Tales From The Tyee Pool.....2023

Early Saturday afternoon and with most of my chores done it's time for an update.
Since last we spoke there have been some new Tyee registered, and we'll start with last night.

Just at dark Mr. Mike Hamilton rowed one Dawn Hamilton into the Tyee Club as she boated a nice 31 pounder.
I was told they have been trying for some years now to get one for her so good going and patience does pay off, sometimes.
Pics to follow.
TyeeHamilton23.jpg

Last night was one of those weird ones where we were heading out one minute then not heading out the next then actually did go out, at the latest time ever, I think.
We got in 45 minutes of actual fishing but came out fishless.

Karl spent the night on my couch then rowed himself this morning. He noted several fish being hooked and it turned out that two of them were Tyees.

The first one was solo rowed by Randy Killoran and weighed a nice 33 pounds.
Randy hasn't had a lot of water time the past couple of years due to work commitments out of town, but showed he's lost nothing in terms of getting Tyee to strike.
I found this interesting, but a mutual pal told me this was the first one he has ever rowed himself to, as he always had rod-holders wanting to fish with him, he being as good a rower as exists in these times.
Well done RK.
TyeeRandy23.jpg

Hot on the heels of RK this morning came that Mike Stutzel fellow with another new member for the Tyee Club in tow.
Welcome Clayton Stoner with his 30 pound plus fish, a Tyee for sure.
Again, pics to follow.
TyeeStoner23.jpg

Note, all the Tyee registered so far have been taken on plugs, while usually the early bigger fish are taken on spoons.
Make of that what you will.

Aside from that, hanging around the Tyee Clubhouse yard is always interesting, particularly when a boat rows out and the fight is watched by all, the net is deployed and the boat heads to the beach in front of us.
It's always fun speculating about the size of the fish when it's first seen, and this is what that looks like.
RSCN7889.JPG

Much chatter erupted when this fish came through the gate with a split in the group as whether it would make 30 or not.

It didn't, showing but 28 1/2 pounds on the scale, causing a moan of disappointment in the crowd.

We also had a good view over the estuary of the smoke plumes from what I'm told are more than one fire off to our west.
Lots of photos of it online, and here's mine.
RSCN7890.JPG

This is not what I want to see when looking that way, but I'm told they pose no danger to buildings or anything else, so will probably be left alone for now.

Pray for the winds to calm down, both for the sake of fire-fighters everywhere and also for the sake of ageing rowers.

Take care.

Last edited:
Do you have an idea of how much the average weight of these fish has decreased over the years?

Yes, and it's a long story so won't start right now other than to add this, off the top of my head.

The year I was born, 1945, saw 284 Tyee registered with an average weight somewhere just over 40 lbs.

We had only six Tyee last year with one just over 40 lbs. and none over so far this year.

The last year with five year old fish (big ones) was 2013.

Later.

Take care.

A bit tardy today as I had to take an old friend to emergency this morning and it took four hours to get her looked at, x-rayed, analyzed and finally sent home. She's ok but in a lot of pain from a bad muscle sprain she incurred lifting a heavy box during a recent move.

Saturday evening was a good row with longtime rodman Rob, the fellow who was hooked to Leaping Lena some years back. That's the crazy Chinook that finally came off on the fifth jump. Craziest fish even hooked from my boat for sure.
We had a good row and then, as it darkened just after nine PM, I rowed us outside the pool a bit and we said goodbye to Rob's dad by spreading some of his ashes off the stern of the boat.
It gave some more closure to Rob and was fitting as I managed to have his dad catch a fish in the pool a couple of years ago, when he first started his brave fight against cancer. He claimed it was the first salmon he'd caught in 25 years or so. Wasn't a Tyee but it felt good to get him a nice salmon. He was a good guy and I liked him a lot. R.I.P. Glen.

Last night I had long-suffering rodman Owen out and we tried both my good plugs, but it was one of those nights where things fished easily one direction, but you had to row your butt off to get back in the pack going the other way, so I didn't feel that we fished that effectively overall.
We did see a boat or two pull out with a fish on but didn't hear the bell or see anyone bring a fish in, given we left just before all that happened.

And when I say, "all that happened", I mean we now have Tyee #12.
Ably rowed by Mike Dougan, the married lady he lives with called Maegan deftly hooked, fought and then boated a near 32 pounder.
It weighed 31 pounds and 14 ounces and is another one for the Dougan family.
TyeeDougan23.jpg

Well done you two. You're becoming quite the team.

Take care.

I'm home a bit under the weather, but just saw on the camera that a 43 1/2 pounder was weighed in.

Details when I get them.

Nicest night of the season and me at home ill.
Works every time.

sigh...

Take care.

Here I am again with details but no photos as yet.

So, last night Mr. Steve Spiers rowed a new member into the Tyee Club with a nice 43 1/2-pound Tyee.
The new member is Rich Tillapaugh and he took the fish on a spoon.
This is the first Tyee on a spoon this year and the biggest to date.

Also, last night, Mr. Richard Holman made himself a new member of the Tyee Club by registering a nice 33 pounder.
Richard was also a rookie rower, so a double good going is in order here, along with a big WELL DONE.

This morning brought Tyee #15 as Floyd Ross rowed another new member into the club, one Dan Syroid, if I read it right.
Their fish was just over 30 pounds but that's a Tyee.
Good going gentlemen.
So now up to 15 Tyee so far and I haven't even got mine yet, so more to come.

Pics when I get them.

Take care.

I had planned to post photos of the Tyee I had planned to catch this evening, but as usual my rod holders failed me miserably so here's photos of the last three caught before tonight.

Here's the smallest one, caught by Mr. Syroid and rowed by Floyd Ross, a nice 30 pounder.
Nice looking fish.
TyeeFloyd23.jpg
Well done gentlemen.

Next, we have that show-off Mr. Richard Holman who rowed himself into the club with a nice 33 pounder.
Apparently, he couldn't wait for me to row him, having heard too many stories of unsuccessful rod-holders who have previously been seen in my boat, so he did it all himself. I blame social media.
TyeeHolman23.jpg
Well done indeed. A tip of the hat for sure.

Lastly, we have the biggest Tyee to date, the 43 1/2 pounder caught by Mr. Tillapaugh who was rowed by Steve Spiers.
This is the only Tyee caught on a spoon so far.
TyeeSpiers23.jpg

Given the difficulty of keeping one hooked on a spoon stay hooked, a big WELL DONE from here.

Nice night rowing tonight with a father and his 10-year-old son on their first outing in the pool together.
Saw a couple of strikes and one boat way out on a fish but have heard nothing regarding any success on a Tyee.

Next time.

Take care.

Last edited:
I like how a Campbell river fish at 43 pounds does not even seem like much of a football.

The CR stock seem to be long fish for their weight.

As noted above, this nice little fish became the third Tyee of the season, handled deftly by Mike Newton on the rod and rowed by iconic rower Morris Trace.

View attachment 96306

This is the second Tyee for Mike this year, which means he's in the lead for the Isfeld Memorial Trophy, awarded to the angler who registers the largest pair of Tyee caught on separate days of the season.
The fish took a plug and was caught at 5:10 AM today.

Well done men.

Take care.

Congrats Mike, couldnt happen to a better guy, well maybe Floyd ...and you to Dave

Last edited:
Nothing to report from this morning other than someone cleaned an undersized one earlier, judging from the seagulls enjoying breakfast.

Speaking of breakfast, I think I'll enjoy one myself.
RSCN7869.JPG

But first I'll spill it on the floor.

sigh.......

Take care.

Do you have an idea of how much the average weight of these fish has decreased over the years?

Just for fun I took a look at the catch record book in the clubhouse and did a comparison of before the dams and after the dams on the Campbell, 12 years apart.

In 1945, the second biggest number of Tyee was registered at 284 for the season.
The average weight was 40 1/2 pounds.
There were 49 new members rowed into the club.
Cecil Smith rowed 26 Tyee.
There were four Tyee over 60 pounds.
There were 20 over 50 pounds.
The rest were little ones. LOL

The Campbell ran free back then and because it had a substrate bottom of larger rocks and such it took a big robust salmon to be able to dig redds and successfully spawn. Over the years this led to the development of a big race of Chinook.
The same scenario is seen up Rivers Inlet where the short Owikeno river offered the same situation and the Chinook there evolved to be a large race.
Same with the Tsitika river race of summer run steelhead. Conditions there created the biggest race of summer run steelhead in any river on the east coast of Vancouver Island. In fact, the only salmon that can make it up the Tsitika are summer run coho, summer run steelhead and escaped Atlantic salmon from net-pen salmon farms.

Fast forward 12 years on the Campbell and there are a number of dams on the system and the flow is controlled by Hydro, and not often in favor of the fish and we have the results from 1957.

In 1957 there were 43 Tyee registered.
One over 60 pounds.
Two over 50 pounds.
10 over 40 pounds.
Bud Adams was top rower with six Tyee.

Different years obviously are affected by numerous things and this simplistic explanation doesn't cover many of them, but after Western MInes acidified the whole system the Campbell River race of Chinook was nearly lost, and the Quinsam hatchery was the basic Saviour of the run.
It started in 1975, if memory serves.

Just as an aside, back in the 90's after a BC Hydro snafu that saw Sayward flooded and a new spawning channel on the Campbell basically destroyed, our Mayor at the time took them to task and the then existing branch of the Steelhead Society of BC got involved somewhat. Some investigation into things unearthed the reality that BC Hydro had not been in compliance with their mandate for some 41 years.
Fish were not heavily factored into some decisions back then.
Things have improved since the 90's and Hydro now attempts to mimic natural seasonal flows as best they can, except for last year.

Take care.

Bonus that the jam side landed face up

Yes it was, 'cause that's really good home-made plum jam.

The whole scenario we so ridiculous I still laugh at myself.
After cooking the breakfast, I carried it in my right hand to my chair, from where I rule my empire, and then reached over to grab a pillow off my couch to serve as a lap table, so to speak.
During this maneuver I slightly tilted the plate and the fork, sensing the opportunity, made a leap for freedom by hurling itself onto the floor, just out of my reach.
Glaring at the fork and cursing its audacity I put the pillow back on the couch and then the plate on the pillow.
Unfortunately, I didn't notice the tilt on the pillow, being still annoyed at the fork, and when I put the plate on the pillow it slid neatly off, everything right side up. When the plate hit the floor, everything slid off, as can be seen in the photo, and stayed right side up.

I hate cooking.

Take care.

Back