Stuck wheel

Fisherman Rob

Trying to remove old steering wheel and it seems it's pretty stuck. I've soaked with some WD40, so that might help. The plastic edges are not strong enough to hold the claws of a puller. Any ideas?

IMG_0963.jpg

I would try an industrial penetrating oil, I recommend Kroll, it's available in aerosol can.
It's expensive around $15 US

Jim

"Double hammer trick"
Thread the nut on to protect the threads, get your knees behind the steering wheel prying up, use one hand to hold a ball peen hammer against the nut, but also gripping the steering wheel at the top prying. Then tap the ball peen with another hammer. Or get someone to help, lift up on steering wheel while you tap the ball peen.
One hammer works but more of a chance to damage threads by not hitting square.

Thanks for the double hammer tip canso, but still no luck.

sudsy I have that puller and the problem is the claws just tear through the plastic.

sudsy I have that puller and the problem is the claws just tear through the plastic.

Hit it harder. Thats how I was show how to get them off. Hit it hard!

Spin the nut on flush with the top of the stud. Get someone to put some pulling pressure on it (lots of pull) then double hammer it. I've freed some pretty stuck wheels at work this way.

"Double hammer trick"
Thread the nut on to protect the threads, get your knees behind the steering wheel prying up, use one hand to hold a ball peen hammer against the nut, but also gripping the steering wheel at the top prying. Then tap the ball peen with another hammer. Or get someone to help, lift up on steering wheel while you tap the ball peen.
One hammer works but more of a chance to damage threads by not hitting square.

Yep thats the way to do it. Use a brass drift so you dont knarl up the threads

Try putting a piece of metal behind for it bite into...maybe a wrench or something similar...my wheel is a stainless steel so didn't have that problem.

You might try using a 3 jaw puller and remove the three claws and replace with chain or cable and wrap around the spokes on the steering wheel. You will need to protect the finish on the steering wheel spokes. You do risk damage to the steering wheel.

Jim

I would think some of the methods already mentioned would work...
can you remove the wheel and hydraulic steering assembly (or is it cable?) and take it to a small press? you could then block up the 3 spokes of the wheel with 2X4's and some soft rags or hard foam, etc and try pressing it out....
I'm surprised their aren't any threaded holes in it for a puller such as this...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=remove+steering+wheel&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj9852KpO7MAhUBVmMKHbwUCzcQ_AUICCgC&biw=1536&bih=730#imgrc=npb_qaXiurh_ZM:

Last edited:
Thanks for everyones input. Finally got'er done! This was one of those projects which is supposed to take 10 minutes, and ends up taking hours and hours. with every tool dragged from the basement into the boat that could possibly be thrown at it...

I hammered and hammered, but it just wouldn't go. Eventually I gave up on trying to keep the old wheel, and ended up carving it up with a drill and saw into a shape I could get the puller firmly anchored to. It created a BIG MESS of plastic:
IMG_0966.jpg

I think the new one is MUCH better. The boat will now steer so much better now... right?!
IMG_0968.jpg

You are a "get'er done type of guy".lol Looks good.

Much nicer! Good job

hope you put some grease on the shaft and key so it will be easier down the road to take off ...I apply grease to every nut and bolt that i can find on boat way easier when it comes to take off stuff...preventive maintenance
was going to ask why save the wheel then saw the wrecked one that what i call "GETER DONE"
LOL

have to agree... alot nicer wheel!

Thanks for everyones input. Finally got'er done! This was one of those projects which is supposed to take 10 minutes, and ends up taking hours and hours. with every tool dragged from the basement into the boat that could possibly be thrown at it...

I hammered and hammered, but it just wouldn't go. Eventually I gave up on trying to keep the old wheel, and ended up carving it up with a drill and saw into a shape I could get the puller firmly anchored to. It created a BIG MESS of plastic:I
View attachment 27762

I think the new one is MUCH better. The boat will now steer so much better now... right?!
View attachment 27763

I hammered and hammered, but it just wouldn't go. Eventually I gave up on trying to keep the old wheel, and ended up carving it up with a drill and saw into a shape I could get the puller firmly anchored to. It created a BIG MESS of plastic:
View attachment 27762

View attachment 27763
I occasionally go with the same philosophy... Force it, if it breaks it needed replacing anyway!

Looks like it was not a hydraulic helm. For those with hydraulic helms you need to be more careful.
If you have a Seastar hydraulic helm, you do not want to be hammering or prying on the wheel. In my view the only safe way to remove the wheel without the significant possibility of damaging the helm, especially the seals, is with a gear puller that puts equal pressure on the helm shaft as it does pulling on the wheel. Sometimes when the wheel is frozen on with corrosion and pressure and breaks lose it sounds like a gun shot.

Back