Suzuki outboards

I got the 2009 90 hp, same powerhead and model as the 70. Couldn't be happier! Fantastic engines!

I have a DF60 and I have been extremely happy with it, very fuel efficient. If your unsure of the condition, take it to a Suzuki dealer and pay a nominal fee to have them "run a report". This will tell you rpms motor has been run and warnings that have occurred.

They are heavy for the HP class at 152kg.
in comparison the Yamaha F70 is only 118 kg.

Yep: F70. ~ 120kg compares with Suzuki’s 70 ~ 155kg. (depending on leg length, etc.)
But not that heavy when compared to Honda’s latest 70: 163kg. Mercury’s 75 hp 4-stroke - 180 kg. Ouch!!! Even the 75 “E Tec” 2-stroke weighs in at 145 kg.

How does Yamaha do that?
In large part the answer lies in that the F70 is only a one litre engine; 996cc to be exact. The displacement of the others is 50%+ greater.
Suzuki’s 70 is 1502cc. Mercury’s 75 is 1732cc, Honda’s 70 is 1496. Unlike competitors whose 70s are detuned versions of their 80hp and 90hp models, the Yamaha F70 has the same piston displacement as its 60. Horsepower is one part of the equation - torque is another.

"There is no replacement for displacement." Yamaha has maintained a great reputation for reliability and longevity but 996 cc compared to 1502 ??? Time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will always luv my 250 zuki

But with the new technology out now will seem like a crap shoot..............or extensive research, Eh!!

Will always luv my 250 zuki

But with the new technology out now will seem like a crap shoot..............or extensive research, Eh!!
Always had Yami's but, yeah - great motors. I have a DF225 and it's been a champ - always starts, quiet, smooth, easy maintenance. We changed out t-stats and internal zincs last fall - cooling galleries clean as new snow in the Arctic. I am wishing for a few more ponies, though - it'll be a Suzuki 300. Maybe next winter - Santa?

Back