Suzuki or Yamaha

cloud

Need to buy a new engine...looking at a 175. any counsel on which is better ? any thoughts on a good place to buy on vancouver island ?

thanks

DUH! Its Yammi all the way. Sorry to be so blunt but Suzuki as a sorry excuse for an outboard. If I had the jack to blow on an outboard that size I would do some serious homework on the Evinrude E-tech outboards. No oil to change and the first scheduled service a few years out. Thats awesome. Good luck on your venture.

this is a ford vs chevy debate. the fact is ALL outboard produced now days are excellent, or they wouldnt be on the market. Suzukis are AWESOME engines, Yamahas are AWESOME engines. But you will want to go with the engines with the best deal support, and in Bc, thats going to be yamaha and mercury.

Isn't there a Suzuki dealer in Bamfield? I would also be thinking about service too. Your nearest fix, if needed, would be Alberni with a Yamaha. Something to think about.

Yea theres a dealer in bamfield alotta westcoast guides are big on the suzukis and have nothing but praise. They know their stuff so they cant be to wrong.Also look into the warranty i hear suzukis have 7 years. I have a yamie and alot of friends do as well. Good engines i havent had any problems.

I'm dropping the better part of lots of money on a set of Zuke's next week. I've always been a Yamaha man, but a major dealership that I have a great relationship with (And keep stocked with hali trips), has taken them on. The guys I know that run them have good luck with them, and my current Yamaha that is leaving has been flawless.

thks for the points

have a 200 mariner now..needs a power head ( nice timing )...has not been that reliable overall....so that is the reason to go for a new 4 stroke.....will look at yamaha to start

i plan to call dealers in Victoria to start...Sherwood i guess

Take a short walk down Guide Row in Ukee's main Boat Basin. Isn't hard to notice that over 1/2 of the guide rigs (including the one I run) are running Suzuki's. Great Warrenty, good service package (and Yes, there is a Dealer in Bamfield), decent HP to weight ratio, reliability and performance. I'm seriously impressed with their 250 4 stroke, had absolutely NO problems with it whatsoever (and it WAS worked HARD) over the season. Quite like the 300 HP my partner was running too.

That many Ladz that run them on a daily basis, and work them as hard as they do, can't be all wrong IMHO.

Good Luck with your search!

Cheers,
Nog

What sort of boat are you repowering...???
There are some decent 2 stroke options still available on the market today...e-tec, yamaha hpdi or opti's...
Sometimes you need a better power to weight ratio than what a 4 stroke can give you...
Suzuki's are definetly a decent place to start for the 4 stroke market...I hear nothing but good things....

thks for the feedback

re-powering a 21 foot trophy...was thinking i might shift from a 200 to a 175

On a small Trophy, they do NOT like junk in the trunk. The 175HP Zuke has an excellent power to weight ratio, that is probably the best call. There are no good Etec dealers on the Island (By that, I mean high enough volume where they know what to fix on the damn thing if it breaks), otherwise, the Etec 200 is lighter then the Zuke 175. The Zuke 175 is under 500 LBS, making it a good candidate for your rig.

After the complete lack of support and service on my 05 Yamaha Kodiak 450 ATV with numerous CDI issues, been through 4 on mine and three on my buddies at $375 a pop.Both machines have been left twice hidden in the trees awaiting parts. Dealer will not cover it and Yamaha has abandoned any resposibility. Turns out to be the wiring job to the low beam headlight circuit of the winch that SG completed. Both the dealer(SG) and Yamaha Canada blame Warn of a faulty solenoid! I will think real hard before purchasing another Yamaha product regardless of there good outboards. Action Motorcyle, yes a Honda Dealer, has given me the CDI's at cost and rewired the winch the way it should be. Yamaha will do nothing, no coverage at all and we went right to the regional manager of yamaha Canada.

Back on Topic, the West Coast Boyz swear by the Zukes! That say's something!

How fast do you need your motor? When I bought mine last Febuary 2007 I bought new old stock .So it was like 6 weeks after the end of the year 2006, but was brand new.Saved a fair bit.Unfortunately off the island was much more competitive on pricing.Friend of mine has a smaller susuki so far so good .DAN

You may also want to take a look at some of the prices in the US. There is a very large price gap right now. Provided that the engine is manufactured in North America (Evinrude as an example) there are no import duties. I'm all for supporting the local guys, but the price differential on boats and motors can pay for a couple of years of boating right now. Make sure you research the warranties. Yamaha Canada won't cover a US warranty but when I called Evinrude in the spring, their warranty is a North American one.

I have been doing some research on the same topic I have always run mercury but the new Evinrude E-tech outboards sure stand out. the hp to wait ratio and torque they produce is amazing not to mention far less moving parts than any four stroke.

danthewire.....any suggestions on where to look/buy on the lower mainland ? i am prepared to check out all options to get the best deal..including the previous year model.

overall, appreciate the counsel to get the right size power for the boat..plus warranty....plus performance ! i was thinking 175...but if 150 works, so be it.

I have owned Evinrude, Merc and Yamaha 2 strokes and Honda and Yamaha 4 strokes. Can't say any of my engines were poor and think the new technology is pretty good regardless of manufacturer. I think new 2 stroke direct injection technology, like E-Tec and others, offer great fuel economy and tons of power. A great read on the Boston whaler Continuouswave forum: http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/002392.html

Back