Super stern heavy Hewescraft, .... and rides terrible !

transom wedges will fix the porpoising, Doelfin works too, but a band-aid I think..... I had same issue with similar boat and yammy 150, dealer said yamahas don't trim down as much as other brands?? transom wedges worked awesome, easy to put in, on dryland by myself. Also the older hewescaft are narrower than now.
What a resurrection!

I hope that is not your problem. I see alot of boats floating stern heavy these days with guys wanting big hp outboards and the weight of four strokes. Yamaha f150 weighs 455 Ibs the old 2 stroke 150 omc v4 and merc inline six weight 300 lbs.
Last boat I went from 140 Johnson Vro to yamaha 90 four stroke and weights were only a couple pounds difference. Boat sat low in the butt after the change and it took me some thinking and looking and looking and thinking and it boiled down to the tilt tube on the Yamaha was farther ahead on the motor than the one on the 140. Effectively pushed the motor farther out the back over the transom. Was only a few inches but it drastically affected how my boat sat In the water. Also could get a bit of porpoising after, that it never had before.

downside is that a dol-fin would not fix the static balance issue (when floating in the water, or at trolling speed).
the sandbags do

but I may also need a dol-fin.
i have one i will sell, SE 300 used once on my hewes searunner 190 with 200 suzuki, made zero difference, if not worse performace, i was just looking to cruise at lower speeds. $80 in victoria or port alberni or anywhere in between.....

#thatswhatimtalkingabout Same here. SE300 did wonders for my Hewescraft.

Yes they work. Unfortunately most that have never used one just scoff at them. The new ones are drill less even. Boats can porpoise even with trim tabs.

There are three things it does. It eliminates the stern slipping on tight turns. It pushes bow down/eliminates porpoising (especially podded boats), and even more so with additional trim tabs. And third it allows you to come up on plane quicker. I haven't seen any performance downsides on any of my boats.

But it will not help when boats at rest. As mentioned shift weight forward. Batteries etc.

Yes they work. Unfortunately most that have never used one just scoff at them. The new ones are drill less even. Boats can porpoise even with trim tabs.

There are three things it does. It eliminates the stern slipping on tight turns. It pushes bow down/eliminates porpoising (especially podded boats), and even more so with additional trim tabs. And third it allows you to come up on plane quicker. I haven't seen any performance downsides on any of my boats.
then WHY doesnt everyone run one?? your arguments are unfounded .I tried one once tossed that POS away if your boat is dialed in you should not need one at all. And added more and more weight to a boat is just so wrong tipping factor loss of fuel economy sinking factor...as for porposing ive never had that issue ever...and ive run over 20 boats in my career. You have never run trim tabs ???????

For your porpoising run your boat at cruising speed and have someone look at your anticavitation plate. it should be at water level if buried raise the motor Motor height makes a huge difference. Popoising is caused by your proptrying to lift boat out of water then falling down and tring to lift falling. Motor height controls this

For your porpoising run your boat at cruising speed and have someone look at your anticavitation plate. it should be at water level if buried raise the motor Motor height makes a huge difference. Popoising is caused by your proptrying to lift boat out of water then falling down and tring to lift falling. Motor height controls this

Bleep. Wrong again.

Motor height does not control that. Might add to it, weight distribution, prop type, engine trim ( engine height is involved there), there's many factors.

Too much weight on the stern boat will porpois. Get that bow down.

Stern slipping? What is stern slipping..

Man this thread is getting good.

Just look at that boat. It's porpoising sitting at the dock lol

then WHY doesnt everyone run one?? your arguments are unfounded .I tried one once tossed that POS away if your boat is dialed in you should not need one at all. And added more and more weight to a boat is just so wrong tipping factor loss of fuel economy sinking factor...as for porposing ive never had that issue ever...and ive run over 20 boats in my career. You have never run trim tabs ???????

I had an older 17’ aluminum that needed a new engine. I put a 4 stroke on it from an old 2 stroke and had a porpoise issue. It looked nothing like the boat above at rest but I still had porpoising so I put a $100 fin on the boat and it was a completely different boat. Zero porpoise, slower cruise, lower bow etc. I didn’t want to run a lighter engine because I needed the hp. I didn’t want to spend 2k on tabs because it wasn’t worth it . I also couldn’t raise the engine any further without significant work. I found a solution for 100$ that worked great. Not sure why you are saying it’s unfounded . It may not work for your particular boat but for some situations it’s good cheap option.

Oh whatever blah blah. Lots of guys run them in Sooke if that's where your going. Why does it bother you? You know it is possible that others might do things differently on there boats?

Are you going to tell me to paint my boat color of your Hourston next LOLOLOL?

Last edited:
Back