Stream altering on farm

seascene

Crew Member
Hello,
I noticed on a local salmon stream here in Port Alberni on Somers Rd where Bear Creek crosses it.... a land owner has made a mud bank of one side of the stream and asked conservation folks about it. Apparently not a problem... however, the bank once lush is now a mud bank and salmon migrate this creek. Below is the reply:

I wanted to thank you for reporting the works happening in Bear Creek off Somers Rd. I did follow up with your report and have concluded that the work in Bear creek was an authorized Salmon Habitat Enhancement project. This project along with several others in the Alberni Valley are being done to enhance salmon populations and habitat. Thank you again for your report, it is better verify compliance than to enforce regulations after the environment has been harmed.

Cheers

Steve Ackles

Conservation Officer

Port Alberni

B.C.DSCN1709.jpgDSCN1708.jpgDSCN1710.jpg

You did the right thing by reporting the work being done on that stream. As someone that is involved with salmon enhancement on streams here on the island i know that it can look like we are making a mess when the work is being done. I'm not involved with that project but I can tell you if this project is approved by DFO then they have plans to make that stream section salmon friendly. Have a little faith....

Back