Tales From The Tyee Pool.......2020..

I’ve never understood the 750 thing, do people just want to say that there fish is a little bit bigger than is actually was? 800 is far more accurate, everyone should be using it

You say that without giving any evidence.

I'm curious...is one factor more accurate for a certain range of fish? Example: Factor 800 more accurate for fish in the 25-50lb range? And then Factor 750 more accurate for 60-80lb range? Or the opposite? Probably time for a separate thread to discuss this

I’ve never understood the 750 thing, do people just want to say that there fish is a little bit bigger than is actually was? 800 is far more accurate, everyone should be using it
Using 750 is tried and true by many guides, clubs, and lodges. I would only use 800 if I'm trying to convince my buddy that his fish is smaller than it actually is.
I do that quite often.

Hi all,

I didn't consider any of that a "derail", but rather a pertinent question was asked that generated some further discussion on the thread, something I have and do encourage.

No worries from here, that's for sure.

Anyway, no new Tyee to report up to a half hour ago, although five unders were caught this morning and I just saw a 27 and a 28 come in at the Clubhouse.

With a few exceptions a lot of the fish this year seem to be short and fat, with many being in the 36 to 38 inch range.

I mentioned before the anomaly of the Tyee rowed by Paul Curtis as it was but 37 inches long yet weighed 32 1/2 pounds, a true fatty.

Most of that length are in the 24 to 28 pound range normally.

Anyway, back at it tomorrow and may try a bit of the daytime flood tide effort as well as the evening ebb.

I've noted several rowers are motoring down to just north of the Discovery Fishing Pier and then rowing there.

Fish have been holding along that area of the waterfront this past week or so it seems and a couple of the Tyee this year came from down there.

Might have to try that area too.

Take care.

Good morning all and here's hoping you all have a great week.

Here, we seem to have a problem that nobody wants to deal with, the ignoring of the No Motoring rule in the Tyee Pool.

Yesterday, as I commenced my morning walk to de-water my dog, I noticed a large boat motoring around in the pool, nearly in front of the clubhouse.

I took a few photos and videoed a small bit then carried on to the clubhouse to catch up with Bob.

He was as annoyed and frustrated as I was and claimed it was a dive boat and had put a diver down in the pool and was waiting around for him to surface.

Eventually the boat motored over and retrieved the diver and then they motored away.

Here they are, numbers and name visible and motoring illegally, but I doubt anything will come of it.

RSCN6268.JPG

I have other photos with landmarks and the No Motor sign in them along with the boat.

Regardless, a pretty dumb move for a professional outfit who you would think would be aware of the whole two months of the year when this small area is a no motoring zone.

Fast forward to this morning when once again I started out with a water-logged dog and immediately noticed a large sportfishing boat in the middle of the pool at the north end.

I walked quickly, stopping only as Buddy required, and upon reaching the clubhouse and talking with Bob took a couple of pictures of it.

RSCN6273.JPG

Can't see any numbers or a name on the boat, but they motored into the pool then shut down and jigged for some time then motored around a bit before leaving.

Blatant, and during daylight hours too.

If anyone knows these peeps maybe drop a word with them about this kind of stuff.

Tell them to last another 16 days and then they can motor around in the pool all they want.

My first whine of the season. LOL

Take care.

Speaking of rules, there was a fella on a Kayak that landed, maybe released, a nice Chinook in the pool recently. He stated on a post on Facebook that he was using 8 ounces of weight and a flasher attached to his line. It is a great catch, but is this allowed? I thought you were not to target Salmon in the pool using this gear?

Speaking of rules, there was a fella on a Kayak that landed, maybe released, a nice Chinook in the pool recently. He stated on a post on Facebook that he was using 8 ounces of weight and a flasher attached to his line. It is a great catch, but is this allowed? I thought you were not to target Salmon in the pool using this gear?
5CE8A29C-F2DD-4D48-AB74-45CB006E8592.jpeg

You are correct, if the yakker used a flasher and a lure and more than six ounces he was illegal.

Thanks to the guys who answered ahead of me.

I've been busy this morning.

Take care.

PS: No new Tyee at as this AM.

For whom the bell tolls??

We didn't get a sniff tonight but were told a 34 something was weighed in and we did hear the bell ring.

Details to follow.

Take care.

Floyd and Roma.. Plug Nice fish

Absolutely and couldn't happen for a nicer couple.

Here they are with their Tyee.

FloydRossTyee20.jpg

Photo courtesy of the Tyee Club.

You may recall that Roma nearly had the first Tyee of the year last year, beaten out by mere minutes by her daughter.

Floyd is one of those mostly quiet guys who are quietly very valuable assets for the Tyee Club, involved in several aspects of the operation of it plus a regular and successful rower.

When I grow up I'd like to be just like him, and catch Tyee just like he does too. LOL

Haven't been to the clubhouse yet today so that's all I know for now.

Take care.

Wow, we have a new leader on the board as Ken Enns rowed Nathan Lagos to a nice 39 pounder at noon today on the flood tide and using a spoon.

I've mentioned before there's a small but dedicated group who like to fish the daytime flood dangling spoons at the end of the bar.

Ken is one of those guys and knows where to sit and where the spoon should be in order to entice a strike.

This day-shift doesn't catch a lot of fish, but often the ones caught are a decent size.

Anyway, I'm stoked Ken rowed another good fish and hoping there's a few more out there for tonight.

Here's the crew. Ken on the left.

EnnsTyee20.jpg

Looking forward to tonight's row a lot more now. LOL

Take care.

Back