Suzuki 15-20 as a Kicker?

High Time

Crew Member
Considering a Suzuki 15-20 as a replacement for my 2008 Merc Bigfoot which seems to struggle a bit on my 27 Skagit Orca. Any feedback appreciated.

I have been very happy with my mercury pro kicker(EFI) 15HP. It has more then enough power to push my 26' boat around in any current or wind conditions.

It also comes with a 25" shaft. I believe the Suzuki you have to order a 5" extention separately at an extra cost and then pay dealer to install.

Also the Merc has a bigger alternator out put at 12amp compared to 10amp.

Just something to think about.

Thanks for the comebacks. I am just committing to a conversion to a 350 Zuke from the existing Volvo 7.4 I/O . Tap dancing around the engine box got real old this Summer... Will likely go with a Suzuki kicker but just wanted to check if there was much difference between the 15 and 20. I believe it is the same block. They do require a 5" extension for my boat and I believe there is a 4 blade high thrust prop available. Have to make a call on the kicker.

So really is it a high thrust kicker or really a 20 hp outboard with options to put an extension and a 4 blade high thrust prop on it?? It will probably work but it’s not what it was really built for. Staying that, it will most likely last for many years with the intended use.

Oly

I have a 24 ft Orca ---- the 15 Hp high-thrust Honda with 25" leg is a good match. I'm stepping up to a 27 ft Orca and plan on using the same kicker on the bigger Orca. I steered clear of Suzuki because they don't come with the 25" leg. Most important...Honda has the built-in pull start in case you have battery issues

Last edited:
Been 3 seasons on my suzuki 20hp 3 blade, its been a good motor & pushes my 232 grady around nicely.. the motor does have a pull start in case of battery issues,they did have a small issue with the tilt switches but with a 6 year warranty all is good..
:)

Considering a Suzuki 15-20 as a replacement for my 2008 Merc Bigfoot which seems to struggle a bit on my 27 Skagit Orca. Any feedback appreciated.
My friend has a 20 Suzuki on his 24 foot podded Osprey (300 Suzuki) for a kicker. It performs well and he is happy with the performance. He previously had a 9.9 HT Yami as a kicker.
...Rob

I'm still a bit confused about how much difference there can be between the 15 and the 20. Same block,weight, bore,stroke, so the only difference seems to be in the fuel intake to get more revs ie more HP. I can get a smokin' deal on a 2 year old,new in box,full warranty 15, with the 20 costing almost twice as much. Just wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze...

Hey Derby...can you order the 20 hp Zuke with a 25" leg? When I was looking I wasn't able to find that option

Suzuki have a 5 in extension kit that they put on the leg that added the extra 5 inches ..ran the 20in for the first season and got the extension on the second.. :)

Last edited:
I'm still a bit confused about how much difference there can be between the 15 and the 20. Same block,weight, bore,stroke, so the only difference seems to be in the fuel intake to get more revs ie more HP. I can get a smokin' deal on a 2 year old,new in box,full warranty 15, with the 20 costing almost twice as much. Just wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze...

what the weight of your boat? .. A couple of my buddy's are running 26.5 Grady's and they really like what the 20HP does on there back end ... U should find out if you can get someone the trick up the 15 up to a 20 for you... I can say that my boat ran so much better after i went from a 9.9 yam to the 20 hp....

Back