Storing prawn line

Bows Up

Went prawning today for the first time and it worked out quite well. Much of the gear, bait etc was selected from past posts on this site and the good folks at Redden in Campbell River. Thanks to all.

Wondering how people store their 500' of line. For this outing I put one line on a spool (on an upright dowel) that kept up with the line hauler. The other went on a
garden hose winder, the ones with a lid. Not a bad seat, either.

Never been on a boat prawning so nothing to copy. Do you put it in a bucket or what ?

Hose winder wasn't bad and with a downrigger base would give you a nice wind standing up.

Baby bathtub just let it fall into the tub don't worry about getting it perfect that's how you end up with a mess.

Or one of these-somewhat bigger and overall easier to store things in (if your boat will handle it).

2244bluemist_sm.jpg

Never been on a boat prawning so nothing to copy. Do you put it in a bucket or what ?
Hose winder wasn't bad and with a downrigger base would give you a nice wind standing up.

I found buckets are too small and tight for the line. I use big plastic totes (like dogbreath shows) with a few drain holes in the bottom. The line coils in around the sides naturally and without kinks or tangles. It goes out just as easily. There's room in the middle for the scotsman and the tote's easy to carry.

I let it coil on the floor, then throw it in the round style prawn trap. Leaded rope seems to coil with little effort.

Same as canso works for me also. Pretty compact set up, 4 taps stacked with the rope for two sets of two traps coiled and stored in the top trap of the stack, Scotsman will fit in the middle of the coiled rope.

X2. I easily store my line and ball in one. Use 2. 600 feet for 2 traps, 100 feet apart.

X3.....if using round ladner traps , put line inside trap , and float on top.... BUT make sure to empty bait cup and rinse or rats will eat thru webbing

I should have mentioned that I drill 1/2 inch holes in the sides for air circulation.

The cage of a commercial style strap works really good. You can coil it up really nice, rinse it and if you have a lots of line it's easy to carry.

I did a commercial season and that's how we moved our ground line around, 2 people could pick up and move wet line when stored this way.

I have always used a round stand up style plastic laudary basket. It holds 4 350 foot ropes. It makes it really easy to rinse the ropes off after as well since the sides are full of holes all the way around right to the bottom. It has worked well for me and and seems to keep the line in good condition since it really gets a chance to dry out. I have my clips backbraided on the ends of the ropes and keep them clipped to the top of the basket. I have the 25 foot marked with red tape at the other end so I know when its getting time to clip on my float and slow down a bit....lol

I've tried buckets and baskets - too small. Tried a garbage can - too big (heavy) and hard to store. I don't enjoy moving containers with 3 wet ropes it's doable but lifting in/out of the boat on my own can be tough.

I'm going to try recycle bins next. 2 ropes per bin then 2 ropes in the top prawn trap of the stack. I use a recycle bin for my hali anchor they work great.

Garbage can user here. All my ropes fit in it and it takes up less deck space. I use the cheap yellow poly rope so it coils pretty nice in the garbage can. I color code my ropes with different colors on the ends. I have never had a tangle yet.

Plastic washtubs/bushel baskets. Used to get them at old navy, lee valley and super store sell similar. These are flexible and will stack inside round traps. Also very handy to dump your catch in when working pots

Round rubbermaids with the rope handles work great for me . 900' (2 ,450') sections in each looped ends with stainles clips ,color coded ends and never had a problem. Someone said something about rats getting to his traps ??? I just spent a few hr fixing ALL my traps after a rat started at the top and went down to the bottom of my stack of 14 traps. A hole bigger than my fist in every one and the bottom two i guess it couldnt find its way out and those two are shot.
note to self.... hang traps up so rats cant get to them!

Having been victimized numerous times by trap raiders, I use as small a lead core line as possible. At least they will pay a big price if they don't have a puller.

Back