SVOP

BearCove

Crew Member
Hey Crew,

Wondering if anyone has any new info on the SVOP? I have talked with a few people with no real firm information, left messages with TC.

I know the limitations of the SVOP but I have read that they were going to up them so you could operate a slightly larger boat with having to get your 60 tonne.

The boat I'm looking at operating is 31 foot and 7.2 tonnes

Hoping I don't have to get a 60 tonne to operate commercially.

Any intel would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Im doing the course right now, my books and instructor has told me its for 5 gross tones, 12 passengers or less and within 25 miles of shore.

The Proposed SVO, Small Vessel Operator, was planned to come into effect in 2020. The last I have been told by TC, it would be coming into effect Spring 2023. No further news yet. The limits would be 12 metres length and 12 passengers. TC is moving away from Tonnage and is going with length as it is easier for everyone to understand. The Proposed SVO course will be 32 hours for the Basic module. If you have the SVOP, you will be grandfathered into the SVO Basic. You may need to take one of three modules if you don't have experience, Passenger, Fishing or Towing.

The Proposed SVO, Small Vessel Operator, was planned to come into effect in 2020. The last I have been told by TC, it would be coming into effect Spring 2023. No further news yet. The limits would be 12 metres length and 12 passengers. TC is moving away from Tonnage and is going with length as it is easier for everyone to understand. The Proposed SVO course will be 32 hours for the Basic module. If you have the SVOP, you will be grandfathered into the SVO Basic. You may need to take one of three modules if you don't have experience, Passenger, Fishing or Towing.
that's good news for me! been wondering how I would get the sea time done for that ticket, just to run tours or fishing charters from a 10.1M boat with 6 passengers. what they're proposing seems a little more reasonable, because the Gross tonnes calculation seems impossible to do to me. who really cares how many barrels of wine I can carry.... lol

Did some reading on this I kind of doubt that charter operators have invested the half year of course work and 24 months of vessel hours just to be a charter boat operator to catch tuna for 4 weeks a year.
Pretty much. I’m sure most of the guides don’t have higher than svop doing tuna. Otherwise, they would most likely be working full time for a lot more money than a few months out of the year.

scroll down to table 4.1. Passenger carrying vessel and >25 nm makes it a class 1 voyage = Master 150 GT. I have no idea what qualifications what other guides might have, but I am suspicions that the tuna charters might be stepping out of their qualifications? I could be totally wrong though.

Is there also an NC1 endorsement for greater than 25nm on the 150 required?
from reading the regs, I would say yes that appears correct. but, im no expert on this subject

seems like they never considered a >5GT vessel would be guiding a tuna fishing trip/ Hali trip more than 25NM from shore when they wrote the regulations

from reading the regs, I would say yes that appears correct. but, im no expert on this subject

seems like they never considered a >5GT vessel would be guiding a tuna fishing trip/ Hali trip more than 25NM from shore when they wrote the regulations
Ya, I didn't want to spoil anyone's day

Thanks for the info guys, interesting that there are so many operations offering Tuna charters. I guess they operate in a bit of a grey zone.
There is very little "grey" in Transport Canada's eyes

that's good news for me! been wondering how I would get the sea time done for that ticket, just to run tours or fishing charters from a 10.1M boat with 6 passengers. what they're proposing seems a little more reasonable, because the Gross tonnes calculation seems impossible to do to me. who really cares how many barrels of wine I can carry.... lol
The taxman, that's who cares!

Back