Suzuki weighs in - Orca plight article

And of course Suzuki doesn’t touch up on the in river netting genocide of fish in the most important river the killer whales need!
Feeding ******** to the Vancouver hipster bleeding heart culture!

I've seen a few Hipsters in Victoria on recent trips as well.

One big concern in this article is how he bashes hatcheries. While they are not free of any issues, they remain one of the best ways to provide for much needed food for starving orcas.

If we don't provide more food for these whales and fast, all the other issues facing them fade in importance. We need to counter the growing negatively around salmon enhancement. It is a powerful and effective way to practically help these whales.
I can see the argument of not putting a Hatchery on river systems that have habitat relatively intact and healthy populations, but when you look at rivers that have had a large amount of their habitat damaged or destroyed and Salmon populations brought down to very low levels, then hatcheries play an important part in producing salmon, which whales need for food Mr. Suzuki!

I can see the argument of not putting a Hatchery on river systems that have habitat relatively intact and healthy populations, but when you look at rivers that have had a large amount of their habitat damaged or destroyed and Salmon populations brought down to very low levels, then hatcheries play an important part in producing salmon, which whales need for food Mr. Suzuki!

.....And just another reason for hatcheries sits only a couple of miles from my place - its called a Dam. Trying to imagine what our local fishery would be like with no Capilano hatchery after the Cleveland Dam was built !

No kidding. Wilsey dam near Lumby was built in the 50s and they’ve been talking about a fish ladder ever since.

Must be cheaper to do countless studies on the subject than actually build one though cuz we’re still waiting.

Suzuki better loosen his blinders to the real problems and consider these facts ;
The Southern Orcas have not produced female offspring which is a must for the Pods future survival and only 26 females in the Pod that can produce at present time
The Northern Orcas are 300+ and growing, they are eating fish in the same areas and growing
The Norther Orcas are competing with the Southern Orcas for territory putting pressure on the Southern Orcas
The Southern Orcas in the past 60 yrs have never been more than 100 and have had four periods of pod reduction since then , one as low as 64 members.
The Southern Orcas in past fed on winter USA Chinook destined for USA rivers (Columbia River) which aren't there anymore
are we going to shut down the USA fishing as well ??

I have one question , has anyone seen or heard of an necropsy done on the Orcas that have passed on, would be interesting to actually hear what the reason was ??

Back