Tales From The Tyee Pool.....2023

And we have another Tyee on the board, number 23 and the first sort of daytime fish this season too, being hooked at 10:45 AM today.

Rowed by Peter Wipper, Tim Hanika brought a nice 30 plus pounder boatside where it was netted before being brought in to the scale.
The fish took a spoon, making it only the second on a spoon so far, I think.
Anyway, here they are with their fat little Tyee.
TyeeWipper232.jpg

Good going guys.

Take care.

Good morning all.

Tyee #24 has arrived, and it was a Duke family affair as dad Ken rowed son Lyndon to a 30 pound and eight-ounce fish, which made Lyndon a new member of the Tyee Club of BC. The fish took a plug.

Well done gentlemen.
TyeeDukes232.jpg

Just thought I'd add that my drought is still intact and I'm seriously thinking about trying a couple of different plugs, or perhaps firing my crew of rod-holders, all of whom have failed me miserably so far.

Decisions, decisions.

Take care.

Good morning all.

Tyee #24 has arrived, and it was a Duke family affair as dad Ken rowed son Lyndon to a 30 pound and eight-ounce fish, which made Lyndon a new member of the Tyee Club of BC. The fish took a plug.

Well done gentlemen.
View attachment 97149

Just thought I'd add that my drought is still intact and I'm seriously thinking about trying a couple of different plugs, or perhaps firing my crew of rod-holders, all of whom have failed me miserably so far.

Decisions, decisions.

Take care.
Surely you have a deep nose wooden Lucky Louie plug... My old friend Mike Rippingale swore by them way back when he was head guide at Painters.

Surely you have a deep nose wooden Lucky Louie plug... My old friend Mike Rippingale swore by them way back when he was head guide at Painters.

I do, and I'm going to swim it tonight.

Thanks.

Take care.

How many hours have you rowed this year?

How many hours have you rowed this year?

Not very many.

Perhaps 30 actually fishing in the pool.
Missed several nights when it was windy.

The guys who catch the most fish are nearly always out there many more times than I and row many more hours.
I do it for fun and if it doesn't look like fun then I'll sit out.

It's just that even though I've not rowed a Tyee for 10 years I usually have several fish encounters by this time of the season but only two this year.
My actual CPUE on non-Tyees is pretty good some years.
Throw in the odd Cabezon and Kelp Greenling and I'm on fire. LOL

I think someone edged me out for the King Of The Cabezon crown last night but I'm unsure just who as yet.

Ah well, going back old school tonight.

Take care.

Tyee #25 was registered last night and hooked just as we arrived in the pool to start fishing ourselves.

Boated by another new member, one Glen Daradics, the fish took a spoon and then tipped the scale at 37 pounds and three ounces.
The rower was Rick Janzen, a regular and productive member of the rowing fraternity.
GOOD GOING men.
TyeeJanzen23.jpg

I had a rookie rod-holder out last night and he did really well although we caught nothing but weeds.
That's one of the problems of fishing just after high tide on the ebb, it's weedy.
This nice 37 pounder bit fairly early in the evening and we saw a couple other hook-ups but nothing for us.

Tried my old wooden Lucky Louie as well as my good Rex Field shovel-nose, and both were excellent at collecting seaweed.
Anybody want some?

Anyway, we'll try again tonight, 'cause Pisces hates a quitter.

Take care.

Now and then the subject of Tyee rowboats motoring to the pool where some people think motoring is not allowed comes up.
Recent daytime low tides gave me the opportunity to take a few photographs which hopefully will illustrate why we do, why we can and actually when we cannot.

The dimensions of the Tyee Pool are basically this:

From the lowest mark at the lowest tide of the year out to 400 meters.
That essentially means that any water above that mark is technically not the Tyee Pool, ergo it can be motored in.
Here's a photo, taken looking northward from in front of Jiggers to illustrate.
DSCN7927.JPG

All the dark area shown is not the Tyee Pool so when the tide is in, or water covers that area, we motor along close to the beach and aren't actually motoring in the pool.

This was taken from the clubhouse grounds and looks northward towards the river mouth. Note waders out casting and how far out it's dry opposite the marker tree, aka Van Egan's tree. That's why we tend to turn out after passing the clubhouse and nearing that tree.
RSCN7931.JPG

Technically, on a day where there is a really low tide, sometimes called a "minus" tide, we cannot motor along close to the beach as we would actually be in the pool.
This rarely happens but can, and on those rare occasions when it's like that then we should actually motor out from the river mouth to the 400-meter mark and then start rowing and row into position to start fishing.

So there you go, the reason we motor along close to the beach while heading out.

Next question is: Why can't I hook a fish this year? LOL

Take care.

Good morning all and we have another Tyee on the board.
At 6:00 AM this morning that young Paul Curtis boated a 33 1/2 pounder, all by himself, thus registering the 26th. Tyee, 27th. if we count the catch and release one from a few days back.

Pics to follow.

Yesterday, I thought I'd stumbled onto the perfect solution to my lack of success this year and it involved the letter Z.
Noting that Mike Stutzel had rowed four Tyee this year plus Rick Jantzen had one the other day I figured maybe if I had a rod-holder with a Z in his name then Pisces would approve and give me a Tyee of my own.

My rod-holder last night was Bud Bablitz, which I was sure would ensure some success in the pool.
Alas, after a night of steady rowing, fancy turns, getting sucked over the bar and having to motor back, and a few other events, it turned out my plan was both useless and fruitless.

Pondering the situation finally made me realize that it has to be the rower who has a Z in their name, not the rod-holder.
This morning I finally came to the realization that the only practical solution to my dilemma is to change my name.

From now on, think of me as Dave the Hazard Hadden.
This should ensure some success going forward, and I'm stoked to have come up with this plan.

Later.

Take care.

Good morning all and we have another Tyee on the board.
At 6:00 AM this morning that young Paul Curtis boated a 33 1/2 pounder, all by himself, thus registering the 26th. Tyee, 27th. if we count the catch and release one from a few days back.

Pics to follow.

Yesterday, I thought I'd stumbled onto the perfect solution to my lack of success this year and it involved the letter Z.
Noting that Mike Stutzel had rowed four Tyee this year plus Rick Jantzen had one the other day I figured maybe if I had a rod-holder with a Z in his name then Pisces would approve and give me a Tyee of my own.

My rod-holder last night was Bud Bablitz, which I was sure would ensure some success in the pool.
Alas, after a night of steady rowing, fancy turns, getting sucked over the bar and having to motor back, and a few other events, it turned out my plan was both useless and fruitless.

Pondering the situation finally made me realize that it has to be the rower who has a Z in their name, not the rod-holder.
This morning I finally came to the realization that the only practical solution to my dilemma is to change my name.

From now on, think of me as Dave the Hazard Hadden.
This should ensure some success going forward, and I'm stoked to have come up with this plan.

Later.

Take care.
Stizzla has more than enough z’s. Maybe a double header of tyees would happen on one lure.

This summarizes the data given at the link provided by Dave H. At the median weight, 50% of the fish are heavier and 50% lighter. 2023 ends on September 2nd.

Year
Catch
Median Wt.
Average Wt.
Maximum Wt.
2002​
93​
33.0​
34.7​
49.0​
2003​
15​
35.0​
34.9​
41.0​
2004​
60​
32.3​
33.4​
44.5​
2005​
45​
31.5​
32.8​
47.0​
2006​
64​
32.8​
34.1​
45.0​
2007​
21​
33.0​
34.0​
42.0​
2008​
29​
33.0​
33.5​
41.5​
2009​
57​
32.5​
33.5​
47.5​
2010​
55​
33.5​
35.2​
54.0​
2011​
23​
32.0​
32.8​
40.0​
2012​
31​
34.5​
34.3​
43.0​
2013​
47​
33.0​
35.1​
61.5​
2014​
9​
33.5​
34.2​
40.5​
2015​
15​
32.0​
33.3​
41.5​
2016​
13​
32.5​
32.7​
36.5​
2017​
44​
33.0​
33.3​
40.5​
2018​
18​
31.5​
32.1​
36.5​
2019​
13​
31.5​
31.7​
36.0​
2020​
14​
32.6​
33.3​
39.1​
2021​
36​
31.8​
31.8​
33.0​
2022​
6​
33.2​
33.8​
40.9​
2023​
25​
31.8​
32.7​
43.9​

Labour Day Monday morning at 10:00 AM and no new Tyee to report.

I blame Paul Curtis.

Despite a good number of boats out the past couple of days there have been only unders reported.

Had Paul not caught the one he did there would at least be one Tyee in the pool WE could pursue.

It's all his fault.

Hopefully this evening will prove that there are a few left, because I'm bringing in my hot rodman and a newby, thereby covering both possibilities.
The only Tyee I have rowed were caught by first-timers, given none had ever been in a Tyee rowboat before.
That's my newby possibility, and my best CPUE rodman Merv is my experienced guy with a couple of fish boated and one not far from being a Tyee.

I think I've covered all the bases now.

Take care.

Hazardous Dave Hadden

What's that old saying?

The best laid plans etc. etc. etc.

Last night saw me minus the newby I thought I was going to row, but I had Merv out so was ever so confident we'd hook up.

Alas.............

Lots of fish showing but few strikes and no new Tyee last night or this morning, so far.

The day isn't over.

Take care.

.TastyLegOfSalmon.jpg

Back