Storing prawn line

Liking the laundry basket idea as it will be a smaller footprint. Have tape on the line where to add the second trap but the idea of another tape marker to remind me it is time to add the Scotchman is brilliant. I have chucked a favourite flasher and spoon over the side thinking it was connected to the mainline, so anything is possible, lol.

Running 400' of blue floating spliced to 100' of weighted line (Scotchman end) and Ladner traps. Shar Kare pellets and the oil I fry halibut in drizzled on top for bait. Friend supplied the puller but I can see that's the next purchase.

Then I'm set to get some more free prawns.

Having been victimized numerous times by trap raiders, I use as small a lead core line as possible. At least they will pay a big price if they don't have a puller.

I'm not saying you're guilty of this at all.... But on the topic of trap raiders and thieves. When I did a commercial prawn season we pulled up an obscene! amount of submerged gear that was improperly set. I can only assume that whenever that happens people claim their gear was stolen. If you set in a location with current and don't have much weight either built into your traps or attached then consider them gone. Just thought I'd mention it because I was blown away with all the gear we brought up.... Another thing to consider is tugboats.... Lol. Try to set in a spot where there isn't a decent amount of log towing going on. They work day and night and wont be steering around your gear.

I agree a high high percentage of stolen gear was more likely lost especially if it's left out overnight. A simple peice of driftwood can catch your line and drag your traps away. Most people probably saw KK's post with a huge kelp island dragging away 5 crab traps. Abandon your gear and who knows what will happen to it.

No stolen traps. Just opened and quickly thrown back.

What exactly is the floating blue commercial line and does is kink like the yellow rope? There are sooooo many ropes. The yellow rope tends to kink a lot so I'm thinking of changing rope.

What exactly is the floating blue commercial line and does is kink like the yellow rope? There are sooooo many ropes. The yellow rope tends to kink a lot so I'm thinking of changing rope.

How are you kinking it? Just curious. I have used the cheap yellow for many years now and replace it every 3 or 4 years. It coils just great in a garbage can and I just use in line weights to keep it down. I use the slightly more expensive stuff. But for the price I pay for a 1300 ' spool it's worth it. I don't have any kink's (in my line anyway's lol).

muck-bucket.jpg
Muck Bucket. They stack and if you hit the motherload, you can put all the bugs in one.
As previously stated, put some holes in the bottom and off you go.
These things are pretty cheap at the ChinoisMart.

GS

I do all my loops with heat shrink tube. The stuff with the glue in it.No messing around splicing and its strong as hell .

I'm not saying you're guilty of this at all.... But on the topic of trap raiders and thieves. When I did a commercial prawn season we pulled up an obscene! amount of submerged gear that was improperly set. I can only assume that whenever that happens people claim their gear was stolen. If you set in a location with current and don't have much weight either built into your traps or attached then consider them gone. Just thought I'd mention it because I was blown away with all the gear we brought up.... Another thing to consider is tugboats.... Lol. Try to set in a spot where there isn't a decent amount of log towing going on. They work day and night and wont be steering around your gear.

I totally agree. Too many are too quick to claim theft.

A buddy lost two traps last week in Howe sound. One was gone completly on Wednesday and the other one (Friday) had the rope cut off. As they were heading for there traps they noticed a commercial style boat driving away from one of there trapS . They could see it was still there so they pull the first trap and when the went to pull the second one it had been cut off at about a hundred feet. Can figure that one out. Why cut it off. It was lead rope so running it over isnt likely but ??
Theres some kind of commecial fishing going on in the area right now ,maybe test fishing or First nation, not sure ???? Possibly they got tangled and cut them off ?? Strange to say the least !!

Back