What size in back of Ranger?

I am looking for options and opinions on what you have done safely both in the truck and in the water.

We will be fishing small to mid sized lakes, Durrance to Elk size for those on the island, with an electric motor and oars. Currently have a large canoe which works great for me and the boy but would like to take both kids or 1 and the dog. I have tried a 10ft Jon and was not happy with the stability, less than my canoe. We would like to both troll, anchor up, and spin cast in that order of preference as well as fly fish if we can develop the skill and feel stable.

Anyone drive with a 12ft aluminum sticking out the back of a Ford Ranger? My methods for transport will be the truck and on top of a hard top tent trailer when we camp in the summer. The canoe goes on top of the newer van with the foam blocks but don't think a 12ft alum would be acceptable to the powers in charge. Scratch the van and I'm shot but she has agreed to buying a boat!

Trailer is not an option because lack of room and the tent trailer is what we pull for campinng and the boat needs to go on top.

So what size boat is safe and legal to stick in the back of a Ranger? I have trouble finding a 10ft aluminum used. Lots of 12's and will get into the pros and cons of brands after size is determined. Is a 12ft jon better than the 10's for stability in the water? I would like the widest beam I can find which usually means longer length. Anybody make 11ft's?

Thanks for any and all suggestions. Biaka

P.S. Go Wings Go

I may have just lost any help with that last statement!

P.S. Go Wings Go

Sorry can't help you.....
emo-coffee.gif

Maybe look for a 10ft Zod

You need an 11' 4" Boston Whaler with a Honda 15 and an electric motor on a trailer. Then a tent with nice air mattresses. PM if interested in my 11'4" Boston Whaler with Honda 15 and electric motor on a trailer.

Thanks guys

I have thought about the zodiac but have always felt uncomfortable after sitting in one for a few hours. Especially if your sitting on the floor. Also harder to modify to hold gear etc..

Love the boston-whaler idea just a little high on the dollar chart and going back to the tent is "NOT a f_ing chance". She doesn't demand luxury but the tent is for me, boy and dog when we camp. She wants off the ground and I guess I am used to it too when we all go. Works better than the tent when it starts pouring out.

Anybody put a 12ft in the back of thier trucks? Ranger of size I mean. I think I am stuck at the 10ft level just having a hard time finding a used v-hull 10ft. Looked at one that was more expensive and in worse shape than any of the 12's I have seen.

If anybody knows of one hanging around please let me know.

I did just find out about the deal on the trekkers Jon boats. Buy this week and get a $500 gift card to Bass pro shop. Could buy the motor and fish finder etc that way. Sound like a good deal? anybody gone that way?

Thanks, Biaka

As said above go for a zodiac they are stable, easy to store and easy to transport. You could stick it out of the back of your truck for short local trips (keep in mind the boat will be too wide but you can angle and strap it down). You can also deflate it and pack it with you to a more remote area if your going camping then blow it up with an air pump that plugs into your car lighter. It doesn't take long to inflate using that method. All I had was a zodiac growing up and I hit many local lakes and caught lots of fish. Still have one actually 2 now!

Hey how much for that bostom whaler tubber? Can never have too many boats!

(oops just noticed you responsed above regarding the zodiak idea. You don't sit on the floor one man sits on the seat and the other man sits on the tube back by the motor if it only has one seat. I've got a post in the buy/sell looking for a 15-50hp motor check out the picture of the zodiak in that thread it was purchased for $500)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not go for the 12 ft tinny with a trailer. When you go camping take it off the trailer and throw it on top of the tent trailer. Or you could get a rack so it mounts over the cab of you truck. Just a thought.

You need an 11' 4" Boston Whaler with a Honda 15 and an electric motor on a trailer. Then a tent with nice air mattresses. PM if interested in my 11'4" Boston Whaler with Honda 15 and electric motor on a trailer.
Tubber PM sent

Unless your Ranger is a long box, a 12 would be too long I think, maybe even too wide. I have a 10 foot Tracker Jon and you are right, they are tippy. A 12 in this brand is not much better. There are some Jon's that have a very wide beam, google Marlon or Sprately, but muchos dineros.

My 13' Inflatable is very fishable, and VERY stable...I can jump up and down on the pontoon and not worry about it flipping, or moving much for that matter. Very stable boats. As far as comfort, theres no better comfort than sitting on the pontoon!

Ive ran downriggers and 4 rods off my inflatable with not much trouble...2 rod holders and a downrigger on the transom (plus an electric motor), as well as the main 9.9hp motor. and two rod holders in the forward seat.

verry fishy boat!

Attachments

• 0821111436b.jpg
    0821111436b.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 52
Have you considered a rack for your truck? There lots of boat specific racks with winch systems which will practically load it for you. This would enable you to move up to a larger, beamier 12 footer like a Princecraft Ungava. They are deep and stable. If you get something too small or too unstable you just won't want to use it. 2 kids, a dog and an adult is going to be very cramped in a Jon boat.

Sent from my HTC

I would suggest a 12ft. Lund on a lite trailer, with a 9hp outboard and couple of manual Scotty's with a cheap Lowrance or Eagle depth sounder and your good to go.;) eman

I have a Ranger....I also have a 10ft.harbercraft aluminum and a 10ft Jon boat.

Both fit in the back witha about a two foot overhang with the tailgate down.

The Jon boat is lighter than the harbercraft but it is thinner hull....and I'm always wary when I slide it over gravel onto the beach.

The harbercraft is alittle heavier, not too good for one person to lift, but it is much sturdier build and more stable.

My ten foot Jon with me and thewife in is tippy at times.......especially if you both lean over to one side too much.

I had to scout around to find the ten foot alumunim rowboat. Finally found one on this site down in Sooke.

If I built dollywheels for the harbercraft it would be a piece of cake launching in most places.

The Jon does not have all that great weight capacity.....the harbercraft has much more.

The Jon is good for one person by themselves.....can carry it off the truck easy.

If my wife's along.....I take the harbercraft. Me and her can lift it easy off the truck and huck it down to the lakeshore.

I would have bought a WalkerBay 10ft.......but it is too heavy for solo IMO.

I like to row.....never use my electric motor.

Both rigs fit well in the back of the ranger as is. 12ft version might be a problem width-wise.

I run a red flag off the back even though mine are 10ft.

My 10ft jon weighs about 80 lbs. I think.

Harbercraft probably about 95 or so.

A lot of places we launch, there is no ramp ,no dock......just a gnarly trail with a gravel beach.

That's usually when the fun starts... getting the boat to the shore (and back).

Which is why weight is a big factor. I don't like inflatable hulls in these situations. There are too many things out there in the boonies that can put a hole in them quick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys

First, thanks for all the great responses, very helpful, except Lipripper but I think he may have Cup envy!

Everybody has great reasons for the boats the use and that is exactly what I was looking for. I havee looked a little more at the inflatables and although I haven't ruled them out I am still leaning towards a fixed hull. I think the main reason is because I am looking to modify and that is much easier with a permanent setup.

Seafever you response was exactly the direction I have been heading. I think I have now ruled out any 12ft's, trailering is not an option with the pickup, so it needs to fit in back of truck. I like your answers to the jon versus V-hull and I think you have made the desicion for me. I need the stability of the v-hull and have the ability to move a heavier boat.

Thanks for the help guys, any other suggestion are appreciated. If you know of a V-Hull 10ft available please let me know.
James

P.S. Sorry Lipripper I had to add that. Appreciate the help.

My daughter, 7 wants to know why the baby is smoking! I said stress from being a Canucks fan!

She's a Penguin fan so we argue alot!

I feel like I just got kicked in the nuts :(

:D

Motor city is my #2 and been that way for many years.

And you can tell the daughter its because I am a smoking baby.... ask my wife.

Back