Tales From The Tyee Pool.....2013...

Here's a pic of me and Aaron's 45 pounder from last night.

He's the third person who has caught a Tyee from my boat the very first time they ever sat in a Tyee rowboat.

I feel bad for my regular rodholders as I haven't caught squat for them yet.

But we will.

Take care.

Wow! Double header for John Duncan!

I saw John last night with his first Tyee which got him into the club but didn't know he'd got another this morning.

Now I need someone to row me to a Tyee.

Take care.

Hey Dave~~~~ Tuesday eve the night of the full moon.... You can row your boat while I rodhold and I'll hook that big ole' brother to Jack's 61.5-pounder and hand the rod to You. We will switch places and I will row your boat now that my rotator cuff is better and you can play that fish until it is ready to swim into the net. Easy as pie! I will even clean it for you at no cost whatsoever! It's been a few decades since I cleaned the last Tyee, back in 1961 ot 62 for Mr. Sheldon at the Driftwood Beach Motel & Trailer Park. He was from Nevada.
Is it legal to hand the rod to you, Dave?
I'm going to start packing my bag, can't wait till Tuesday! As this is my 1st post, hope it lands in the right place.

If I want to go to the tyee club with my son, how do I book a boat and rower? We hung out there last year for a bit, and I promised my son I would take him this year. Thanks!

If I want to go to the tyee club with my son, how do I book a boat and rower? We hung out there last year for a bit, and I promised my son I would take him this year. Thanks!

PM me your phone number and I'll set you up.

Take care.

Hey Dave~~~~ Tuesday eve the night of the full moon.... You can row your boat while I rodhold and I'll hook that big ole' brother to Jack's 61.5-pounder and hand the rod to You. We will switch places and I will row your boat now that my rotator cuff is better and you can play that fish until it is ready to swim into the net. Easy as pie! I will even clean it for you at no cost whatsoever! It's been a few decades since I cleaned the last Tyee, back in 1961 ot 62 for Mr. Sheldon at the Driftwood Beach Motel & Trailer Park. He was from Nevada.
Is it legal to hand the rod to you, Dave?
I'm going to start packing my bag, can't wait till Tuesday! As this is my 1st post, hope it lands in the right place.

See ya Tuesday and no, this is not Jump Off Joe Lake so you cannot hold the rod and then pass it to me.................like I made you do in 1960. lol

Take care.

Back home with sore shoulders and no fish for me tonite.

Good bite on tonite and our 45 got shaded by a 46 1/2 pounder and there was a 37 too.

Several undersize tonite including a feisty 24 pounder that gave the son of Paul Curtis a darn good scrap.
He's just a little guy and had a heckuva good time.

Off to bed now.

More tomorrow.

Take care.

2 row boats way out in the channel late last night. Went home at 955 pm and they
were still not in. Drifting north with that strong ebb. Any report on them? .....BB

Couple of feisty 31 pounders as it turned out.

My pal Chris got one of them but not sure who got the other.

Still well ahead of last year's pace and hoping for more to come.

Take care.

Here's a few pics to catch up a bit and to blow my own horn. Yea me!! lol

Last Sat. was the AGM of the Tyee Club of BC where the accomplishments of last year were rewarded with the appropriate trophies.
Somehow I managed to secure the Dr. Richard Murphy trophy for rowing the most new members in to the club last year. I tied with another rower but got my two first so got the nod.
Here's a few pics:

Table-o-Trophies........

Here's the "handshake shot" as I was formally awarded the award. My name is on the last plaque on this perpetual trophy and I also received a smaller but lovely little award for my wall.

My small achievement pales in comparison to eight year old Owen Lagos who took three trophies for his 43 lb. Tyee last year.
He's nine now so I moved we ban anyone under 10 from the pool this year but nobody seconded it and I'm not a member anyway so it died on the floor. [grin]

I did rub it in to him about our much larger 45 lb. Tyee last Friday nite and claimed how lucky he is that I'm old and slow........a year slow in this case it turns out.

Then I made fun of his trophy too, the "stuffed crow award".

He's a great little kid and comes from a neat family too.

Props to him for sure.

But I'm still gonna hassle the little guy, just on general principles. lol

I'll update the catch report later or you can check it at www.tyeeclub.org too.

Take care.

Thats just GREAT! Many congrats. Its really nice to see the Tyee Club getting the recognition it deserves. I have not tried to get a button, but after having my doctor show me today a pic of a 45.5 taken a couple of days ago BY HIS WIFE THAT HAD NEVER LANDED A CHINOOK BEFORE, my juices are running!!! (His catch???-- nada, but he is booked for another tide in a couple of days)

Few from tonite as I wasn't able to row so took pics instead.

Full moon and Paul Curtis on the rampage what with racking and stacking these two about 15 minutes apart.

He's the rower and I think the rodman was named Justin.

Blood one was but 24 1/2 but the other one was a total heartbreaker at 29 3/4 lbs.

Should have heard the collective moan that went up when Judy the weigh-mistress went "nyet, nyet, not quite."

Shortly thereafter along came Richard Gage and pal with what turned out to be a 33 lb Tyee.

Sadly, I missed any pics of it as I was repairing my rower's seat at the time.

I heard the bell being rung again after I was home but not sure of number......I heard three but could have missed one.....or two. lol

Interesting watching this ship dock the other day as a couple of diehards worked the pool over while the local clean-up crew took care of last nite's fish remains.

Nobody told the ship about not motoring in the Tyee Pool I guess. [grin]

Take care.

Congrats Dave on the award. I have been having some success since I last posted to you rowing solo for salmon on the south island. The latest was a 14lb. Not huge by any stretch but it was fun. We are up in Comox again and would like to check out the pool. My row boat is only 9’ so it works for myself or myself and my 8 year old but if my dad and I wanted to try rowing in the tyee pool is there a place that rents the longer boats? Also is there a certain tide that works and one that doesn’t.
My son and I caught a few little springs tonight off cape Lazo but I’m not sure he could handle the rod on a big one however my dad and I were thinking of giving it a go.
Thanks
Angus

Back