugh, thereby making Rick both a new member of the Tyee Club, but also Tyee Man for this season. A big old WELL DONE and a tip of my hat to them for this feat.

TyeeSpiers23.jpg

Finally, this past Friday brought an end to the 99th. season here in the Tyee Pool and a bit of a crowd gathered at the clubhouse as the last diehard rowers slowly motored home. In truth I was disappointed somewhat by the lack of decorated boats this year, given the significance of it and all, but my crew and I tried to brighten things up with colorful costumes and such.
DSCN7962.JPG

Normally I decorate my boat on the last day of the season with a blonde and a brunette, but this year they were both captured by the Barbie movie phenomenon so decided to dress as Barbies. Their initial attempt to have me assume the role of Ken failed when I pointed out that Ken is a young and handsome fellow, and I am pretty sure I'm not nor would donning a blonde wig change that.
I opted to dress up as a Nerd with Money, given I had not one, but two Barbies in my boat.
While it doesn't show in the photo as my sunglasses hide it, I even detailed my costume with a Band-Aid in use as a simulated repair of the bridge of my glasses.
Anyway, it seemed we were the only ones in costume at the clubhouse, which I was saddened somewhat to see.
SharonBarbieMe.jpg
SharonBarbiesTyeeClub.jpg

For those who may have encountered a floating pink feather or two, now you know where they came from.

And so ends this year's version of Tales From The Tyee Pool.
I've tried to include things that appeal to anglers, so we have a lost fish story, dancing girls, fat healthy fish being caught, tales of woe, costumed ladies and the second most painful happening of the season, crushed testicles when launching my rowboat.
I'm almost afraid to go take it out of the water now.

Take care.

@Dave H And the champion cabezon was caught by?

Darn near forgot that.

The new King of The Cabezons is the son of Greg Askey, and darned if I can remember his name.

Anyway, in what can only be classified as a downright brilliant move, Greg took out his son and my blonde rod-holder at the same time, knowing full well that if he had a real Cabezon catcher onboard, Sharon the blonde, his son would probably catch a Cabezon and get that trophy into the Askey family.
It worked, too, given that the other heavy competitor for that esteemed trophy, one Bob Main, failed miserably in his efforts to catch a Cabezon.
I think he's still a bit fearful of them considering the wounds he displayed after last catching one.

Got a few other things to report on coming up still, but busy for now.

Take care.

Had a few passing thoughts I'll share here, if nobody minds.

A few nights ago, I was on the beach watching the fleet to and froing, and waiting for the Columbia, an Alaskan ferry, to get close to Copper Bluffs so I could photograph it with something for reference when I heard a voice say: "They must really love that dog."

I looked at the boat they were talking about, and this is what I saw.
DSCN7956.JPG
It looked like neither of the humans had a PFD on, but the dog was wrapped with a large life preserver. Hmmmmm....

A couple of things stick in my mind, like Paul Curtis having a double-header strike one evening but losing them both, then redeeming himself by rowing a Tyee solo the next day, no small feat, although accomplished a few times this season.

Another evening saw local businessman/raconteur Roy Grant hook up and row out of the pool, lose that fish, row back into the pool and hook up again and all within 15 minutes or so. Lost both those fish but redeemed himself the next morning when he rowed Tim Samuels to a nice Tyee.
And then he went cold again.
It's a capricious endeavor I tell ya.

I was able to have a couple people back in my boat after an absence of a couple of years, and I really enjoyed that.
I hooked up with an old acquaintance from 15 years ago but didn't manage to get him out this year but will ensure I do next year.

Finally, it appears that rowing for Tyee and/or holding a rod while someone else rows keeps a person young, or at least young-looking.
I offer the following as evidence.
This photo was taken in 2014, the first year I rowed Sharon and Diane, I think.
SharonDiane2014.jpg
And here we were in 2022, eight years later.
SharonDiane2022.jpg

And earlier this year.
SharonDiane231.jpg
Pretty good evidence right there. I mean, look how young I still look.

Also, for those of you still harboring the idea you'd like to come along sometime for a guided tour of the Tyee Pool with me as Captain, you should always remember this.
RunATightShipwreck.jpg

That's all for now.
See you next year, hopefully with all of us in good health and a decent return of Tyee to chase.

Take care.

Last edited:

A few nights ago, I was on the beach watching the fleet to and froing, and waiting for the Columbia, an Alaskan ferry, to get close to Copper Bluffs so I could photograph it with something for reference when I heard a voice say: "They must really love that dog."

View attachment 98005
It looked like neither of the humans had a PFD on, but the dog was wrapped with a large life preserver. Hmmmmm....

A couple of things stick in my mind, like Paul Curtis having a double-header strike one evening but losing them both, then redeeming himself by rowing a Tyee solo the next day, no small feat, although accomplished a few times this season.

Another evening saw local businessman/raconteur Roy Grant hook up and row out of the pool, lose that fish, row back into the pool and hook up again and all within 15 minutes or so. Lost both those fish but redeemed himself the next morning when he rowed Tim Samuels to a nice Tyee.

I was able to have a couple people back in my boat after an absence of a couple of years, and I really enjoyed that.
I hooked up with an old acquaintance from 15 years ago but didn't manage to get him out this year but will ensure I do next year.

Finally, it appears that rowing for Tyee and/or holding a rod while someone else rows keeps a person young, or at least young-looking.
View attachment 98006
View attachment 98007

And earlier this year.
View attachment 98008

Also, for those of you still harboring the idea you'd like to come along sometime for a guided tour of the Tyee Pool with me as Captain, you should always remember this.
View attachment 98010

That's all for now.
See you next year, hopefully with all of us in good health and a decent return of Tyee to chase.

Take care.
Thanks for another year of entertainment Dave. Your reports are always entertaining.

Thank you sir for another enthralling year of great rod and reel fishing. I do hope to make the trek to the pool and hope someone is available to row me into my first tyee!!! But if I can only commandeer you and your boat,I guess it will have do....lmao!! Hopefully our paths cross soon please continue to entertain us all. Cheers, Bruce

Enjoyed this year very much!

Now the down hill slide of a wait until next year! Will be a long time waiting for the next installment!

Hopefully Dave you will have a few tidbits to keep us entertained until next year....

Thank you for the fine entertainment Dave, take care!

Mike

Thanks very much for another great reporting season from the pool. My condolences for the loss of your fine feathered friend. That’s a tough way to end a season.

Thanks Dave, stories like yours are what got me interested in the art of Oncorhychus capture !
And helped me find a passion and life style that will spend the majority of my time and money 💰
Damn it
Gee thanks buddy 🤣
Till next year
Ps I’m still gonna read the hell out of the stories and live vicariously through them
when the winter winds blow and plan my attack for next season

Thanks for another year of entertainment Dave. Your reports are always entertaining.

View attachment 98005

View attachment 98006
View attachment 98007

And earlier this year.
View attachment 98008

View attachment 98010

That's all for now.

Take care.
Just wanted to say how much I love reading your posts & sharing some of your fun via photos posted. You're the best and I look forward to next year when you will again keep us all entertained with your wit and pics. Take care & know you're appreciated.

View attachment 98005

View attachment 98006
View attachment 98007

And earlier this year.
View attachment 98008

View attachment 98010

That's all for now.

Take care.

Back