Storing Leaders and Used tackle

nedarb2

Hey guys,
i did a search on this already but didnt find quite what i was looking for.
2 questions on gear organziationb, pictures would be awesome if you have them too!

1. How do you store your leaders (for teaser heads) on board? Does anyone use foam and wrap around that, or tackle trays, or??

2. After using your gear, what do you do with it? I dont like wrapping it up and putting it away becasue hooks rust and then you have a tackle box/tray full or rusty hooks you will never use anyways. What ive been trying to do is bring along bucket, throw everything i use in the bucket, and then rinse with fresh water at the end of the day and then go through it and re-oragnize. any suggestions to that?

I don't have a good solution for storing leaders - am using straw's , but it kinks the leader more than I like.

As for the corrosion, I think I finally found a good solution. I have always rinsed all my gear with fresh water after every trip, but I still found that the hooks corroded pretty quickly.

Recently I started using Salt Away, either mix in a spray bottle and spray on, or dunk it in a container with pre mixed Salt Away solution on the boat. No more corroded hooks.

Hey Enniberg....

I do use the foam to roll them around but am thinking I may try and find a bigger diameter roll as if you have a longer leader it takes a lot of wraps around the smaller size foam.

In saying that though....they work great.

I use the smallest zip locks available...they are made for small snacks like a couple of cookies or such...works well

I did try using straws before however the mono leader tends to kink and I am told by a fishing guru friend of mine that a spring will turn up his nose at kinky leaders.

Turn their nose up at Kinky leaders? Wow I would like to see that study. I don't mean to sound synical...but that is a smidge on the hard to believe side.

Those things you see kids using in pools a long piece of foam seen many guys use that stuff. no kinks and sticks in great for the hooks.

Wolf

I'm not sure how popular it is out there, but here all the hardware stores sell foam insulation for your water pipes. It is about 2 1/4" in dia. and has a slit down one side. It works GREAT for leaders!

I use a thin piece of plasticor board, with notches cut in both ends and wrap my teaser heads on that and place them in my tackle box trays. Works great.

I use squares of corrugated cardboard. Can stick hooks and swivels in the end (corrugations) of those no problem and each wrapped leader then goes in a small ziploc bag. You can label the cardboard with leader length, breaking strain, date, anything you want. And yes, rinsing all leaders, spoons, and flashers in fresh water after the trip is a must!

Hey guys,
i did a search on this already but didnt find quite what i was looking for.
2 questions on gear organziationb, pictures would be awesome if you have them too!

1. How do you store your leaders (for teaser heads) on board? Does anyone use foam and wrap around that, or tackle trays, or??

2. After using your gear, what do you do with it? I dont like wrapping it up and putting it away becasue hooks rust and then you have a tackle box/tray full or rusty hooks you will never use anyways. What ive been trying to do is bring along bucket, throw everything i use in the bucket, and then rinse with fresh water at the end of the day and then go through it and re-oragnize. any suggestions to that?
I actually don't keep pre-tied leaders for any hootcies, plugs, etc. Way to easy (for me) to just tie as needed. For teaser heads, I may or may not pre-tie a couple. It is nice to have extra ready to go, when the bite is on. For the few I use that are pre-tied from the factory, I put them back in what they came from the factory in.

I don't roll or keep any pre-tied anything in tackle drawers, anymore. I do have several places where I keep pre-tied from one day to the next, when I know I will be re-using. Favorite spot is the bait station (which has a sink). Sink gets some freshwater and soap. Teaser heads, spoons, plugs, flashers, etc. goes in sink. I let the swivels and any leaders hang outside down the side of the bait station. No or very few tangles that way. If something is changed out, it and everything goes in the sink that way I and everyone knows where to go looking for it.

At the end of the day, everything in sink is inspected, rinsed, and dried which isn't going to be used the next morning with all leaders and swivels cut off. Back to the tackle drawers, including hooks. That way it doesn't rust and everyone (me) knows where to find it. If, I know it will be used again it is left in the sink with swivles and leaders allowed to hang down the side. Swivels and leaders are NOT allowed in that sink (or bucket), as I am tired of trying to untangle that mess created.

I don't like re-using bait; however, if I am running short I have been known to throw the teaser head (and halibut bait), back into my brine bucket. Same-same, leave those swivels and leaders hanging out side that bucket!

Last edited by a moderator:
I should clarify that I have pre-tied hook sets in a Plano leader box and then pre-tied hooks with teaser heads in the bags. I have at least 6 or 7 tray boxes of teaser heads that are not pre-rigged as well. Those are modified and ready to use but no leaders attached. I'm running out of room on board to store all this stuff and now keep much of it in totes inside the truck so it is still close at hand but not being lugged all over the ocean.

x2 Charlie on the speed tie. I only keep 4-6 pre-tied hook sets around at any given time. Normally tie up at night for the next days fishing.

Pool noodle for leader/hook keeper. A nice one foot length makes a handy storeable option for kink free leaders. Just put a nick in the foam every inch or so and it will keep the ends from dangling about.

If we are fishing a few days in a row, we don't normally have a problem with rust. But if we are day tripping with a few days in between each trip we'll replace hooks that show any sign of corrosion. Wipe down everything after a fresh water splash, seems to do the trick.

Tst

Don't you just chuck them on the dash?

I only tie up two of what I really like to use as i tend to change up leaders alot just because im really fussy I used to tie up gear like you wouldnt believe only to be left for years this way i know i have fresh line on at all times

In my boat the ones up on the dash are usually the screwed up ones that need to be retied.

I agree with Charlie as well. After spending years of collecting hundreds of lures I finally realize that I tend to use the same ones that I have had good success with. I usually tie 4 to 6 teaser heads each night before heading out if I'm fishing the beach and the same for spoons and plugs if I'm going offshore.

I keep a small bucket that I use to hang my used rigs for the day and use the straw method to keep the leaders tidy till I get them home to rinse off. I haven't been too worried about the kinking of the leader since I was told long ago that Spring's aren't leader shy? And to quote someone from another forum that said "If Spring's were leader shy than there could never of been a commercial fishery for them?" Makes sense to me........although at times it might be a small factor? IMO Probably more commies out there that are worried about losing gear than leader diameter or kinking issues?

Anyways.........once I have rinsed the gear I used for the day I dry it off and if its spoons and swivels they get a quick shot of WD40 before retying for the next day. Once tied......they get hung in the bucket and back to the boat in the morning........Just my two cents! lol :)

Back