Tales From The Tyee Pool.....2023

Pal Peter and I managed to launch my boat earlier today with no major mishaps, neither of us actually fell in this time, and the only actual damage was when I squeezed one of my testicles against the gunwale whilst trying to board the boat while it was still on the trailer.
Apparently, I'm not as nimble as I used to be.

Take care.
🤣🤣🤣

Finally got everything in place and ready to go with launch time set for tomorrow afternoon.
Had to bail out much water this morning, then set-up the barrel borrowed from my neighbor so we could test run the outboard and tune it a smidge.
Checked out my lights and found that the bow set-up had finally expired so off to OP and 60 bucks later a nice new one sits in place.

Looking forward to my first row this Friday with John. It's a bit early for sure but at least we can enjoy the fishing experience but most likely won't have any catching experience.
But ya never know for sure.

Take care.
Dave,

Once again I want to send a special thank you for the amazing experience on the pool Friday evening. And for helping guiding me through
my whirlwind week at Campbell River.
I know that tight lines are in the future for you and hopefully your many passengers and pilots.

tttys
Sincerely.
John I.

Last edited:
Dave,

Once again I want to send a special thank you for the amazing experience on the pool Sunday evening. And for helping guiding me through
my whirlwind week at Campbell River.
I know that tight lines are in the future for you and hopefully your many passengers and pilots.

tttys
Sincerely.
John I.
My pleasure John but I'm pretty sure we went out Friday evening, given this is Sunday evening and we aren't out. LOL

Neat to hear some of your tales of big salmon caught during your shore-casting experiences.
Maybe get out at a fishier time someday.

As at 6:00 PM today, Sunday, there is nothing to report from the Tyee Pool.
Counted seven boats out Friday when John and I were out, four boats last night with one, (Jules) in the morning, and haven't looked recently but will be checking later.

Take care.

My pleasure John but I'm pretty sure we went out Friday evening, given this is Sunday evening and we aren't out. LOL

Neat to hear some of your tales of big salmon caught during your shore-casting experiences.
Maybe get out at a fishier time someday.

As at 6:00 PM today, Sunday, there is nothing to report from the Tyee Pool.
Counted seven boats out Friday when John and I were out, four boats last night with one, (Jules) in the morning, and haven't looked recently but will be checking later.

Take care.
Yes,,,,,, Friday evening ...My bad.... I'm still having jet lag or wind burn or sun stroke

Tuesday evening and back from the clubhouse where I saw perhaps 10 rowboats out on a really small ebb.
The big excitement was when a powerboat pulled out from near the mooring buoy with someone hanging onto a throbbing rod.
(Geepers, that sounds dirty.)

Anyway, we watched for quite a time as they fought a fish and slowly drifted northwards, almost into the pool.
In the end they lost the fish, whatever it was, so we'll never know now. Fought for a long time.

Lovely evenings of late, and last night brought along a wee rainbow with it along with seven intrepid and optimistic rowers, none of whom managed a fish. Here are a few pics.
I was walking out to head down to the clubhouse and wanted to see what was at the end of the rainbow, so took this pic.
Turns out it's the Nystar warehouse full of aggregate ore that's the stand-in for the pot of gold at this end.

DSCN7808.JPG

I hastened to the clubhouse, hoping to perhaps find the pot of gold there, but it turned out the other end of the rainbow just missed it, as can be seen here.
Turned out to be a golden-haired pretty lady instead. (You'll have to take my word for it, she's pretty.)
DSCN7817.JPG

Here's a pic of three members from the Gage family, Richard on the oars with Mom Betty and Dad Mike getting ready to put their plugs out.
I've mentioned before that Mike and Betty are unique parents as they have two sons who have each rowed a 60 pound plus Tyee in the Tyee Pool.
One was Mike's 61 1/2 pounder 10 years ago and the other was boated by local businessman and Hall of Fame racecar driver, George Stuart many years ago and weighed 63 pounds. I think Richard rowed Mike and Roger, current President of the Tyee Club of BC rowed the other, when he was a teen.
This makes Mike and Betty unique on planet Earth, as no other parents can make that claim.
RSCN7820.JPG

This last pic was taken last Friday evening when I had John Ingram along as a rod-holder.
Handsome guy, eh?

DSCN7807.JPG

Not much to report fish-wise, but it's early yet and I haven't had Merv out yet, so hang in there and I'll be posting fish pics before ya know it.

Take care.

Tuesday evening and back from the clubhouse where I saw perhaps 10 rowboats out on a really small ebb.
The big excitement was when a powerboat pulled out from near the mooring buoy with someone hanging onto a throbbing rod.
(Geepers, that sounds dirty.)

Anyway, we watched for quite a time as they fought a fish and slowly drifted northwards, almost into the pool.
In the end they lost the fish, whatever it was, so we'll never know now. Fought for a long time.

Lovely evenings of late, and last night brought along a wee rainbow with it along with seven intrepid and optimistic rowers, none of whom managed a fish. Here are a few pics.
I was walking out to head down to the clubhouse and wanted to see what was at the end of the rainbow, so took this pic.
Turns out it's the Nystar warehouse full of aggregate ore that's the stand-in for the pot of gold at this end.

View attachment 95604

I hastened to the clubhouse, hoping to perhaps find the pot of gold there, but it turned out the other end of the rainbow just missed it, as can be seen here.
Turned out to be a golden-haired pretty lady instead. (You'll have to take my word for it, she's pretty.)
View attachment 95605

Here's a pic of three members from the Gage family, Richard on the oars with Mom Betty and Dad Mike getting ready to put their plugs out.
I've mentioned before that Mike and Betty are unique parents as they have two sons who have each rowed a 60 pound plus Tyee in the Tyee Pool.
One was Mike's 61 1/2 pounder 10 years ago and the other was boated by local businessman and Hall of Fame racecar driver, George Stuart many years ago and weighed 63 pounds. I think Richard rowed Mike and Roger, current President of the Tyee Club of BC rowed the other, when he was a teen.
This makes Mike and Betty unique on planet Earth, as no other parents can make that claim.
View attachment 95606

This last pic was taken last Friday evening when I had John Ingram along as a rod-holder.
Handsome guy, eh?

View attachment 95607

Not much to report fish-wise, but it's early yet and I haven't had Merv out yet, so hang in there and I'll be posting fish pics before ya know it.

Take care.
Evening Dave,
Thanks for sneaking the photo. The trip and meeting you will be a vivid
memory for a long time to come.

Just home again with nothing to report on fish, although it looked like someone might have been hooked up near the south corner of the bar and then were carried north by the tiny ebb current until they either lost it or let it go. Don't know for sure.

It was a neat night for different marine traffic as we saw a large barge called Lafarge Trader being towed by a rather short and blunt-like tugboat, heading south. I missed phots on that combo.

Next along was the Roald Amundsen, a Norwegian vessel used for research and eco-adventure tourism. It's also a hybrid vessel and used to demonstrate that larger vessels can be operated in a much more environmentally friendly manner.
Here she is.
RSCN7843.JPG

Here's a link to info about her.

Next along was a weird looking trio with one boat towing a strange looking catamaran which was itself towing another boat.
Turns out it was the Hokulea, a Hawaiian boat on a momentous voyage, part of which was circumnavigating Vancouver Island.
Anyway, she's supposed to be tied up downtown, here in Campbell River overnight, being hosted by the local First Nations band I believe.
Here she is.
RSCN7840.JPG

And here's a link to some info on her and her journey.

Next was a shiny cruise ship called the Silver Whisper. Not one of the larger ones and probably headed to Vancouver.
Here she is.
RSCN7839.JPG

And here's a link to some info on her.

Some better-looking tides coming along for the evening row in a few days, so we're still early and fishing mostly empty water, although Jules got an 18 pounder this morning.

Stayed tuned.

Take care.

Last night we watched from the yard of the clubhouse as two different boats hooked up, almost in front of us.
One was a solo rower and he managed to net his fish after a long drift northward on the ebb tide.
It was small, so he let it go.

Moments later Jim Clowes rowed out of the pool as his wife (I think) fought with a fish that was putting a good bend in the rod.
They too drifted northwards in the ebb and from the length of the fight we thought they might have a good one on.
Eventually the fish came boatside and was netted. It wasn't a Tyee at only 22 pounds, so they motored around and went back out.

I hung around until nearly 9:30 and saw no further action but have subsequently heard there were a few other undersize fish hooked last night also.

Turns out there was a Tyee hooked last night too, about 15 minutes after I'd left.
Weighed in at 35 pounds and was rowed by Mike Stutzel with Mike Newton on the rod.
The fish took a plug and fought long and hard, as the Mikes ended up way north of the Tyee Pool before finally netting it.

The name Mike Stutzel is well-known around here and he is a force to be reckoned with, having achieved more than a little success the past few years.

Here's their numbers dominating the scoreboard.
RSCN7850.JPG

And here are their names, preserved for posterity.
RSCN7849.JPG

And here's their Tyee.
Tyee23Stutzel.jpg

So, here's a big WELL DONE from me, and now it's time to start rowing.

Take care.

Just as a note: It was 55 years ago today that Tom McGregor rowed Walter Shutts to this Tyee, registered as 71 pounds and is the largest Tyee registered to date.

TyeeClubRecord.jpg

Big old fat fish for sure.

Take care.

Good day everyone.

Rowed last night with the same resounding success as everyone else, insofar as we got nothing.

The pool was lousy with Pinks, and they were jumping and cavorting everywhere, which I have been told is not good for Tyee fishing.
More experienced rowers than I have told me to buckle down when the Pinks leave as the Chinook are usually close behind.
I hope that's true.

Big floods into the evening hours so who knows, might be a school of Chinook in the next one.

Hanging in there.

Take care.

it's nice to hear the pinks are right out front. finally...
i put almost 4 hours into fishing the river yesterday to no avail. saw one nice 1-2 lb cutty caught and that's it. skunk city!
now they need to start moving up and leave the pool full of tyee for you folks!

Not that I have a lot of experience. But the river seems low. On Sunday, I headed down to the Logging rd bridge. With the incoming tide, I hoped to see some action. But nada…the low levels and warm water may keep the fish out front longer? Which may be good for The Tyee Pool?

What is the length of a well proportioned Chinook that is generally considered to be 30lb? Anyone have a rule of thumb they use?

Just a quick update, but no good news.

Yesterday morning saw Jim Clowes subdue a mighty 20 pounder early, followed much later by a 28 pounder by RD Berger and crew and also a 24 1/2 pounder by old salt Joe, whose last name has escaped me for the moment.

Couple of hookups just at dark last night, but no fish brought in.
Nothing from the early morning crew and I see a couple of spoon-dangling day timers out right now.

I'll be out tonight so we'll see what happens.
My adage is you can't catch them if they are not there.
Heard that the fishing pier downtown has six fish over 30 so maybe they are holding down there.
Remains to be seen.

Take care.

Back