Swiftsure Springs

Cornfed

I know that there are a lot of coho and obviously halibut that run over Swifsture Bank every year, but are there a fair amount of springs as well? If so, are these springs the same fish that run on the "highway"? I have only fished the bank for coho, but am interested in the possibility of catching a spring or two. From what I have read on the forum it sounds like plugs are necessary to ward off hungry coho, but on the other hand chovies are the staple for the west side. What is the best method for this area? What time of year is best? Fishing the "highway" out of Tahsis, all of the springs are in the top 70 ft (21m) of water (for the most part). Do the springs (if any) at Swiftsure hang around in the same column of water or are they deeper?
As always, any information is greatly greatly appreciated, especially with gas prices going the way they are, I have to make my trips count!

6" Tomic plugs in pearl white,pink and blue ( don't know the #'s)
fished on the downrigger between 90 and 150'
The coho will hit it if you're slow, ya gotta drop it quick
and get below them.
we hit Springs between 10 & 18 lbs out there last summer.

The springs the last couple of years have not really been on fire on Swiftsure, they are there, but it's a long way to go for a few springs. I don't think I got skuned more then a couple of times at any of the in-shore spots for Springs along the coast close to Renfrew in 2006. If I had to target springs specificly, I would not put Swiftsure in my sights, it may be better this year, but 2006 was a waste of time, and 2005 was not that great. The ones we did hit out there were teenagers, so rather then burn 100 litres of gas running out there, if I wanted those I would just wait till winter to wack 'em near the dock at Beechy.

Learn to fish "the beach", success is virtually assured, and it's lots nicer to fill the license with bigguns instead of teens. Plus, the scenery is better, and you don't have a !@#$%&* Coho every 10 seconds.

Good point LC, although if memory serves me right "the beach"
was also slow last year.
a brief flurry last week of August, 1st week Sept.
otherwise not exactly hot .:(

quote:memory serves me right "the beach"
was also slow last year.

Was the worst ever for me last year up there. Went 3 week ends straight at one point with out even a bite. Others did better than I. But overall the concensus was that fishing was off by a mile up there last year. Of course there was that one guy next to me who limited out almost every day. I got even with him by giving him the evil eye when he wasnt looking in my direction[:p]!

i did well last year but not as good as years before. sad , i even cancelled my trip 2 nootka last year "early august" because it was slow. hope this year is better for everyone. scotty

Thanks for all of the responses. Next time I go to the bank, I will run a couple of 6" plugs deep and then stack lines in the top 50' for coho. Many thanks.

Last year there was a mass of warm water that hung off around the entrance to Juan de Fuca straight that affected all the runs. At one point it looked like to Coho weren't going to com in at all between the water temp and lack of rain. I think they came in November. Hopefully the case will be different this year.

I fished the US side of Swiftsure last august and september and had no problem getting limits of hatchery coho. I believe the problem was the influx of bait and the lack of rain to draw the coho into their river systems so they were really late.

quote:Originally posted by Cornfed

I know that there are a lot of coho and obviously halibut that run over Swifsture Bank every year, but are there a fair amount of springs as well? If so, are these springs the same fish that run on the "highway"? I have only fished the bank for coho, but am interested in the possibility of catching a spring or two. From what I have read on the forum it sounds like plugs are necessary to ward off hungry coho, but on the other hand chovies are the staple for the west side. What is the best method for this area? What time of year is best? Fishing the "highway" out of Tahsis, all of the springs are in the top 70 ft (21m) of water (for the most part). Do the springs (if any) at Swiftsure hang around in the same column of water or are they deeper?
As always, any information is greatly greatly appreciated, especially with gas prices going the way they are, I have to make my trips count!

You have to get through the shoals of coho and dogfish to get to the chinook. Use a 15 pound cannonball to get through the first 70 feet as fast as you dare drop the ball and troll a lot faster - 4.5 mph is just a "slow" starting speed. I like to use a 7-inch Tomic plug, almost any colour but the usual west coast ones like #602, 700, 803, 500 are good as are the new #530 glo UV, or the clear plaid inserts #49X series. Colour #3 in 5.5-inch Apex Hot Spots are great too, but they are hard to get down quickly enough without picking up a coho, and if you slow down for an instant, you'll have a doggie on. Fish between 70 and 150 feet and try to go with the current.

If you get there really early, you can have your limit of chinook and then fish for a limit of halibut by noon.

Thanks for the info. I can't believe how fast the troll is for the plugs. Is this to produce an action that agitates the springs to strike? 4.5 mph is usually a little bit faster than what I troll for coho.

Back