survival --2

S

Spring Drifter

Situation: You are dumped into the water off Port Renfrew and your boat sinks. Ideally, what should you be wearing, what should you be carrying for signalling etc., and what stratagies should you exercise to stay alive?
Spring Drifter

A hand held vhf is a great thing, compact and waterproof, Also the DSC emergency button sends digital automated Distress hailing out to CCG,USCG with your vessle discription and GPS location. Industry Canada takes vessle info and gives you a code for DSC programing. I have mine interphased with my GPS so if things go wrong it only takes 2 seconds to push the button. I also keep my handheld VHF in my Survival suit pocket with flares. The buddy boat thing is definitly a great defence when going offshore.

Category I
406/121.5 MHZ. Float-free, automatically activated EPIRB. Detectable by satellite anywhere in the world. Recognized by GMDSS.
Category II
406/121.5 MHZ. Similar to Category I, except is manually activated. Some models are also water activated.

A hand held vhf is a great thing, compact and waterproof, Also the DSC emergency button sends digital automated Distress hailing out to CCG,USCG with your vessle discription and GPS location. Industry Canada takes vessle info and gives you a code for DSC programing. I have mine interphased with my GPS so if things go wrong it only takes 2 seconds to push the button. I also keep my handheld VHF in my Survival suit pocket with flares. The buddy boat thing is definitly a great defence when going offshore.

Category I
406/121.5 MHZ. Float-free, automatically activated EPIRB. Detectable by satellite anywhere in the world. Recognized by GMDSS.
Category II
406/121.5 MHZ. Similar to Category I, except is manually activated. Some models are also water activated.

The post says 'dumped' from your boat. I'm guessing you don't have time to put on your survival suit. I have been dumped in the water before, and although it was from a small 12 foot boat, I think the principle is the same. You have NO time to grab anything that you are not wearing or that is not attached to you. Number 1 item with you should be a wearable PFD, so you stay afloat. Hopefully, it has a whistle attached, so you can attract attention within 50 yards or so. If you are really lucky, it might have a small signal mirror, so you can 'flash' planes or boats on the horizon. More than that is probably just not gonna happen. I don't know anyone who sport fishes with an EPIRB in their pocket. If your cell phone is waterproof, that would be nice, but mine isn't and would be dead the moment it hit the water.

The post says 'dumped' from your boat. I'm guessing you don't have time to put on your survival suit. I have been dumped in the water before, and although it was from a small 12 foot boat, I think the principle is the same. You have NO time to grab anything that you are not wearing or that is not attached to you. Number 1 item with you should be a wearable PFD, so you stay afloat. Hopefully, it has a whistle attached, so you can attract attention within 50 yards or so. If you are really lucky, it might have a small signal mirror, so you can 'flash' planes or boats on the horizon. More than that is probably just not gonna happen. I don't know anyone who sport fishes with an EPIRB in their pocket. If your cell phone is waterproof, that would be nice, but mine isn't and would be dead the moment it hit the water.

I have the whistle, jacket, and a waterproof handheld radio. What about flares? Would flares work if you're in the water?

I have the whistle, jacket, and a waterproof handheld radio. What about flares? Would flares work if you're in the water?

quote:The post says 'dumped' from your boat. I'm guessing you don't have time to put on your survival suit.

If the weather was that bad, i would have my floater coat on with those items in it! Unless there is a combustion flash fire, Rougue Wave or a Freighter collision or your dumb enough to fish swiftsure on your own, i dont think my boat will sink.

As my commercial buddy says, Ideally you should not be out there without an E-pirb and a life raft or if not a buddy boat!

quote:The post says 'dumped' from your boat. I'm guessing you don't have time to put on your survival suit.

If the weather was that bad, i would have my floater coat on with those items in it! Unless there is a combustion flash fire, Rougue Wave or a Freighter collision or your dumb enough to fish swiftsure on your own, i dont think my boat will sink.

As my commercial buddy says, Ideally you should not be out there without an E-pirb and a life raft or if not a buddy boat!

well really if its that rough and your boat is that small, what the hell are you doing still on the water.

well really if its that rough and your boat is that small, what the hell are you doing still on the water.

Just to point out the painfully obvious its a good idea to be able to swim well. Maybe go down to your pool and see how well you tread water and how long you you can keep it up. If you find that your sucking wind pretty fast your not going to last long in that water without flotation; regardless of the weather. Those mustang self inflater's are good and aren't much of an encumberance; its a good idea for all conditions, even on a nice day. 1. Make sure you float 2. Make sure you can be found. And, given whatever conditions your out in make sure you are dressed to beat hypothermia until rescue arrives.

Just to point out the painfully obvious its a good idea to be able to swim well. Maybe go down to your pool and see how well you tread water and how long you you can keep it up. If you find that your sucking wind pretty fast your not going to last long in that water without flotation; regardless of the weather. Those mustang self inflater's are good and aren't much of an encumberance; its a good idea for all conditions, even on a nice day. 1. Make sure you float 2. Make sure you can be found. And, given whatever conditions your out in make sure you are dressed to beat hypothermia until rescue arrives.

Looking at an EPIRB that I can use other than on the boat (skiing, hunting etc) Pains Wessex Fastfind Plus 406 PLB EPIRB looks good and I want to know if anyone is using this EPIRB? One thing I like is user can replace batteries, and batteries are free. Also looking at the ACR AquaFix 406 MHz GPS I/O Personal EPIRB but their antenna is rather funky. Any help would be appreciated.

Go to the westmaarine.com site and look at it in the west advisors drop down menu. The latter ACR you mentioned floats. You have to manually pull the antenna and push two buttons at the same time to fire it up. I think it has the same start up speed as the really good 406 Epirbs. Don't buy an older, used Epirb as they are outdating the technology and the old ones won't work soon.

The personal Epirb ACR 406 can be used for many things, hiking, kayaking, etc. Sounds like a good choice.

I have the inflatable vests that I really like. I have the suspenders too and don't wear them as they are uncomfortable. Don't do any good sitting on the seat and actually don't count as a flotation device unless worn. I just bought everyone in my family the new vests from Stearns. They are comfortable, but green. It would be nice if they were safety yellow or orange.

If it is cold I also have survival coats for everyone in my family too. I like wearing this the best in May on the ocean halibut fishing. Its nice and warm. But all are spendy, but what is your life worth? I also bought one of those throw bags with the rope in it. You hold one end and throw it to a person who falls overboard. I think they are mandatory in BC.

90% of men whon drown do so with their fly down !!????

It can happen to any of us at any time

Back