Stocked Trout

Steelhead S2

Anybody know what strain of rainbow they pump into the Island lakes? I though they were triploids, but I cleaned a bunch yesterday that seems to have *** organs. All males though? The are all little football shaped fish, just like triploids. Puzzled.

According to the stocking records, the fish in Spectacle are Fraser Valley 3N triploids. Here's some info them:

From this site:
http://gofishbc.com/docs/2208A06B4B85CFDB.pdf

"Triploidization (3N) – Currently, the FFSBC induces triploidy through the
application of hydrostatic pressure shocking or heated water to the eggs shortly after
fertilization. This technique results in the retention of the second polar body normally
extruded shortly after fertilization creating three sets of chromosomes instead of the usual
two sets. The result is sterility in both males and females. This triploidization method
can achieve 100% triploidy if the technique has been optimized for the species.

The benefits of sterility include increased size due to the fact that energy usually diverted
into reproductive development can go to somatic (body) growth, and the inability to
reproduce or mate with other hatchery or wild individuals. Sterility is different
depending on the *** of the fish. Female triploids are hormonally and functionally sterile (i.e. no ovary development or behaviour changes). Male triploids are infertile but still
produce hormones that cause changes associated with maturation including deterioration
of flesh quality, early mortality and the development of testes and other secondary ***
characteristics. In addition, they demonstrate “false” spawning behaviour, including
migration and interactions with other fish on the spawning beds but an inability to
reproduce. "

I'll also add that according to the stocking records, the majority of Island lakes get these FV3N's. Some lakes get AF3N's (All female triploids).

Thanks guys. Just assumed triploidization was clear cut. Dumb assumption I guess. Also explains why some were coloured up.

Even trips still have there junk. It just doesnt work. It's like a dude gettin a vas.

Back