Sturgeon fishing

rigg dogg

We booked a 3 day trip with STS guiding, Oct 15-17th. Going to do 2 days of Sturgeon fishing and a day of Salmon and try to make a run up through Hells Gate. Looks like some WILD country.

Did some research on STS and talked with Vic the owner, seems like a good guy and anybody I talked with had good reviews.

Has anybody on the forum here ever been fishing with them??
Sounds like Oct should be one of the best times to go.

If you have stable barometric conditions then Yes October is the time to go, we have had amazing results some days.

Being guided usually means good bait and that makes all the difference, that being said I've seen some really lazy guides on the Fraser, ones who pull all the lines when someone hooks a four footer instead of leaving them in and trying for a double header then taking another 10 minutes to put all the lines back in.

Others will leave a hot bite to 'go for a ride' to some other spot, in fact I see that all the time it's just plain stupid to leave fish to find fish.

Another lazy guide trick on the Fraser is to want to take pictures of some mid sized fish and crossing at a snail's pace to the far side of the river, monkeying around seemingly forever and then crawling back to the original spot.

We saw one guide waste 90</u> minutes</u> doing this slow motion chicken dance all the time we were catching releasing Sturgeon between 5' and 7' one after another fishing was red hot and those guys that paid so much were stretching their legs on the beach, total Bee Ess IMO

So you'll have to be proactive and let the guide know you want to fish not act like a dumbass tourist eurogeek.

Hell's Gate is fine for a boat ride I've done it in a raft 3 times but how much are you paying to sit in a boat and go WHOOPEE!!!?

How much fishing will you be doing up there compared to paying for someone to drive you around?

Most of the drivers are quite conservative you can see the videos on fishingwithrod.com they don't punch the standing waves much just sort of slip around them, easier on their kidneys and the boat.

The Fraser Canyon is a unique place that's been settled for thousands of years first by natives, then gold panners and now local rednecks and hippies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

Hey guys thanks for the info!!!
We might book a seperate day for a tour up through the Gate instead. We will see how the fishing is for the first 2 days then decide from there.

Poppa that is a HOGGGGGGG!!!!!! If we can catch one even close to that I will be a very happy man [8D][8D]

You will be going out at one of the best times of the year for sturgeon. Also Sept. will be pretty good as well as it is a pink year and the Dinos will be gorging on carcasses as long as they can.
The canyon has been showing good numbers of huge sturgeon this year. Up by Yale has a few slower pools that are hot for monsters. Its a bit of a road trip but worth the ride.
I put my jet in at Hope to save fuel and time running upriver from Chilliwack. If you know where you're going its loads of fun.

IAFF Local #18 (Vancouver Fire Rescue)

Steve-

You go up the canyon often?
I did that run for the first time last summer (up to Yale) and it was one of the best trips/rides I have ever done! What great scenery once past Hope, lik you are in a different world!!

Mike

Steve-

You go up the canyon often?
I did that run for the first time last summer (up to Yale) and it was one of the best trips/rides I have ever done! What great scenery once past Hope, lik you are in a different world!!

Mike

I was wondering what size of boat you need if you launch near yale? I have a 22 foot Trophy with a prop motor and I know this will not work for that area but I was thinking of buying a smaller boat for playing on the river. Is is possible to fish for Sturgeon from shore. I was also wondering if I could use my Trophy its a fiberglass boat for sturgeo near the Mission or Vancouver area. I would need safe water and a boat launch.

Thanks
JAC

quote:Originally posted by JAC

I was wondering what size of boat you need if you launch near yale? I have a 22 foot Trophy with a prop motor and I know this will not work for that area but I was thinking of buying a smaller boat for playing on the river. Is is possible to fish for Sturgeon from shore. I was also wondering if I could use my Trophy its a fiberglass boat for sturgeon near the Mission or Vancouver area. I would need safe water and a boat launch.

Thanks
JAC
Yes you could use your Trophy near Mission the launch beside the bridge should do it's deep enough.

That being said you have to pay close attention to your sounder because the channels are wonky/don't run where you think they will.

Then there's the anchoring issue, you want to be able to cast off your anchor at a moment's notice and then come back and anchor up @ the same spot.

Using a big buoy and a slip knot is what works for us (14' Lund).

You also have to be ready to move</u> butt</u> @ a moment's notice because of barges/log booms headed your way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

There is lots of good water in the lower river for using a boat like yours. I used my 21 ft lots till i got a jet. Just keep checking the sounder and keep a good lookout for larger commercial traffic.

Back