Sting Ray hydro foil

seagal

Just wondering if any of you guys have or have had any experience using a hydro foil on your lower leg and what you found to be the pros and cons. I run a 16ft. double eagle with a 90 e-tec. Over all the boats performance has been excellent. However in heavier water or when running, if I turn the boat hard to port or starboard it will lean hard to the side I'm turning to. I was told that a hydro foil might provide the stability I'm looking for. Any advice would be great.

I think you are thinking of a dolfin. It gets you up on plane quicker. Some time used to stop porpoising. To get stability people put trim tabs on . Not usually on that small of boat. By the way ,how do you like the e tec. What is your top speed and how is the ecomomy. Thanks Willyd

I have one and it works great.

My boat would porpoise when full of fuel. I added the fin and no problems since. It also helps get up on step easier and does provide a little side to side stability as well.

My boat is a 18" Aluminum w/a115 Yammy.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Sitkaspruce

I have one and it works great.

My boat would porpoise when full of fuel. I added the fin and no problems since. It also helps get up on step easier and does provide a little side to side stability as well.

X 2. Been running them for years, specifically the Stingray series for smaller rigs. MUCH quicker out of the hole, overall ride is more stable, and I usually realize a slight decrease in fuel consumption.
Current 16' whaler knock-off wouldn't be without one. [^]

Cheers,
Nog

Have a used set for sale cheap.

They really work great, and give you a lot more trim options. They are exceptionally effective at stopping skipping if you have a pod on your boat. Not so important if you run dual power, but with a single they are great.

Searun

th_067.jpg

I found on a smaller boat all the positives already listed. In your case, I think it will solve your too sharp turning issue. I found on a sixteen foot boat I installed one on that it definitely slowed the turns down. The only negative I found was that the added drag took away from the top speed a little bit.

I have used several different types over the years and ‘StingRay’ has preformed the best for me. It should improve your performance. I never noticed any loss of top-end? I liked them so much on my smaller boats, I installed them on my current boat. I initially had problems with them staying on and kept losing them. I contacted Marine-Dynamics and they modified their design to work for my boat-no charge, impressed me! Worked great after their modifications, until I hit a log – then when the stabilizer came off, so did my zinc and a large portion of the cavitation plate?

So one gone, took the other off. I now have “one” used: Sting Ray XRIII Hydrofoil Stabilizer - XRIII Senior, engines 75 hp to 300 hp. Want to make me an offer?

DSC01311-1-2.jpg

Hey Seagal I sold my double eagle a couple months ago but and I had one on it. It really helps on the hole shot which with the e-tec you should not be worried about anyways but it will not really help make you more stabile.

any questions PM me

cheers,

boat-2.jpg

great for small under/moderately powered boats. if you love to go fast, (50 mph+) it's like driving with your parking brake on.

The main difference on my 17 Double Eagle was that the hydrofoil cut down on bow rise coming out of the hole especially when motor trimmed efficiently. This makes for quicker out of hole. It also cut down on cavitation in a sharp turn. I noticed very little or no difference in top end speed nor stability improvement.
The only disadvantage I can think of was installation time ( could have been fishing instead) and of course it wasn't free ....but worth it.

I had the same one that Charlie mentioned. If I'm not mistaken it's the "no-drill" type. It uses the zinc to hold it in place along with two friction clamps on the sides. Installed in about 10 minutes.

I had it on my 19' Seaswirl with a Yamaha 115. The boat was a bit underpowered and it really helped the boat get up on plane very quickly. I have read reports about the hydro foils potentially digging in on sharp turns, but never experienced that myself.

TenMile
<'((((><

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. Sounds like the pros far outweigh the cons in most applications. I think I'm going to give one a try. Can't wait, a couple more weeks and the 2010 fishing season starts for me.[:p]

I like that in addtion to some of the improved trim and performance advantages it also kinda acts a bit like a prop guard to deflect kelp and fishing line from getting wound around the prop and lower leg. It has saved me some pain several times in this regard.

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

Back