Tales From The Tyee Pool.....2023

Circumstances led to me not rowing earlier but I managed to pop down to the clubhouse just in time to catch a boat heading in with what all presumed must be a big fish as they had been out fighting it for quite some time.
Our presumptions were accurate and to nobody's surprise it was Mike Stutzel and the ever-vivacious Darla Hunt who exited Mike's boat and then hauled a large bright salmon across the beach to Bob, who was standing by and weighing the odds as to rather this might be another Tyee.
RSCN7919.JPG
"It's close," exclaimed Mike as he neared the scale, where he set the fish down.
Darla was very animated and watched closely as Bob deftly noosed the fish around its wrist then asked for Darla's help in lifting the fish up so he could slip the noose onto the hook on the scale.
The fish was gently lowered, and the onlookers crowded in a bit to watch the needle as it swung around and around and stopped well past the 30-pound mark.
It was a Tyee and weighed 34 pounds and 10 ounces.
Here it is with the happy duo.
RSCN7915.JPG

Darla was as happy as could be but before I took this photo or anyone else took a photo, she exclaimed aloud that she had to go primp a bit and quickly headed for the washroom.
Bob, the Weighmaster, went through the customary routine of testing the line, making sure the fish was recorded properly on Darla's fishing license, and getting out the tag for the head recovery program and all that and when Darla re-appeared she had adopted the backwards baseball cap look, as seen above.
I didn't note any marked improvement resulting from that, but I'm not an expert on women's fashions, or anything else it sometimes appears. LOL

Once one has successfully registered their fish, they can then ring the bell, which Darla seemed eager to do.
I was amused when Mike cautioned her to do it more slowly than she did last year, as she had hurried it then and it lost some of its impact.
Darla listened and made three good peals ring out, alerting everyone within earshot that a Tyee had been subdued.
RSCN7918.JPG

And then she broke out into a crazy, happy joyful jig, which I wish I had on video.
Instead, I have this action shot.
RSCN7917.JPG
Now, here's the very interesting part of this story, which I just verified myself.
On August 12 of last year, Mike rowed Darla into the Tyee Club with her first ever Tyee which weighed 34 pounds and 10 ounces, exactly the same weight as their Tyee tonight. Mike even double-checked the scale tonight as he remembered the weight of their fish from last year.

Now THAT is what one might call the old Deja vu and/or one heckuva coincidence.

Personally, I think it shows no improvement at all in over a year, but I'm funny that way. 😇😇

Anyway, a big WELL DONE is in order for sure.

And that Mike Stutzel fellow is one heckuva rower, given his results the past few years.
A tip-o-the-hat from me.

That's all folks.

Take care.

Here's your Friday morning report, hot off the press.

We have two more Tyee on the board, both taken this morning at some ungodly hour when normal people are still sleeping soundly, as was I.

At 5:50 AM that Mr. Peter Wipper took matters into his own hands and rowed himself a nice 33 pounder, thereby registering Tyee #17.

Good going Peter.

Not to be outdone, that Mike Stutzel guy showed up at the clubhouse with a 31 pounder mere minutes later.
The rodman in this case was a Mr. Walter Stutzel, who may be a relative, but at this moment I'm not sure of what the relationship actually is.
I'll find out.
Both fish were taken on plugs, so we are still at only one Tyee taken on a spoon, and it's still the biggest one.
That makes four Tyee rowed by Mike now, a fabulous feat in this day and age.
I want to be just like him when I grow up. LOL

I had my crew hang out by the scale last night, mostly because it's the only way they could get near the scale, given my inability to get either of them a Tyee as yet. Bob hustled out and wanted to weigh them, but they politely demurred and turned him down.
Here they are, just before being accosted.
SharonDiane23.jpg

And here's the happy crew, unbothered by any strikes at all.

SharonDiane231.jpg

Always enjoy rowing this pair and they have actually both hooked up from my boat, but both fish came undone and weren't boated.

Next time......

Pics of the latest Tyee when I get them.

Take care.

Pics of the latest Tyee.

I got them.
Here's Peter with his nice 33 pounder, rowed, played and netted solo.
TyeeWipper23.jpg
A big WELL DONE!!

And here's that Stutzel guy with the Tyee caught by his dad, as it turns out.
TyeeStutzelDad.jpg
Seems like all the Tyee caught this year have been really nice-looking fish, at least as seen through envious eyes.

Tonight, for sure.

Take care.

A quick update this Saturday morning and lo and behold, we have another Tyee on the board.
This one weighed a bit over 31 pounds and was rowed by Mr. Trevor Gains, with that young lady Darla Hunt on the rod.
This is the second Tyee for Darla this season so a big WELL DONE is in order here.
Pics and more update later.
In the meantime, here's Hank, guardian of the dock at Coril Air and ever alert.
.SharonHank.jpg

Take care.

And here's the photo, filched from Facebook, of the happy crew from this morning.

Good going to both Trevor and Darla.

TyeeDarla23.jpg

Take care.

Here's my late Sunday report with apologies for tardiness.

Last evening as we were heading in, we thought we saw someone rowing out with a fish on.
Turned out to be a good one at 30 pounds 10 ounces, making it the 20th. Tyee of the season.
The fish also created a new member for the Tyee Club of BC, one Allyn Harvey, rowed by Mr. Mark Thulin, no stranger to the scale at the clubhouse.
Well done gentlemen.

Turns out also that the morning bite today produced another Tyee as local bon vivant and well-known man about town Roy Grant rowed Tim Samuels into a near 32 pounder, at 31 lbs. and 14 oz.
Roy hooked up close to our boat last night but eventually lost that fish.
He made up for that this morning.
Both Tyee were taken on plugs, so still only one Tyee on a spoon, and that one is still the biggest.

Good going men.
Pics to follow.

Take care.

Pics, as promised.

Last night's Tyee at dark with new member Allyn Harvey and rower Mark Thulin.

TyeeThulin23.jpg

And here's Roy Grant with rodman Tim and their Tyee from this morning.
TyeeGrant23.jpg

Well done all.

Take care.

Seems like a really solid year so far, how is it stacking up to the last 5-10 years?

Check it out.

Lots better than last year for sure.

Take care.

Despite a good number of boats out plus a concentrated "bite" last night, no Tyee were registered.
None this morning either.

I was beached last night, so naturally there were boats hooking up steadily and we saw seven or eight row out with fish on.
With the exception of one 25 pounder that was brought in and weighed, the ones that didn't get away were released, as far as we could tell.
I know a couple unders were kept because I saw them at the dock, but with only one fish being allowed anything clearly undersize was being released.

Roy Grant was still hot as he'd hooked up the evening before but lost it, registered a Tyee the following morning and hooked up twice in what seemed like 15 minutes or so last night. I think they lost one and released one.
Watching from the beach you could tell there weren't any Tyee being boated as the battles were all pretty short, with several fish boatside in but a few minutes.

Just today I learned of the first sanctioned catch and release Tyee of the season and it was handled by the crew of Nathon Miller on the rod and Yari Ivanisko on the oars. For their efforts they receive a catch and release pin plus recognition on a separate board at the clubhouse.

Here's their fish moments before release and the pin they received.
This happened the morning of the 27th. but the photo wasn't available until today.
TyeeReleased23.jpg

A big WELL DONE seems in order here.

Take care.

Last edited:
Despite a good number of boats out plus a concentrated "bite" last night, no Tyee were registered.
None this morning either.

I was beached last night, so naturally there were boats hooking up steadily and we saw seven or eight row out with fish on.
With the exception of one 25 pounder that was brought in and weighed, the ones that didn't get away were released, as far as we could tell.
I know a couple unders were kept because I saw them at the dock, but with only one fish being allowed anything clearly undersize was being released.

Roy Grant was still hot as he'd hooked up the evening before but lost it, registered a Tyee the following morning and hooked up twice in what seemed like 15 minutes or so last night. I think they lost one and released one.
Watching from the beach you could tell there weren't any Tyee being boated as the battles were all pretty short, with several fish boatside in but a few minutes.

Just today I learned of the first sanctioned catch and release Tyee of the season and it was handled by the crew of Naton Miller on the rod and Yari Ivanisko on the oars. For their efforts they receive a catch and release pin plus recognition on a separate board at the clubhouse.

Here's their fish moments before release and the pin they received.
This happened the morning of the 27th. but the photo wasn't available until today.
View attachment 97055

A big WELL DONE seems in order here.

Take care.
Hats off to those two dudes!!!

Here's a brief report and a photo I snuck right under Bob's nose as he was taking a photo for the official report on the Tyee Club website and Facebook.
Details and names tomorrow.

RSCN7934.JPG

That is a fat fish as it was but 39 inches long yet weighed 36 1/2 pounds.

Finally had a solid strike this evening after a long drought.
Unfortunately, the idiot who tied the plug on tonight, me, didn't cinch it up quite enough and the line broke right at the knot. We actually got both the plug and the hook harness back.
So annoyed at myself right now.

Take care.

Update on the Tyee catchers from last evening.

The new member of the Tyee Club is Mr. John Plant, from Victoria, I think.

The rower was Gerald Hinesberger, long time rower and I knew his first name but not his last, until now.

Gerald told me John had been coming up most every year for some time hoping to get into the club.

Well done to both.

Take care.

Also, I've re-visited the reason we broke off so quickly last night plus got the hook harness back, and it wasn't my knot after all, as the line looked like it was cut but close to the knot. The knot was still tied on the plug.

What I suspect happened was the fish struck the plug but didn't get hooked, and as I saw two distinct hits, I think the second movement was caused by the line being in the fishes mouth and its teeth probably cut it.

Had the fish been hooked we wouldn't have got the harness back, as it would have pulled free from the plug.
Ah well, a lost fish regardless.

Take care.

Also, I've re-visited the reason we broke off so quickly last night plus got the hook harness back, and it wasn't my knot after all, as the line looked like it was cut but close to the knot. The knot was still tied on the plug.

What I suspect happened was the fish struck the plug but didn't get hooked, and as I saw two distinct hits, I think the second movement was caused by the line being in the fishes mouth and its teeth probably cut it.

Had the fish been hooked we wouldn't have got the harness back, as it would have pulled free from the plug.
Ah well, a lost fish regardless.

Take care.
Well at least you no longer need to be upset with yourself (at least not for that reason). :)

Back