Small Vessel Operator Proficiency Training Course

Yes exactly. The courses give a lot of excellent info. And yes the safety briefing is written in the law as well. And like you say if something goes wrong they will investigate and question all of the passengers. You should have a check list to go through every time you go out. I mentioned it in another thread not long ago about how most of my passengers have had no idea how to use a VHF, call signs etc and also most have no clue about cold water exposure/survival etc. Going through these things fresh before a trip can really help them with knowledge and also make them feel like you care about their safety.
Part of the safety briefing for me is showing everyone how to use the VHF, and also the EPIRB. I also took a label gun and made up decals with the vessel name and C number which is posted right in front of the radios. We also show them how to send a distress signal using the DSC distress button and explain the MMSI number. For vessels over 8m we are also required to have an AIS transceiver so that Coast Guard can track our vessel movements/location. They can also use the AIS to do enforcement on minimum approach distances to killer whales....some further discussion going on right now to reduce the 8m to 6 m requirement so that virtually all small commercial vessels can be tracked while in close proximity to SRKW.

Don't forget the fire fighting equipment in a safety briefing.

Part of the safety briefing for me is showing everyone how to use the VHF, and also the EPIRB. I also took a label gun and made up decals with the vessel name and C number which is posted right in front of the radios. We also show them how to send a distress signal using the DSC distress button and explain the MMSI number. For vessels over 8m we are also required to have an AIS transceiver so that Coast Guard can track our vessel movements/location. They can also use the AIS to do enforcement on minimum approach distances to killer whales....some further discussion going on right now to reduce the 8m to 6 m requirement so that virtually all small commercial vessels can be tracked while in close proximity to SRKW.

Right on. Yes same for me too with my safety briefing. Wife just got me an Auto EPIRB for Christmas and I just picked up a ResQLink PLB the other day that I'll be attaching to my life jacket. Going to get a few more of the PLB's for the boat too. I like them, nice and small and don't even know they are there but they can be all the difference if go over board unexpectedly without the EPIRB being set off. Same for my VHF instructions I have a laminated sheet with call instructions with my boat name included, distress call instructions etc. Fire safety, throw line life ring etc..
I wasn't aware about them using the AIS for SRKW enforcement. Interesting. Is it DFO doing that on their own or are they asking the CCG to assist as well? I think there will be a lot of ticketed, fined, and out of business whale watching boats if they monitored all of their AIS's with proximity to the whales.. I see them breaking the rules all the time even after all the reg changes, publicity, bulletins etc..

When did the AIS requirement come into effect? I have not heard about that.

Guess I should read the post better. Just reread it and saw over 8m. I'm still good, but will look into it anyway.

Don't forget the fire fighting equipment in a safety briefing.
U bet, we have to cover off everything..I was just commenting on the radio portion. I have a routine checklist I run through starting with re-boarding ladder, procedure for rescuing person in water including life ring, then move to life jackets, fire fighting, radio, EPIRB, first aid. On the Med A-3 course the instructor advised us to place all the first aid kits, flare kits and hand held VHF into a water proof bag stored within easy reach. That simplifies my safety briefing as everything is in one place and accessible. We always talk about engine start up and how to shift gears etc. An important thing to cover off is if we had to abandon ship, that everyone should stay linked together once in the water....and how to use DSC to send an emergency distress then bring the EPIRB and arm it. Sounds like a lot but its actually pretty quick once you develop a bit of a routine.

A take-with-you ditch bag is a great idea and habit - as searun outlined above (always appreciate your posts and insights, searun!).

For me - I keep a few simple tools (screwdriver with bits, 2 adjustables, knife, etc.), file/sandpaper, couple clamps, assortment of fuses (they take practicably no room nor weight), waterproof flashlight, waterproof hand-held VHF, small GPS loaded w charts & tracks, smallest package of flares w pengun, extra AA batteries for units, and 1st Aid kit. It all fits in something less than the size of of a backpack - about the size of 1 grocery bag but in a waterproof bag. Easy-peasy to take with you no matter which boat you go in. Should handle the vast majorities of minor "emergencies" before they get to be an actual emergency...

Subject: E-Inquiry - AMSE - RDIMS # 15547158 - Ship Safety Bulletin No: 09/2019 -

Thank you for your email regarding recent amendments to the Navigation Safety Regulations to expand Automatic Identification System (AIS) carriage requirements to smaller vessels.

Section 4 of the amended Navigation Safety Regulations specifies that the following vessels must be fitted with a Class A AIS:

• vessels of 150 gross tonnage or more that are carrying more than 12 passengers and engaged on an international voyage;
  • vessels, other than a fishing vessel, of 300 gross tonnage or more that are engaged on an international voyage; and
  • vessels, other than a fishing vessel, of 500 gross tonnage or more that are not engaged on an international voyage.

It also specifies that the following vessels that are engaged on a voyage other than a sheltered waters voyage** must be fitted with a Class A AIS or a Class B AIS:

• vessels that are certified to carry more than 12 passengers; or
  • vessels that are eight metres or more in length and are carrying passengers

Note that pursuant to the Canada Shipping Act, 2001, a passenger is defined as a person carried on a vessel by the owner or operator, other than

(i) the master, a member of the crew or a person employed or engaged in any capacity on board the vessel on the business of that vessel, or

(ii) a guest on board the vessel, if the vessel is used exclusively for pleasure and the guest is carried on it without remuneration or any object of profit;

As such, unless the guests are paying customers, these expanded AIS carriage requirements would not apply.

With regards to Sheltered Waters , it is defined as : A voyage in Canada, on a lake or a river above tidal waters, where a vessel can never be further than 2.5 nautical miles from shore (measured either from the mainland or from an island the vessel can use as a safe refuge from the weather)

Lists were also created to include additional waters we have found to be low risk even though it is possible be further than 2.5 nautical miles from shore.

The most recent lists can be obtained at :

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2007-31/page-3.html#docCont

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/bulletins-2017-08-eng.htm

I took the SVOP, MED-A3 and the ROC-M courses early this spring. My instructor told the class that changes are coming to the course. He couldn’t elaborate what exactly will change though. He did say it will be longer and cover more info so obviously will cost more. Also mentioned that the new certificates MIGHT no longer be lifetime. That’s a maybe. No one knew at that time but maybe how it is now. Meaning if your thinking about taking it, do it sooner rather than later. The course change was apparently supposed to be introduced summer/fall 2020 but last I spoke with him covid had put the brakes on that. That was end of July. Changes maybe already happened as I got my MED-A3 certificate and someone above has mentioned that it is called something different now.

Last edited:
I recommend laminating a list of call instructions for your VHF to communicate properly with other commercial vessels, marine traffic radio operators, coast guard, SAR's, TC, RCMP, etc

Sounds Like a good idea for any boat Chasin' Dreams. Where can I get a list of call instructions?

Last edited:
I took the SVOP, MED-A3 and the ROC-M courses early this spring. My instructor told the class that changes are coming to the course. He couldn’t elaborate what exactly will change though. He did say it will be longer and cover more info so obviously will cost more. Also mentioned that the new certificates MIGHT no longer be lifetime. That’s a maybe. No one knew at that time but maybe how it is now. Meaning if your thinking about taking it, do it sooner rather than later. The course change was apparently supposed to be introduced summer/fall 2020 but last I spoke with him covid had put the brakes on that. That was end of July. Changes maybe already happened as I got my MED-A3 certificate and someone above has mentioned that it is called something different now.

Yes. Updated a course couple years ago and instructor said SVOP will be good for passenger vessels up to 12Gt soon. As of right now it is only good for passenger vessels up to 5gt and non passenger to 12Gt...but they were saying that cpl years ago. Even woman at nanaimo TC office said it will happen but bureaucracy means things take forever to go through legislative hoops.

Back